4 5 6
andy_b
andy_b New Reader
5/23/22 8:30 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

In reply to Duke :

I didnt see it metioned, but the OP said he doesn't want to do any objectives.  Seems he is looking more for a sandbox style game.

That said, if Portal works, also check out AntiChamber, Quantumn Conundrum, The Stanley Parable, and Q.U.B.E. 2

I would add Turing Test to that list.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/24/22 9:04 a.m.

I've finally goten around to playing Hollow Knight. Quite enjoying that at the moment.

Definitely one of the harder and frequently more frustrating games in that style. Doesn't give as much direction and leaves you to figure a lot out for yourself. My biggest frustration comes when banging my head against the wall of a tough boss battle or similarly difficult section where I repeatedly die, and the tedium of getting sent back to the previous save point and having to work my way back to the section I'm trying to get to. That and not really knowing how much of banging my head against the wall is because I'm lacking an ability, or just because it's tougher than my current skill level.

Still good and I'm enjoying it. I would say I enjoyed the Ori games (especially Will o' the Wisp) more.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/24/22 9:07 a.m.
andy_b said:
ProDarwin said:

In reply to Duke :

I didnt see it metioned, but the OP said he doesn't want to do any objectives.  Seems he is looking more for a sandbox style game.

That said, if Portal works, also check out AntiChamber, Quantumn Conundrum, The Stanley Parable, and Q.U.B.E. 2

That was a lot more fun than it had a right to be. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/8/22 9:39 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
ProDarwin said:

Hades has won numerous awards and received all around praise for the last ~2? years.  I need to add it to my wishlist and pick it up next time its on sale.

You missed a recent sale.

I say don't wait. Next time you're looking for a new game, buy Hades. It's well worth the $25 full price tag. Or add it to a Steam wishlist and grab it immediately the next time you see it on sale. Then pause whatever else you've been playing and get sucked in. Looks like it goes on sale every couple months.

I finally snagged this during the steam sale and played it for a bit last night.  Its good so far.

Edit:  but no 21:9 support?  What is this, 2005?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/8/22 9:50 a.m.
andy_b said:
ProDarwin said:

In reply to Duke :

Also Talos Principle and Magrunner

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/8/22 10:02 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
andy_b said:
ProDarwin said:

In reply to Duke :

Also Talos Principle and Magrunner

Also Superliminal.  Its a little on the short side, but its really well done.  Its portal but with mind-bending perspective stuff instead of portals.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/8/22 10:06 a.m.

Also check out the first QUBE game (I played Director's Cut), maybe we can make a thread on which choice you tried at the end and why wink

calteg
calteg SuperDork
7/9/22 5:27 p.m.
Mndsm said:

And then of course, the marquee title, tiny Tina's wonderlands. It's from the borderlands games, but different. It's still a shoot and loot, but there's a lot more rpg elements to it and a focus on goblins and skeletons and stuff as opposed to robots and weird mutants. It's sucked up all my time lately. 

Tiny Tina is amazing, but I don't know that it holds up well enough for me to want to do another run with a different character.

If OP likes older titles, an independent group remade the original Half Life with modern graphics, it's called Black Mesa and it's fantastic. Along the same lines, there's a very good Doom homage called Dusk that I'm playing right now that's really good.

Last year  I was absolutely blown away by Control. The lore, the soundtrack, the gameplay, all of it was absolutely incredible. It's not necessarily open world, but absolutely worth a look.

I'll second (third?) everyone else saying Fallout. The entire series is absolutely brilliant, I've put thousands of hours into the series. New Vegas is the best, but there's an independent team releasing a large mod for Fallout 4 at the end of the year, so it might be worth starting there just due to the free content.

Hollow Knight is superb, but the bosses get much, much more difficult the deeper you get into the game. The final boss in particular is ridiculous.  If you enjoy that style of game but want an easier time, check out Ori and the Blind Forest.

Other random games I've really enjoyed: Prey, RUINER, Transistor, and I highly recommend West of Loathing if you like quirky, off-beat games. It's a very light RPG Western but the writing is absolutely hysterical

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie New Reader
7/9/22 9:51 p.m.

if you're into sci fiction type of games subnautica is a fun game, it gets boring at times because theres alot of grinding involved. 

detroit become human is another good choice based game

4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BfD5EiCDgXOoQoMnIw7IxEDR5mwvss0WC1hcWN7CoopAxJGlqO6uqmaQITdLgyeg