1 2
Mike
Mike HalfDork
9/29/12 9:49 a.m.
Ian F wrote: It's cool to read some real world experiences. If only they offered a wagon version. I don't do 4-door sedans...

It's actually a hatchback, if that helps.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
9/29/12 2:56 p.m.
Mike wrote: Also, I have more than a quarter inch of head room in the Volt, so I might finally get out to an autocross.

Mike thank you for the info. How tall are you? At 6'5" I don't fit in most vehicles. I'm going to look at one of these this week. I figure it would be worth trying out one of these vehicles to see how much we can save on the consumables end of things over a normal vehicle. I realize the purchase price is a big jump over a conventional car with similar mileage but living in Southern California our temperate climate works well with hybrid electric vehicles. I think my wife would appreciate the pre-cooling feature and not having to buy gas so often. She can plug in at home and at her business so she'd be able to spend a majority of her driving all electric.

Are you using the 120V charger or did you buy a 220V unit?

Mike
Mike HalfDork
9/29/12 3:42 p.m.
bluesideup wrote:
Mike wrote: Also, I have more than a quarter inch of head room in the Volt, so I might finally get out to an autocross.
Mike thank you for the info. How tall are you? At 6'5" I don't fit in most vehicles. I'm going to look at one of these this week. I figure it would be worth trying out one of these vehicles to see how much we can save on the consumables end of things over a normal vehicle. I realize the purchase price is a big jump over a conventional car with similar mileage but living in Southern California our temperate climate works well with hybrid electric vehicles. I think my wife would appreciate the pre-cooling feature and not having to buy gas so often. She can plug in at home and at her business so she'd be able to spend a majority of her driving all electric. Are you using the 120V charger or did you buy a 220V unit?

I'm 6'3". I can set the seat so I am too low and too far from the controls. It might be worth trying. California market reduced emissions models have HOV lane access rights.

I am using the bundled 120V charger. I'm keeping an eye on the market, and may pick up a spare 120V charger if it comes up cheap enough on Craiglist or eBay. I would like a Level 2 (220V) charger, but even when I've completely drained the battery, I tend to have enough time overnight to fully charge the battery. Attractive things about the Level 2:

• I don't have time of day/time of year based rates here. There is no money incentive to charging during a certain number of hours at night for me. If you have time of day rates, there might be an advantage to getting your charging done in four hours instead of ten.
  • 220V is supposedly a more efficient way of charging, so you tend to pay less for the 10kwh that you actually get into your battery.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iDLGyvuvLndhypa9lGb8pyF7JdVvfqePohKaONHmw3XkmwcLhqC7Hz2XfqEDFoOE