ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
2/5/19 11:45 p.m.

The wife decided to add some more HP to the collection.

This is Oz, he's a 19 hand Percheron/Warmblood cross, 6 years old. We'll see how he gets along with her Quarterhorse but they're both pretty calm.

Pro tip: Never get a hobby that eats.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
2/6/19 12:01 a.m.

I hear horses are more expensive than boats 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/6/19 5:37 a.m.

SWBO's equine money pit dyno'd out at 960 ft/lbs of torque :)

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/6/19 11:35 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

If only it stopped with the "eating" part of the digestive cycle . . .

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/6/19 11:51 a.m.

Even though horses seriously hate me, I think she's beautiful. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/6/19 11:54 a.m.

Dang, warmbloods? Does your wife do dressage? My folks own an equestrian eventing center and are DEEP into the english scene.  I avoid it entirely, but do know that my step mom owns a few Dutch Warmbloods and they're all the rage with the dressage crowd.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/6/19 11:57 a.m.

That may be the most expensive horsepower on the forum. 

He's a pretty beast though. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
2/6/19 12:27 p.m.

No horse ballet (dressage) for us. English stuff is just plain weird and the people are a little nutty.

We ride western and he'll probably end up being used for Cowboy Challenge (obstacle course on a horse) and trail riding. Her other horse, Hercules is a rock-solid Cowboy Challenge horse, he'll do anything she asks him and he's pretty bombproof. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/6/19 9:09 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I hear horses are more expensive than boats 

Horses make airplanes look cheap.

MrSmokey
MrSmokey New Reader
2/6/19 9:15 p.m.

Too bad it don’t qualify for the challenge 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
2/6/19 10:29 p.m.

He is quite the good looking horse. I started to say, "he's got a kind eye."

I wasn't sure if that would make sense to anyone here, but that's an observation from this old horseman.

It's a high compliment.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/7/19 5:08 p.m.
ShawnG said:

No horse ballet (dressage) for us. English stuff is just plain weird and the people are a little nutty.

Wait, you're calling *other* horse people nutty? You know what they say about throwing stones in glass houses...

All y'all are nuts. cheekywink

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
2/7/19 5:35 p.m.
Mezzanine said:
ShawnG said:

Wait, you're calling *other* horse people nutty? You know what they say about throwing stones in glass houses...

All y'all are nuts. cheekywink

Lol... I'm aware of the irony.

Every single horse person knows everything there is to know about horses and there is no arguing with them.

Nobody seems to bother asking the horse what they want. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/8/19 2:13 p.m.
ShawnG said:

The wife decided to add some more HP to the collection.

This is Oz, he's a 19 hand Percheron/Warmblood cross, 6 years old. We'll see how he gets along with her Quarterhorse but they're both pretty calm.

Pro tip: Never get a hobby that eats.

So, have you seen the most recent episode of "The Grand Tour"?  Hammond has a "horse rant" that was pretty epic.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
4/17/19 12:20 a.m.

Update for those who are interested.

He's been home for a month and a bit now and there has been some progress.

This "unmanageable" horse who hates men and can't be ridden is a big cuddly oaf and is damn smart.

Bit of a back story, he's 6 years old and was headed for the meat truck because the person who originally bought him and was supposed to train him gave up on him. The lady my wife got him from rescued him from the meat buyer but didn't have time for him so she passed him onto us.

We were told that he hates men so it would be best if I didn't work with him and that he turns into a bucking bronc if you put a saddle on him.

Well, he loves my wife and I, is constantly in your pockets looking for something to eat and is picking up on his training pretty quick.

Saddle and all the gear are no problem but because he's had so little training, he's not so sure about someone getting on him yet. 

He's far from unmanageable and should turn out to be a good trail horse once we spend some more time with him.

Glad we got him, he's got a forever home with us.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
4/17/19 6:39 a.m.

A lifetime ago, when I was a groom on the harness tracks, I cared for several of the "doesn't like men" horses. It was never a problem for me.

They all just wanted someone to be quiet and gentle with them. Horses are social animals, just like us.

I'm delighted to hear that he's doing well, now that I know his history.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/17/19 7:03 a.m.

Horses don't know that it's Christmas morning.

stumpmj350
stumpmj350 New Reader
4/17/19 8:49 a.m.

Back when we had a horse the cost was about the same as our mortgage.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
4/17/19 9:14 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

A lifetime ago, when I was a groom on the harness tracks, I cared for several of the "doesn't like men" horses. It was never a problem for me.

They all just wanted someone to be quiet and gentle with them. Horses are social animals, just like us.

I'm delighted to hear that he's doing well, now that I know his history.

Thanks Doc.

He used to be in a "proper" show barn. In a stall by himself most of the day with structured outside time on a schedule.

Now he's outside most of the day and can come and go from his stall whenever he wants. He has a "herd" now (another gelding and a bossy mare).

We think they do much better when you just let them be a horse, it's humans that make them crazy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SdwyAd9L8njsSIBxhdtUZo2fWC5x1wLeIBF0ZVAQxPCPwYBKtIA6NXIQzrUoVhzV