3 4 5 6 7
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/6/21 10:14 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Filler primer will help! I love the Tamiya.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/7/21 2:58 p.m.

Calling it done. I really mediocre kit and not one of my finer builds. Video to follow soon.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/7/21 3:26 p.m.

I'm slacking big time on this one. Motivation to finish the Chrysler I started a couple years ago is notably absent, but I did pick up this corvette to tinker with. It's contest ineligible but I guess I'll share with the class anyhow.

There's still time to finish the unfinished Chrysler but will I tackle it... We'll see. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/7/21 5:22 p.m.

Build review of the '65 Fairlane stocker: https://youtu.be/ByrQgR68ois

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/7/21 8:33 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

You have a link to the specific product? 

12/7/21 8:42 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

https://www.hobbytown.com/tamiya-light-grey-fine-surface-primer-spray-paint-180ml-tam87064/p-xqyqs4sqcqabg4yz

Claff
Claff HalfDork
12/7/21 10:00 p.m.
Gunchsta said:

I'm slacking big time on this one. Motivation to finish the Chrysler I started a couple years ago is notably absent, but I did pick up this corvette to tinker with. It's contest ineligible but I guess I'll share with the class anyhow.

I built that Vette model "back in the day." As much as I wanted to keep it yellow I eventually painted it dark blue, can't even remember what I used for the interior. I used all the same body kit pieces and the custom wheels too. Found a pic, it's in the background of this Fiero pic.

PS still haven't made any progress on the '58 but that'll change this week. Still lulled into the comforting "it won't take very long and there's still plenty of time" stage of procrastination.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
12/8/21 2:13 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

It's definitely a flawed kit, but lowering it helps. I modified mine by stuffing the big tires further inboard (lots of hacking required) and grooving them to be dirt tires (makes their huge size a bit more plausible in my opinion), but with the tire swap you did you could get away with just drilling new holes for the axles (and possibly using plastic rod to make stub axles for the front, to be able to lower it without having the metal axle intrude further on the engine block)

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/8/21 9:17 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

https://www.hobbytown.com/tamiya-light-grey-fine-surface-primer-spray-paint-180ml-tam87064/p-xqyqs4sqcqabg4yz

Can I use that over the Testors flat white primer I already laid down?

12/8/21 9:44 p.m.

I don't see why not. They make it in white too. 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
12/9/21 1:07 p.m.

I just realized that 90% of the 767b kit involves working with the main body, so I kind of need that to be painted before I attach everything to it. Unfortunately I keep messing up the paint on it. Hopefully by tonight I'll be able to move forward on it. Wait, I need to mask and paint the orange part too. Dangit.

The Molotow pen did a great job on the wheel rims, at least.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
12/9/21 2:35 p.m.

Those rims look great! The only downside with the Molotow pens is they don't have much of a shelf life. Maybe 6 months, at best. Then the ink gets dull and no amount of shaking will restore it. Fortunately, it seems to stay shiny on the headlights and oleo struts I've put it on over the last couple of years.

Got the first decals on the Sierra. Waiting for the Solvaset to soften the stripes so I can press them into the door handles.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
12/9/21 2:49 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

Nice! I've got one of those with the Rouse Kaliber decals in my "to do" pile. 

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
12/9/21 2:52 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

I was Hobby Lobby the other day and saw they have 8.5x11 blank sheets of water slide decal paper. Use your laser jet to print on those and I guess cut them out by hand...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
12/9/21 10:45 p.m.

First thin coat of "color", DuPont 402L acrylic lacquer is on. I think I am going to two tone it with the white remaining above the belt line because I have an idea for decals on the side panels, and I can't make white decal. Also I have a sampler of "House of Color" Tequila Sunrise that I want to try on something. This might be it.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/10/21 8:33 a.m.
slowbird said:

I just realized that 90% of the 767b kit involves working with the main body, so I kind of need that to be painted before I attach everything to it. Unfortunately I keep messing up the paint on it. Hopefully by tonight I'll be able to move forward on it. Wait, I need to mask and paint the orange part too. Dangit.

The Molotow pen did a great job on the wheel rims, at least.

Hey I have a couple sets of the real version of those wheels! Loving watching you guys rocking these kits.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
12/12/21 12:21 a.m.

I always struggle to mask complicated shapes.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
12/12/21 5:59 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Same here.

I finished the decals on  the RS500. I got the "Please" too far back so the emergency cutoff stickers wouldn't fit where they were supposed to go. The decals are old and brittle (a chunk of the L in Please has already flaked off), so I'm not going to try to fix it.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/12/21 10:18 p.m.

Spraying some clear gloss over the decals before application sometimes helps them stay intact.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
12/13/21 9:43 a.m.

I usually use Future for that, but these seemed okay while I was applying them. They didn't get brittle until after they dried.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/14/21 8:50 a.m.

Some  more progress on the ineligible Corvette- suspension is on the chassis and I got to set the wheels on it and scope it out. 

It's so trashy I love it. 

12/14/21 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Why is it ineligible?

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/14/21 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I bought and started it in December- it wasn't a stalled project it was a new one 

Well, my apologies I went back and re-read the contest description on page 1. I had the assumption in my head that the theme was ONLY stalled projects. That is incorrect. Consider this a street car! 

Claff
Claff HalfDork
12/14/21 9:38 p.m.

Finally got all my other projects out of the way so now I can think about the model car.

First thing I discovered was that there is at least one more missing part than I thought at first, and it's a fairly big one: looks like there's supposed to be a metal axle going through the rear end, and I don't have that anywhere. Looks like my best/easiest option, being a hack mechanic, is to just glue the wheel right onto the end of the axle, with my fingers crossed that they don't wind up being too far inset inside the body. On the plus side, I plan on putting fender skirts on and they'll mask any poor fitment that results.

The biggest thing to build is that rear suspension, and unfortunately that's really all that needs building so once I get a couple parts glued, that's it for a while. So I did that, then spent some time painting the trim on the body (there's plenty of that to keep me busy for quite some time). It doesn't sound like much, but it's more progress on this kit than it's seen in ~30 years, so it's a lot closer to being done than it has been in a generation.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
12/14/21 9:53 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

You could get some styrene rods and cut one to length for a rear axle. Should work just about as good as a metal axle but easier to work with. Just need to figure out the diameter, since some kits use bigger or smaller axles. Being an older kit I'm guessing it uses small ones. Like maybe 1/16 of an inch or so. I've also bought some metal rods on ebay and used a dremel to cut them.

Speaking of mounting wheels...this step makes it feel like I've made progress, without actually making much progress.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zFDuG8at77rOsHxXbW5iiAjrvlV4XXUVMlBkys06IebT75jNtTALManpYMGj7OPQ