1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/19/08 7:45 a.m.

I think it's going down the road to its new owner. I'm going to buy a 2000 lb. axle and some 1 X 3 tubing and just mak an open trailer.

Aeronca65t, getting the wife under a helmet with wet hair first thing in the morning? This was for a trip to Arizona, New Mexico or wherever from upstate NY; not enough room on the bike to live out the winter.

Dan

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/19/08 8:18 a.m.

We spent 6 weeks on one bike trip. Started out on one bike and bought the second one on the road. Put 6K miles on it before we got it home.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
8/19/08 9:41 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Aeronca65t, getting the wife under a helmet with wet hair first thing in the morning? This was for a trip to Arizona, New Mexico or wherever from upstate NY; not enough room on the bike to live out the winter. Dan

Oh yeah, Dan, I get that for sure! My last tow vehicle didn't have air-conditoning. The Missus didn't exactly enjoy longer runs. Now we have a new, cushy van and all is well.

I thought you were just going ridin' with The Buds.

....With The Missus, whole different story.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/19/08 9:52 a.m.

Ahahaha! That's rich!

My uncle once built a sailboat in his two-car garage.

Apparently, a small sailboat is wider than a garage-door...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/19/08 10:20 a.m.

Only until the day you take the sailboat out...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/19/08 12:19 p.m.

reminds me of this top gear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ZZ7IXugno

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/19/08 12:48 p.m.

On the plus side you got a smoken deal on the trailer so you should be able to make $$ off of it

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/19/08 1:47 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: On the plus side you got a smoken deal on the trailer so you should be able to make $$ off of it 44

...specially if you come and pick it up.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
8/19/08 1:54 p.m.

Nothing a Sawsall won't cure! Either take it to the trailer or the bike... or both!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
8/19/08 2:17 p.m.

Am I the only one that thinks he should measure the length of the trailer before he modifies it so it will fit height-wise?

I kid, Dan, I kid.

If it's a steel framed trailer, sawzall around the base as if you were turning it into a flat bed. Head on over to the metal shop at Ace and get Steve to fire up the band saw and cut you 3 new pieces of channel-steel to weld onto the sides and front. Set the box on top and re-attach, only now higher. Choose size of channel based on how much height you need, and weld in some bar stock across the web of the channel for tie-downs. You'll need a filler across the top and the back of the channels, but those shouldn't be a big deal.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
8/19/08 2:31 p.m.

Get a slide out tray from an old hearse. Lay the bike on it sideways and slide it in.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/19/08 2:49 p.m.
nickel_dime wrote: Get a slide out tray from an old hearse. Lay the bike on it sideways and slide it in.

Maybe with a Harley, my jugs are horizontal, one would be full of oil real soon.

Dan

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd HalfDork
8/19/08 6:19 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I think it's going down the road to its new owner. I'm going to buy a 2000 lb. axle and some 1 X 3 tubing and just mak an open trailer.

You've already go an open trailer, you just have to cut the top off.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
8/19/08 8:58 p.m.

You know.....this image will be around the internet for eons.....always wonder how they start

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
8/20/08 12:03 a.m.

First mental image I got when I saw that pic was from the movie Men in Black, when the Bug in the Edgar suit was trying to roll his spaceship into the exterminator's van. The term "blivet" also comes to mind.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
8/20/08 1:09 a.m.

Better Caption for the "Fail" image..

Putting the bike on the new Failer!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/20/08 1:24 a.m.

More traditional:

No U Can't Haz Tralor!

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/20/08 5:49 a.m.

You guys are tough....

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/20/08 6:26 a.m.

I was thinking

Failer Trailer

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/20/08 7:14 a.m.
914Driver wrote: You guys are tough....

We wuv ya, Dan. I think oldopelguys' suggestion is the most workable; basically raise the trailer box so the bike will fit. If you decide to do that, I'd just go ahead and raise it enough to get the bike in without removing anything.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
8/20/08 10:09 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
nickel_dime wrote: Get a slide out tray from an old hearse. Lay the bike on it sideways and slide it in.
Maybe with a Harley, my jugs are horizontal, one would be full of oil real soon. Dan

That could be a problem but your wife loves you anyway or........

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/20/08 10:16 a.m.

No way! theres no room on my lot!!!!! beside it's to small even for my kyacks....

914Driver wrote: <

...specially if you come and pick it up.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/20/08 10:25 a.m.

Let the air out of the trailer tires. Then it'll fit.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
8/20/08 10:33 a.m.
ignorant wrote: I was thinking Failer Trailer

Trailur Failur

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/20/08 11:50 a.m.

Pretty Simple really. Hinge on box. Like an enclosed "clamshell" snowmobile trailer.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IcOe7Ycm1dvgESeRDXQiJbVZbHzSTwjTKBRcyWZsoju6tGp33eaxjIDJ9htyrVjt