fifty
fifty New Reader
4/15/09 7:28 p.m.

That magazine really sucked without him.

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
4/15/09 7:47 p.m.

Is it true? Is he back?

YES!!!!!!!

Every magazine he lays his hands on becomes great and very much grassroots. I don't even like 4X4s but I used to buy 4 Wheel and Off Road when he was editor - the low buck tech articles and his editorials were worth the cover price. He did the same for Car Craft, then Hot Rod.

When Freiburger took the helm at 4WOR about 12 years ago, he said in his editorial, "it's safe to say you've seen your last chrome shock in 4WOR" and then the magazine got really interesting - even for someone with just a passing interest in 4X4s.

Let's hope he does what he did for 4WOR, Car Craft and Hot Rod once more. I mean really, a resto-mod '67 Mustang built on a $1.2M budget in Hot Rod? Were they serious? Freiburger can fix it!

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/15/09 7:52 p.m.

A resto-mod '67 Mustang with a $1.2M budget - that didn't run properly.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/15/09 7:53 p.m.

Because of him, I still read CarCraft, Hotrod and Rod & Custom. He taught me that junkyards rule and you're better off not pigeon holing yourself into like just one kind of car. I now dig compacts, imports, and 4 X 4s.

P71
P71 Dork
4/15/09 8:00 p.m.

Doug Glad has done pretty good at Car Craft since Freiburger left but Hot Rod DEFINITELY took a nose dive. I'm really happy he's back! I want to know what the F-Bomb's been up to, we never got performance figures.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
4/15/09 8:13 p.m.

i admit that i gave up on everything but GRM/CM.

kinda should poke my head up and buy a copy of a few at a newsstand and see if they still suck too bad.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/15/09 8:25 p.m.

OMG! I may need to re-up my Hot Rod sub, I was ready to let it lapse, but this news has me ready to buy 10 years RIGHT NOW!

the only way this could be better is if GRM poached him...and got a C4 corvette project for him to work on.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
4/15/09 8:47 p.m.

I gave up on Car Craft when he and Matt King left. Glad to see he's back at Hot Rod.

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
4/15/09 8:54 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: the only way this could be better is if GRM poached him...and got a C4 corvette project for him to work on.

Brilliant!

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
4/15/09 8:59 p.m.

Even better would be if GRM could poach Freiburger (from the Sourceinterprimediaconglomerate that ruined Petersen's and McMullen)...

AND if Classic Motorsports could poach Peter Egan from Road and Track!

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/15/09 10:14 p.m.

I remember in 2003, HRM did a feature on the Challenge. Being stuck in the middle of South Dakota for a month with no net or easy access to a bookstore, I think I read that article daily. I doubt I'd be typing this without that issue.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
4/15/09 10:38 p.m.

He should be back at Car Craft. I might have to resubscribe now!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/16/09 1:29 a.m.

Egan at Classic would be brilliant...

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/16/09 6:51 a.m.

Good.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
4/16/09 9:09 a.m.

So maybe this is why Freiburger was at Maxton talking to Andy Nelson, other than the normal curiosity about POS Studebakers that go like stink.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
02gn7NYLQdjOC82uhCdQ2guIK3MAe5SUfxU9u9X3uYkSLowgcZjjVZ58rCD0if6P