N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/10/13 8:13 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Does my coven of 1 count?

scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/10/13 9:05 a.m.

The other primary red flag of a cult to me would be undue hero worship of the founder/leader. If doesn't walk on water or raise the dead, they shouldn't act like he does.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/10/13 9:29 a.m.

PAYING for health insurance, property taxes, etc. simply cuts down on the profit potential.

While it may not be a cult it certainly smells like a scam.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/10/13 2:46 p.m.
rotard wrote: Are you saying that her family is too busy to have her live nearby and check on her occasionally?

Actually, sort of. Two of her three children are in situations where we are not geographically stable enough. My brother is in the Navy and just finished flight school. I'm enjoying my job, but will probably move on to greener pastures in another year or two. I also don't live someplace that would save her much money.

That leaves my sister, who lives in Decatur. Or possibly my aunt, who lives in Virginia. That last one probably wouldn't save her money either. And... yeah... that's what we're talking about trying to orchestrate.

We are looking for someplace she can afford to live on disability insurance, since she will probably not be able to work full time again, that she can have a social network in place to be sure she's doing okay. She came up with the idea of this commune, but it doesn't seem like it would be a good place to care for her health issues.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
5/10/13 4:04 p.m.
scardeal wrote: The other primary red flag of a cult to me would be undue hero worship of the founder/leader. If doesn't walk on water or raise the dead, they shouldn't act like he does.

Yummy. This irony is delicious...

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/10/13 4:07 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote:
scardeal wrote: The other primary red flag of a cult to me would be undue hero worship of the founder/leader. If doesn't walk on water or raise the dead, they shouldn't act like he does.
Yummy. This irony is delicious...

you have a point

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
5/10/13 4:21 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: dammit, i was just coming back to remove my geometrically-challenged post.
Geometrically's a lot like geographically because they both have "geo" and "ally" in them

Speaking of pots and kettles, you know it's bad when I have to say "Dude. Srsly. Noon on a weekday is a little early to start hittin the sauce."

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
5/10/13 4:50 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: We are looking for someplace she can afford to live on disability insurance, since she will probably not be able to work full time again, that she can have a social network in place to be sure she's doing okay. She came up with the idea of this commune, but it doesn't seem like it would be a good place to care for her health issues.

Actually, if it weren't for the health care issue it wouldn't sound too bad, she's not nutty for considering it. I don't think I realized that it was Mennonites. I know Scardeal & I disagree on religion, but he's right when he mentions the lack of a lone, charismatic figurehead as a good sign. I keep forgetting that not all of these smaller groups are the Branch Davidians.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
5/10/13 5:38 p.m.

Here in upstate NY , there are orginizations that take care of disabled people, many mental. Non religious. They have live in facilities for those that need full time care. Non-profit.

I'm sure there must be similar groups elsewhere.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/10/13 5:52 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Here in upstate NY , there are orginizations that take care of disabled people, many mental. Non religious. They have live in facilities for those that need full time care. Non-profit. I'm sure there must be similar groups elsewhere.

find a name/contact for the NY ones. Then Salinas can call them and ask about other programs in other parts of the nation. If others exist, those are the people who will know.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/10/13 7:08 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Actually, if it weren't for the health care issue it wouldn't sound too bad, she's not nutty for considering it. I don't think I realized that it was Mennonites. I know Scardeal & I disagree on religion, but he's right when he mentions the lack of a lone, charismatic figurehead as a good sign. I keep forgetting that not *all* of these smaller groups are the Branch Davidians.

I totally agree. A devout Christian commune could be a very good fit for her. It is just non-traditional enough that I feel the need to get more information. My mom is the type to be easily duped by someone trying to take advantage or sell her something.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
5/10/13 10:04 p.m.

What's the worse that could happen? She is already in financial trouble, so they can't bleed her dry. Maybe it is a cult, but if it gives her stability that she will otherwise never achieve, maybe it isn't a terribly bad thing. I mean, aren't Catholic nuns in convents members of cults?

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
5/11/13 9:27 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
iceracer wrote: Here in upstate NY , there are orginizations that take care of disabled people, many mental. Non religious. They have live in facilities for those that need full time care. Non-profit. I'm sure there must be similar groups elsewhere.
find a name/contact for the NY ones. Then Salinas can call them and ask about other programs in other parts of the nation. If others exist, those are the people who will know.

Lexington Business office-, 518 773-7931

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/8/20 9:37 a.m.
friedgreencorrado said:
JoeyM wrote: I would run away skip the fluff at the top....just search for "Reba" http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=3286

From the article:
"The community’s decision to foreswear health insurance, trusting Providence for expensive medical care, may eventually tax even its deep pockets and those of its generous givers."

Doesn't sound like a recipe for staying on the medication.

Our family has used Samaritan Ministries for years instead of health insurance (and these programs are specifically allowed in the original affordable care act).
Basically it's no different from any larger organization "self-insuring" based on their own risk pool, and without a lot of the expense / overhead of a traditional insurance carrier. 

In our case, 11 months a year, I send a check (WAY less than insurance would be) to a family or person who has a need that's been checked out and verified. 1 month a year, I send a check to Samaritan to cover operational costs. We have had multiple situations requiring sharing our needs, and all of them have been met through this sharing and with cards, notes and prayers as well as the money. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/8/20 9:43 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

No E36 M3...Talk about "Handing over your paycheck"!

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
10/8/20 9:49 a.m.

Why did this  come back after 7 years?

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/8/20 10:35 a.m.

Dang, when I saw the thread it had popped up and I didn't see it was an old one. 

Hope things have gone well for her...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HUAaNallESrXO2rc3g6GFbF8mLhZilXns6DH7nziopNjR0yC2dV2tCq7CuRpO4DP