Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill New Reader
11/7/11 5:16 p.m.

SHMBO only authorizes me to own two cars at a time. I currently own 5 "complete" vehicles, one scratchbuild project, and the wife flat out refuses to pay for another of my "toys". She says I'm only supposed to have one vehicle to drive and the other vehicle is to work on (we all know that that only sounds good in theory). So I'm going to need someone here to send me money so I can buy a Trabant. Then I'll need more money from that person on a monthly basis for maintenance, upkeep, gas, and to pay for insurance.

I don't really have anything to give that lucky person in return, unless they want to come out for a visit. Then I guess I could let them take their/our/my (circle one) Trabant out for a drive...

Thanks guys, I know I can count on you. I'll post a reply to this thread when enough funds have been wired to my account(s). -Bill

Ps PM for address.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/7/11 5:20 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: and the wife flat out refuses to pay for another of my "toys".

Now you understand why although I'm married, we have separate accounts.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/7/11 5:23 p.m.

Trabant? Where?

Seriously if you can't get it and it is not to far and the price is right I am interested.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/7/11 5:25 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote: and the wife flat out refuses to pay for another of my "toys".

This

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
11/7/11 5:30 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKDT72GVEZI

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
11/7/11 5:42 p.m.

ONE of the reasons I'm not married

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
11/7/11 5:43 p.m.

I keep a little cash hidden away from my wife. Never much, but it's all from hobby transactions, and it all goes to fund hobby related expenses.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/7/11 6:30 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:

Exactly. Additionally... it helps if you're really good at bending the rules. My wife recently put me on the "I'm not insuring more than 5 cars at a time plan". You see- the way our bills work, she pays the car insurance, I pay the cell phone bill, etc etc. That way we don't have to worry about what halvsies we need for whatever bill. However with the birth of mini-me, She was out of work due to pregnancy complications. When that happened, obviously her money supply dried up. So.... I had to pay the car insurance, which means.... she's NOT paying it. I'm insuring all the cars.... so I can have more!

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
11/7/11 6:59 p.m.

God I love my wife. When I showed her the GMC RV I posted in another thread, her first question was why and how much. When I pointed out it sure would be nice to take to autocrosses and camping, she was all in as long as it didn't affect the house account.

We have a joint house account that covers the family bills, her account that's none of my business and my account that's none of hers. It works and keeps the fighting to a minimum.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill New Reader
11/8/11 4:10 a.m.

Well, we do have separate accounts for our respective allowances, but its never enough for everything I could possibly want and most of what I get is spent before it hits the account (I'm weak like that). It does cut down on fighting because I never have to ask: "Honey, remember that $1200 you wanted for something stupid like new shoes? Can I pretty please spend it on Weber stack injection for the GT40 I'm going to build someday?"

93EXCivic: dude, there's more here than you can shake a stick at! Check out hasznaltauto.hu for some examples, and if you were really interested ekauto.net imports american classic cars to Hungary from Florida and New York. I'm sure they'd do the same in the US from Budapest with crappy commie cars too. Or I'd be willing to help if I could.

Hungary is really "Interesting crap box heaven" when it comes to buying cars like Trabants, Ladas, Fiat Polski, etc. Or "Interesting crap box hell (depending on your budget).

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/8/11 5:08 a.m.
wbjones wrote: ONE of the reasons I'm not married

I once had a girl friend who told me that I needed to get rid of one of my cars because "I can never be wirth someone who has three cars." I now have four cars. Yes, I am single.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/8/11 5:52 a.m.

Guess I have a good one. She doesn't say a word about anything I do related to cars.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill New Reader
11/8/11 7:20 a.m.
I once had a girl friend who told me that I needed to get rid of one of my cars because "I can never be wirth someone who has three cars." I now have four cars. Yes, I am single.

I had a girl pack up and leave because (and I quote) "I cant compete with, and be put second, to a truck"

yeah buddy. With that freedom I bought a RX-7 and started auto-x'ing...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/8/11 7:41 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: 93EXCivic: dude, there's more here than you can shake a stick at! Check out hasznaltauto.hu for some examples, and if you were really interested ekauto.net imports american classic cars to Hungary from Florida and New York. I'm sure they'd do the same in the US from Budapest with crappy commie cars too. Or I'd be willing to help if I could. Hungary is really "Interesting crap box heaven" when it comes to buying cars like Trabants, Ladas, Fiat Polski, etc. Or "Interesting crap box hell (depending on your budget).

Darn I was hoping it would be on this side of the pond. I would rather have a Lada Riva then a Trabant. I wonder how much it cost to import...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
11/8/11 7:41 a.m.

Fortunately, my wife and I see pretty much eye-to-eye on this matter. Right after we got married, she had a daily and a nice '78 L-82 Corvette. I had a daily and my '85 C-30 Dooley. She didn't bat an eye when I told her we should get the RX-7. Of course, she's gotten her fair share of toys also, most recently the 328iC.

chuckles
chuckles Reader
11/8/11 7:51 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Trabant? Where? Seriously if you can't get it and it is not to far and the price is right I am interested.

Two years ago, I saw four of them parked in the same residential city block in Seattle. I need to make one of the pictures my avatar.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/8/11 8:14 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:

My wife demands separate accounts.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill New Reader
11/8/11 11:49 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote: 93EXCivic: dude, there's more here than you can shake a stick at! Check out hasznaltauto.hu for some examples, and if you were really interested ekauto.net imports american classic cars to Hungary from Florida and New York. I'm sure they'd do the same in the US from Budapest with crappy commie cars too. Or I'd be willing to help if I could. Hungary is really "Interesting crap box heaven" when it comes to buying cars like Trabants, Ladas, Fiat Polski, etc. Or "Interesting crap box hell (depending on your budget).
Darn I was hoping it would be on this side of the pond. I would rather have a Lada Riva then a Trabant. I wonder how much it cost to import...

I was quoted a container from Budapest to Miami (or New York) for my Impala at $2200 + about $400 customs fees. They said that they would help out with the paperwork. I think their e-mail address is on thier site though.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill New Reader
11/8/11 11:51 a.m.

The big question is: When I do finally get my big boy pants and buy a Trabant, (or a Lada 1200) what class will I be auto-crossing in?

I bet with the lightweight cardboard body of the Trabant, combined with 600cc's of two-stroke fury, they'll probably put me in SS or A-stock...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/8/11 11:55 a.m.

Will a container hold just one car? I have always wanted to get an ex-British military Defender and bring it back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GFW3tj2xR93AWXYkTg6LQBdWuua1v8TUVxTJMtEK4CQ9YkaVr8WQU5lIQPH6VMgN