1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/21/18 8:21 a.m.

I'll do some internet over-sharing... 

A few here were aware this might happen so I wanted to confirm the news.  Most here who genuinely know me will be amazed at this news.  My own siblings even had no idea of any of this until I sent them some texts on Friday and dropped some pictures onto them.

It's a Boy!

Backstory: 3.5 years ago, when I was 48 yrs old, my wife and I adopted a baby girl.  First child for either of us.  We continue to loosely keep in touch with the birth-mother, Abby.  Fast forward to Jan 27, 2018 and Abby had another baby.  This time, a different father so we had to wait for some things to play out through the system.  

Net result: This past Friday May 18, 2018 the now nearly 4 month old baby boy has come home with us for what we expect will be "forever".  

In advance; thanks for the well wishes.  

In advance; yeah, we know we are crazy.  

Other than getting the word out to friends here on GRM, my other motivation for posting this is that years ago (8 years ago), here on GRM, there was a thread about adoption that had a profound impact on me and lead to additional off-board conversations.  Every adoption story is different but I'd be happy to share more in private to anyone who wants.  

wae
wae SuperDork
5/21/18 8:24 a.m.

Congratulations!

He looks genuinely surprised at the turn of events. laugh

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
5/21/18 8:27 a.m.

Congrats and that's great that they'll be together. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
5/21/18 8:34 a.m.

You are doing a fantastic service to those children.   I know raising my daughter and son have been the most fulfilling experiences of my life.  I hope you and your family have the same experience.  

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
5/21/18 8:35 a.m.

Yes!!!!!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/21/18 8:36 a.m.

1. Yes you are crazy 

2. I'd do it in a heartbeat too.  (I turn 49 this month) 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
5/21/18 8:50 a.m.

Congratulations! 

Addressing the "older dad" issue: I'm 62, my 14 year old is starting high school this fall, his 10 year old sister will be starting middle school. I'm loving it. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/21/18 9:03 a.m.

I'm not quite as old a dad as you, but I'm close. I'm 42 this month and my two are 3 and 1. Having these two was the best decision I have ever made; everything about them and our time together is amazing. As you know, everything changes once you have kids, but change is good and keeps life interesting. As my 3 year old was whispering secrets into my ear this morning before I left for work, I thought, MAN am I a lucky guy. Good to see another happy family on here.

I know there are a ton of serious challenges ahead for you, I hope your abilities to cope aren't overstressed.

Thank you for giving these kids a stable and loving home. I think it's great that this forum played a role in your adoption process.. if I'm reading your post right, that is. :-)

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/21/18 9:07 a.m.

Congratulations!!

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/21/18 9:11 a.m.

Congrats sir!  It's so exciting when it happens, almost overnight.   We've fostered and adopted kiddos over the years and can appreciate the struggle!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/21/18 9:18 a.m.

That's awesome!

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
5/21/18 9:23 a.m.

Congrats John! They look like they will make great crew!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/21/18 9:25 a.m.

Congrats and thank you.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/21/18 9:29 a.m.

Doc and dculberson, 

Your words are encouraging.  It is assuring that others are traveling the same/similar path.  

As for the forum having played a role... The road to adoption and the idea of adoption is different for everyone.  For me, I had never know anyone who had adopted.  It was profound for me to hear from what I considered "people like me" who had traveled the path.  

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/21/18 10:09 a.m.

Resurrecting this a bit. The next time you and I are together remind me to share my adoption story with you.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
5/21/18 10:49 a.m.

Congratulations!!!!!

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
5/21/18 11:29 a.m.

Congratulations. Being a Dad is my most celebrated accomplishment. Something I work really hard to be good at.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/21/18 11:44 a.m.

Excellent!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/21/18 11:46 a.m.

Congratulations!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/21/18 11:50 a.m.

Congrats.  We adopted a girl - she’s been a blessing!  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/21/18 12:06 p.m.

Congrats!  Good Luck!  IUD!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/21/18 12:15 p.m.

Congratulations and thank you.

thedoc
thedoc New Reader
5/21/18 1:34 p.m.

God bless you and yours!  I had my kids "late" and can't imagine life without them.  Just make sure you have a big garage, you are going to need it for all those cars...in a very few years!

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
5/21/18 2:02 p.m.

Congrats!

octavious
octavious Dork
5/21/18 2:10 p.m.

Congrats!  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LrEg63GtGxbh5rRJy26SVXekdcB49Jm19CpnqCzTsosBYwfwZFpNnHmGJ9NrWbAm