1 2
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/22/18 3:18 p.m.

Tiger Woods is shooting the lights out.  Approaching the 8th green, six under par today.

It appears the surgeons and physios have his back correct, after how many years and how many surgeries.

He may be a douche, but Lord t'underin jaysus, he can play golf.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/22/18 7:21 p.m.

Are you watching golf? On TV? You sad bastard.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
9/22/18 8:02 p.m.

I came for a drift build, then I was hoping Tiger Woods was actually shooting lights out somewhere. I'm sadly very let down.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/22/18 8:19 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Are you watching golf? On TV? You sad bastard.

It's berkeleyin snowing here.  Turn the furnace up, snuggle into the corner of the couch and pretend you are watching from the gallery.

I make no apologies for watching golf 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
9/22/18 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Aside from all of the negative connotations historically surrounding Golf.  The damage to the environment, the classism, the racism, the pretentious nature of it, etc.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/22/18 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

You just described sports car racing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/22/18 9:06 p.m.

I am no fan of Eldrick, but he is the best ball striker I’ve ever seen. I’m happy he’s doing well, because when he does well, the sport does well. And this sport supports a lot of people who otherwise would not be able to have jobs. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/22/18 9:08 p.m.

You apparently are a horrible person for watching golf... 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/22/18 9:25 p.m.
aircooled said:

You apparently are a horrible person for watching golf... 

Yeah, but I'm probably more horrible because I don't give a E36 M3.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/22/18 10:10 p.m.

Personally I'd rather watch paint dry....or are they the same thing?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
9/22/18 10:13 p.m.
T.J. said:

Personally I'd rather watch paint dry....or are they the same thing?

QFT!!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/22/18 10:29 p.m.

Watching golf?

Did you find bowling too exciting?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/22/18 10:32 p.m.

Golf is way more interesting than auto-x

Congrats to Tiger for getting his mojo back

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/22/18 11:06 p.m.

It can be easily argued that hitting a golf ball well is the most difficult thing to do in sport.  Think about it- everyone watching has to be quiet, nobody is threatening to hit you, nobody is throwing the ball at you... All you have to do is hit a ball with a stick, and the very best players in the world can't do it properly every time.

Tilting at windmills, I guess. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/22/18 11:07 p.m.
fasted58 said:

Golf is way more interesting than auto-x

Congrats to Tiger for getting his mojo back

No kidding. I’m something of a student of the game, and because golf is part of the reason I’m where I am today I’ll defend it far past what is reasonable, but in terms of TV viewing I’d much rather watch golf than any auto race. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/22/18 11:08 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

It can be easily argued that hitting a golf ball well is the most difficult thing to do in sport.  Think about it- everyone watching has to be quiet, nobody is threatening to hit you, nobody is throwing the ball at you... All you have to do is hit a ball with a stick, and the very best players in the world can't do it properly every time.

Tilting at windmills, I guess. 

I can’t think of a more unnatural motion in anything than a golf swing. The only thing that comes close is, ironically given the forum that this discussion is happening, is auto racing—only because the speed is far beyond what is normal for humans to process. But that’s mental more than physical. 

codrus
codrus UltraDork
9/23/18 11:44 a.m.
mtn said:

I can’t think of a more unnatural motion in anything than a golf swing.

Anything that involves a wingsuit.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/24/18 8:14 a.m.

It did not go sideways for Tiger. Very impressive weekend.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/24/18 11:14 a.m.

Glad to see Tiger get a win.  He's had a really rough go of it for the last few years--- a lot of it self- inflicted.   By all accounts he's more friendly, open and considerate than he was when he first rose to the top.  He's good for the sport, and he certainly makes it more interesting.   He may be older, but there are still things he can do on the golf course that no one else can--- and that's fun to watch.  It's always fun to watch someone who is the very best at something.  

I love golf--- been playing the game my entire life.  It's a great way to spend 3-4 hours with my Mom and Dad--- in a relaxed environment.   I attend the TPC at Sawgrass every year, and it's about the perfect way to spend Mother's day.  We sit near the 18th green and watch all the players finish their rounds.  I get a full day of relaxing with my Mother in a fun atmosphere. 

Haters will hate, and that's fine. I could really care less.  

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/24/18 11:29 a.m.
mtn said:

It did not go sideways for Tiger. Very impressive weekend.

I agree. The last few times he has been back in the hunt this summer, I've been like: errybody else better watch out!

He looks like he's got those sunday jitters out now. Next year ought to be really exciting.

And I agree that golf is much more fun to watch on TV than autox. Should we continue the comparison spending a day doing each?

Both cost $25-100 per day. Both have a bunch of walking and standing around in the sun. Both have really grassroots people and people who always go buy the most expensive equipment as soon as it comes out, and in neither sport does the equipment much matter compared to the athlete's skill. Both are very mental sports, where the execution is focused on high-pressure short-timeframe moments.

Out of 4 hours of golf you will spend about 40-50 minutes actively playing (about 30 seconds per shot). Out of 4 hours of autocross you will spend about 5-10 minutes actively playing. If you aren't playing golf seriously you can choose to drink while you play. Side-bets are common in golf to increase the fun or pressure. Handicaps in golf are easy-to-understand and quite fair, meaning that folks of low skill and high skill can still compete. Golf has lots of team games so you can include newbies (or people who suck like me).  

I'm not much good at autocross or golf, but I sure like them both. And i'll watch golf on tv over autox anytime. When a pro hits a really tough shot, you can see that. When a driver nails a tough corner, no one can tell.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/24/18 12:05 p.m.

It will be interesting to see how his career goes from here.  A surgically repaired back will never be as sturdy as the original, but I bet he will be very concious of any discomfort or strain, and will react to it a lot faster than he did as a younger man.  

He doesn't have the length off the tee that the youngsters do now, but his iron play is just spectacular, so 7 iron instead of the 9 he used to use.  Still got the smarts, too.

He seems genuinely grateful to be healthy again.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/24/18 2:46 p.m.

Father Played, he tried to teach us, first outing my Sister took  9 Iron to the Eyebrow, next up was a younger brother, damn near the Exact same place.

Wish I had the Patience.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/24/18 2:53 p.m.

I don't watch golf, but it's impossible to not be aware of Tiger Woods given his highs and lows.

While he has undoubtedly been a total berklying douche bag and treated people terribly while presenting a terribly arrogant and entitled attitude, he did help bring some equality to golf.  Is it possible that he's learnt some humility in the last couple of years since his world fell apart?  He could be playing nice and putting on a good public face, but it seems as if he may have done some true self reflection and be coming back as a better person.

Either that or my liberal hippie dippy view of the world is giving him too much credit.  I don't know.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
9/24/18 2:58 p.m.

I'm not a golf fan, but as a general sports fan I'm aware of Tiger and his doings, and that this is a good thing for his sport.

What I don't understand is why you'd come into this thread, see that it's about something you don't care about, and not only stay here, but comment about how much you don't care about it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/24/18 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Well I came here for the cryptic use of sideways in the title, and while I don't watch it I do have an interest in current events and culture so I stayed and commented....... but then again i suspect you weren't commenting on my comments winkcheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4h1HFbF89gXVKx1aS97wy7J1WZrdMsQaMNI25q7BkHLbqW9u6d3c0iFVkmPbjQB3