eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/5/22 6:54 p.m.

I'm remotely helping a relative diagnose some electrical issues in their car.  This was discovered while inspecting the interior fusebox.  The wires to it were just jammed into what I think was the hot side of a couple of the fuse holders, so presumably it was just getting +12V to both wires.  He disconnected it, but I do not think it is what was causing his problem (it's a 24 year old Jeep Cherokee with multiple "upgrades").  However, we're both curious as to what in the world this is.  Any ideas?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/5/22 7:00 p.m.

Does it make noise? 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/5/22 7:18 p.m.

I didn't have him check, but wondered the same thing, if it was some sort of chime.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/5/22 7:27 p.m.

Does the relative have a stalking type ex?

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
2/5/22 7:28 p.m.

Maybe some attempt at an anti-theft device using a magnetic switch or similar?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
2/5/22 7:43 p.m.

That is a piezoelectric buzzer. 

Amazon will sell you one for about $8. They are super annoying to listen to. Feed it 12 volts. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/5/22 7:46 p.m.

Thank you everyone, that was fast!

Okay, so not likely the problem, and I have no idea why it was there.  It was my relative's car in the past and he just bought it back from who he sold it to.  Could have been there for a long time, and sounds like it is not the cause of the problems he's having.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
2/5/22 7:47 p.m.

Hot side on 2 fuses doesn't make a lot of sense unless whatever was on one of those fuses wasn't getting power when it should.  Knowing which fuses were connected might help identify what the hell they were doing, or trying to do.

On a jeep, my first assumption for horrific homebrew wiring would be an LED lightstrip....

Edit, tragically slow typer on mobile.  Already solved...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/5/22 7:53 p.m.

It was connected between the PCM / Fuel pump relay fuse and the left side park/turn/stop/etc fuse.  I wonder a little if it was added at some point because one of those was grounding out.

As for modifications, yup, it has an LED light bar, aftermarket stereo,  a winch, and wheel well lights, at least.  I haven't see the wiring jobs firsthand, so don't know if they are good or bad.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/5/22 7:55 p.m.

Buzzer, probably hooked from the hot side ot the park lights fuse to the hot side of a key on fuse, so when the lights are left on, it buzzes by grounding through whatever the load is on the other fuse.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
2/5/22 8:09 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Buzzer, probably hooked from the hot side ot the park lights fuse to the hot side of a key on fuse, so when the lights are left on, it buzzes by grounding through whatever the load is on the other fuse.

This

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/5/22 10:12 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

good idea for older cars , my express Van almost wakes the neighbors up with it warning buzzers !

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/6/22 8:56 a.m.

I need one of those to wire into a friend's car.  I am thinking wiring it into the brake light circuit would be appropriate, or maybe the reverse lights.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/6/22 11:41 a.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

If you want to be more evil, look up "annoyatron".

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bR7k7Misbw4PyI4NuTN9oaOBwH3S9TaMHuaWVXSvCOuRbUbYshv3STvr6v7YoCve