1 2
VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
2/20/22 7:18 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:

Nice diagrams! That would work if I could get around the perimeter of the clay pipe. With the one side of the clay pipe imbedded into cement, I won't be able to get the coupler on. I'm only able to cut through about half the pipe. 
I just found this:

Would I be able to face cut the clay pipe and use the donut inside the clay to transfer to pvc?

I'm not a plumber, just an ex-carpenter that watched the plumbers so I am not exactly sure how you attach anything to the clay tile (I've never even seen clay tile, only that crap Orange burg rolled up tarpaper). I don't know anything about that donut. How much room do you have on the right side of the clay tile. If there was enough room to the right of the tee, you could dig a large enough hole so that you could remove the tee at the clay pipe, drop the sump in the hole and slide it over to the left over the clay pipe and add the pvc pipe on the right side?

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
2/21/22 9:44 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

I'm not a plumber, just an ex-carpenter that watched the plumbers so I am not exactly sure how you attach anything to the clay tile (I've never even seen clay tile, only that crap Orange burg rolled up tarpaper). I don't know anything about that donut. How much room do you have on the right side of the clay tile. If there was enough room to the right of the tee, you could dig a large enough hole so that you could remove the tee at the clay pipe, drop the sump in the hole and slide it over to the left over the clay pipe and add the pvc pipe on the right side?

I'm confused to what you are calling right/ left

Using this pic, I need to remove the "t" and the right and left sections of pipe in order to drop the basin in the hole. (White chalk mark on pipe needs removed)

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
2/21/22 10:11 a.m.

In the photo above, which side is embedded in concrete, the left side? Where the flange is on the tee. Looking on the internet, it appears that 4" pvc and cast pipe has an OD of 4.5" and the clay pipe OD is 4-13/16". Here is a Home Depot 4" clay pipe to 4" plastic pipe. 4 in. Clay x 4 in. DWV Flexible PVC Coupling

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
2/21/22 1:00 p.m.

The area with the crude black lines is cement. That is the beginning of the footer. The cement encapsulates the clay pipe. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
2/21/22 1:32 p.m.

Ok, wow, that kind of sucks. I thought that was just mud and I was going to tell you to dig that out. frown I guess that I would then dig below the tee and cut off the down leg (below the footing) of the clay tile and elbow that into the sump. The footing isn't doing anything in that area anyway, so no worries about undermining it and you could actually remove the footing there. Or, if you didn't want to remove the footing you could dig down and cut off and recap the well casing below the bottom of the sump so you can move the sump farther into that room. It looks like you tried to cut off the clay pipe to the right of the clean-out?

Don't forget that you're going to have a discharge pipe coming out of the sump cover that you are going to have to step around in order to lift the cover up enough to reach the pumps, I ran my stand pipe up over a foot before I elbowed it over to the wall. It will kind of suck trying to step over to access that room. I guess you could hook the pump to a banjo (or camlock) fitting and send the discharge pipe out the side of the sump and then up at a better location. So, it would be pump, 1-1/2" check valve, straight pipe, elbow, banjo fittings and out horizontally of the side of the sump. smiley

They make a Sawzall blade that should cut through anything. 

9 in. Carbide Grit SAWZALL Reciprocating Saw Blades (3-Pack)

What type of soil do you have in your location?

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
2/22/22 1:09 p.m.

If I can expand the hole further away from the clay pipe, I can buy a basin that doesn't have the lip my current basin has. That will gain me 3". Then I can put a fitting on the bottom of the clay "t" into the basin. 

Second option is the cut the clay pipe and use a donut gasket inside the clay pipe with pvc to the basin. 

Friday is next day I can play with this. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
2/23/22 11:16 a.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

Sounds like a plan, it's hard to tell what to do without being there and doing our own assessment, keep us up to date. yes

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2BVEhtDEIDvf242kFjyaUkEwPCS7rVeTgsLoXbhdZKcnTYsCzDwtLV2cbQ1y9KKG