1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/6/18 9:59 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I know you’ve had great experiences. You’ve been very vocal about them. 

Not everyone has. 

And the site does appear to have been changed from the format you describe. 

The obvious answer to me is that the best prices will always be directly with the driver, but the site has shifted to be broker oriented. 

Drivers don’t like being their own broker, even though they hate paying brokers. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/6/18 10:27 a.m.

I've used uShip to haul a car and a trailer but this was some years ago.  I always made a point of picking the companies that were owned by the driver, so I dealt directly with the owner/operator, not a broker.

If I had to deal with a broker, I'd rather just spend the money and hire InterCity or Reliable and get it done.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/6/18 10:40 a.m.

I use Uship all the time. About 80% of the time it works out.  For stuff that is not cars it works way better. I can drop ship equipment across the country with a phone call and a credit card. 

The other 20% its a dumpster fire. Like when they shipped me my last Prowler from San Francisco the truck caught fire and they rolled it off the back of the truck and the FD sprayed it with a hose for five minutes. Or when my drivers truck was repossessed mid delivery and I had to get my car on the trailer from a impound yard. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
12/6/18 11:58 a.m.
docwyte said:

I've used uShip to haul a car and a trailer but this was some years ago.  I always made a point of picking the companies that were owned by the driver, so I dealt directly with the owner/operator, not a broker.

X2 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
12/6/18 12:02 p.m.

How do you get the NYOP option? I just tried to see if I could have a car shipped from LA to here for less than it cost my excursion in fuel to do it. 

Last time I had a car shipped (VA to Southern California), I went through an actual shipping company. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/6/18 2:20 p.m.
docwyte said:

That’s what I had hoped for, but alas, no owner operator quoted  

If I had to deal with a broker, I'd rather just spend the money and hire InterCity or Reliable and get it done.

I probably should have done that, but we’re talking cars that are worth less than 5k each. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/6/18 2:21 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

The other 20% its a dumpster fire. Like when they shipped me my last Prowler from San Francisco the truck caught fire and they rolled it off the back of the truck and the FD sprayed it with a hose for five minutes. Or when my drivers truck was repossessed mid delivery and I had to get my car on the trailer from a impound yard. 

Oh boy. I’m hoping mine is only smoldering and not a full on fire yet. But I’m holding my breath. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/6/18 4:01 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Not sure how the value of the cars matters.  You want to keep them and you need to move them across the country to your new house by a certain date.  At that point you go with the best service...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/6/18 6:41 p.m.

Possibly. One lesson learned.

It looks like they have a driver, paperwork was in progress when the broker called with an update. They expect pickup tomorrow.

Let’s hope there are no additional last minute hiccups. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/7/18 3:46 p.m.

Broker called, apparently waving a bundle of cash did the trick as the cars are supposed to be picked up today or tomorrow. Even if it was a bundle of ones

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/8/18 10:14 a.m.

Driver was supposed to call yesterday. That’s some rather loud crickets.

Fortunately one of my neighbours has offered to stash the cars. Let’s hope the driver makes it here before I have to resort to that.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/8/18 11:41 a.m.

Now the broker is getting on the driver. At least they’re happy to handle that sort of issue and aren’t blowing me off. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/8/18 12:22 p.m.

Call the 1-800 number to Uship.  See if Uship will get on the Brokers case.  The broker likely does not want any heat from Uship if they do a lot of business through them.   Point out the Uship that you are having a bad Uship experience.  They may tell you it is just a Broker issue now but see if they will get involved.   

800-698-7447

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/8/18 12:28 p.m.

Thanks - I’ll keep that in mind. The broker is supposed to call me back before noon, if that doesn’t go anywhere then I’ll be on the phone to uShip. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/8/18 2:59 p.m.

Update from the broker is that the driver flaked out and they’re looking for another driver. This is getting rather ridiculous.

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
12/8/18 3:23 p.m.

I just hope your experience does not become my experience ... for two weeks they had “drivers” coming to pick up the car but I believe it was all bs. 

I did the get the car eventually and the driver was great, but all the wasted time was Montway trying to make the most money by finding the cheapest driver. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
12/8/18 3:52 p.m.

I'm not saying there never was a driver, but... Are we sure the broker isn't making stuff up and stringing you along to buy themselves more time?

Bubbal
Bubbal New Reader
12/8/18 4:01 p.m.

I just canceled my second booking on uShip as neither broker could get a hauler.  Paid a $400 premium over uShip to get car shipped with InterCity, but’s it closed transport versus open.  Spoke with driver, used to hauling McLarens and he will deliver in 7 days.  Driver also texted pic of car loaded in his trailer.

uShip customer service said no way to target owner operators, all listings open to all on their platform.  If you’re on a popular route or a different time of year, they said you can get more responses and better pricing.  I can’t change route or time so I went with a sure thing.  My neighbor has kept car for 4 days and handled loading.  Great neighbor will be missed.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/8/18 5:09 p.m.

Cancel your order and use InterCity.  It'll cost more but it'll get done and your car will be in enclosed transport

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/8/18 8:18 p.m.
STM317 said:

I'm not saying there never was a driver, but... Are we sure the broker isn't making stuff up and stringing you along to buy themselves more time?

They did provide me with contract information and the phone number of the driver but neither the broker or me can get hold of the guy.  Either way it’s beginning to smell like the drivers are a figment of imagination.

I’m supposed to get another call in the next few minutes, let’s see how that goes if it happens. Either way it looks like I have to park the cars somewhere and get somebody like Intercity on the case.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/8/18 8:21 p.m.

Is it a good sign when the broker already recognises your phone number?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/11/18 6:41 a.m.

Good luck on your trip cross country.  I saw the details over in this thread 

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
12/11/18 8:00 a.m.

I got the Vette shipped from Texas to CT using UShip and overall it turned out okay, though what ended up happening was I contracted for an open ship at $662 and when the first guy got there he said there was no way he could get the car on his trailer as it was just too low. Good thing overall that he did that. The broker found an enclosed option for $400 more (this payment was to the driver directly) and I accepted that and they came and got the car three days after the first guy. Luckily I was picking it up from the seller's residence and he was fine with holding on to the car. Car arrived undamaged and in a reasonable amount of time after that.

This was in August of 2016.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/11/18 2:26 p.m.

Well, hopefully as an end to the saga, I’ve got the cars booked in with InterCity and requested cancellation of the uShip transport.  It’s about 1500 more for both, but InterCity seem to be a lot more professional so far. 

Bubbal
Bubbal New Reader
12/11/18 9:22 p.m.

If your driver is Larry, he has my BMW in his truck.  Picked mine up in NorCal.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6KImLqozjC8LOTMSGizYxp0qFY22XMfvCvAB2UZO9eRvoKr2Xbu9ZXTEEjfjdKiP