GlennS
GlennS Dork
6/26/10 11:31 a.m.

Walk through of the isle of man TT with Guy Martin. 200mph through narrow 2 lane streets and country roads.

Fun drinking game: Take a drink every time you see a spot where you could go off and not be horrible injured. You will end the game completely sober.

GUY MARTIN TT Isle of Man Lap on-board Honda 1000 - 1 of 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI

GUY MARTIN TT Isle of Man Lap on-board Honda 1000 - 2 of 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFUYIH2Ttzk

cwh
cwh SuperDork
6/26/10 1:10 p.m.

What does Guy Martin sound like when he walks by? Clank, Clank. Clank

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
6/26/10 7:11 p.m.

The only racers the rally guys look at and think "they're batE36M3 insane"

chuckles
chuckles New Reader
6/27/10 6:47 a.m.

I did bike roadracing for 14 years, back in another life. I got to drive the TT course in a car several times last month...a boyhood dream. It is even more unbelievable when you see it up close.

The opening shot of the first clip is coming down Bray Hill, right in the city of Douglas. Some of the fast guys say they don't dare stand there to watch, otherwise they wouldn't race.

The great Joey Dunlop has a wonderful line in his narration of his camera-on-tank video: "You got to watch them stripes on the road...somma them slippy."

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
6/27/10 8:07 a.m.

"Drop it down a gear and chuck it in there"

BatE36 M3 crazy does not decribe

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/27/10 8:36 a.m.

Bring your nads, stone walls in lieu of hay bails?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/27/10 8:41 a.m.

Repost, but a good one.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
6/27/10 1:20 p.m.

They just wrapped up this year's TT a few weeks back. Martin crashed on the 2nd lap of the Senior TT and got beat up pretty good. Fortuantly, it's nothing that can't heal and his comments immediately after were "tell my fans that it (the crash) wasn't from lack of commitment", . Ian Hutchinson won the Senior TT. I don't think it could have gone to a more humble guy.

Be sure to check out races like the Northwest 200, Mid Antrim 150, Tandragee 100, Ulster Grand Prix, Cookstown 100, and Grand Prix Macau. Unlike the TT, these are all real races, instead of time trials.

Check out :50 and 1:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zjv0ZHvFIQ

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
6/27/10 4:28 p.m.

I love how the riders and teams are deciding to race it again because its such a prestigious race.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/27/10 5:52 p.m.

Doesn't remember names, but knows every nuance of every corner.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/27/10 7:58 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Bring your nads, stone walls in lieu of hay bails?

I'm pretty sure that over there, Nads is spelled with a capital N !

grpb
grpb New Reader
6/27/10 8:28 p.m.

It should be noted that for the overwhelming majority of the field these roadraces are truly grassroots, in that the except for Guy Martin and maybe one or two others that run BSB, they are working people with real jobs, 'sponsored' by (logos displyed of) their emloyer, the local shop, etc. And roadracing isn't a 'step', they do not aspire to 'short course' racing as they call normal road circuits. Guy runs BSB but it is the TT and roadraces that he talks bout most passionately.

And against the best in the world at the Macau road race it is inevitably a TT or Irish roadracing champion/frontrunner that wins. Well, except for Schwantz back when Suzuki ran the 500 GP bike...

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/27/10 10:08 p.m.

The race is called the "TT" because it "Takes Testes" to run it.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/27/10 10:30 p.m.

Didn't get through watching the whole thing but noticed two things:

First: The speed he talks. That has got to be indicative of his normal pace of life. OkaysothisnextcornerIwatchfethehedgerowandtekitflatout.

Second: Him making the comment, "You need to be slow to be fast." WTF? At know point does he ever actually "take it slow". There are sections he takes really fast instead of batE36 M3insane, but never "slow".

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/28/10 12:13 a.m.

When you race the TT, "slow" is relative.

GlennS
GlennS Dork
6/28/10 9:17 a.m.

I think he distinguishes fast from slow in that if your not going flat out your going slow.

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
6/28/10 10:53 a.m.

I think this clip is about the only comparable thing I can think of to the TT in the car world. Ari at the Manx rally. So what is it about that island anyhow? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwvIRuCLbyg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0U6qwVuxqHOjzYMVDhfuF4TMxxYteF5ZQvL0rOWBPFtG5fC4qr39eFdOkKj4Fx7L