1 2
carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/17/11 12:30 p.m.

The last Harry Potter movie is over.

Sometimes movies take on a life of their own. We took our very young grandson to the very first one, he enters Jr. High this year.

His mom was afraid it would be too violent and scare him but we lobbied for him to go anyway. Everyone, except this one was a mega family event for us. We always saw them together.

When we watched this one it was hard not to get a little sad that we didn't have the new P Potter movies to look forward to. (for whatever reason our grandson always called him P. Potter).

It was also sad for the people who played the characters. They don't realize how different their lives will be without the working on the movies. Now they are just 3 individuals (friends) who will go their own ways and it will never be the same again.

When you finish a movie (much less a series of movies) or a TV series gets cancelled your life changes. Like they say "you don't miss what you've got till you don't have it anymore."

stroker
stroker HalfDork
7/17/11 1:27 p.m.

I felt the same way about the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I'm very much looking forward to JK Rowling's crime novel, whenever she finishes it.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
7/17/11 2:12 p.m.

I know what you mean. I really do get sad when I finish a series of books/movies/TV show. My wife and I made a point to reread all the books and then watch all the movies before we saw the first half of the last movie.

I enjoyed the last HP movie. It was very well done (aside from two scenes that cracked me up by being so bad).

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
7/17/11 3:04 p.m.

I have a feeling these movies will have the "Star Wars" effect on the actors.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/17/11 3:59 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: I have a feeling these movies will have the "Star Wars" effect on the actors.

Disagree, as some of them have already been in other films/branched out.

Also, was Star Wars ever thought to "succeed" when it was first conceived? I doubt the actors from it made out that well, unlike the ones in the HP series. You also have to consider, the HP series is what, over SIX movies long. Once you get past the third, you're probably getting a cool couple mil per movie. They are set for life.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/17/11 3:59 p.m.

haven't watched any of them and no plans too.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/17/11 5:23 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: haven't watched any of them and no plans too.

Your loss, but part of the fun was the process. The anticipation of the movies coming out, reading the books, planning the get togethers, etc.

It was ostensibly a kids movie, but it was very enjoyable for the adults as well.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
7/17/11 5:44 p.m.

there will be more movies- there's prequels to make and stories that happen to minor characters and in between the movies.

i've never seen any of them- i tried to watch the first one, i really did.. but it all just seemed so damn silly and British to me..

here's a pretty good breakdown of my Harry Potter experience:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harry-potter-films-according-to-someone-who-never-saw-them/

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
7/17/11 11:12 p.m.

Mark Hamill and Carrie Fischer have made more movies, but the only person to see any success since those movies is Harrison Ford, since everyone else is "that person from Star Wars".

Daniel Radcliffe will always be known to most as Harry Potter, same with Ellijah Wood.... "who? OH! You mean Frodo?"

I do wish them all the best, and hope to see more from them.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/17/11 11:14 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: I have a feeling these movies will have the "Star Wars" effect on the actors.

Rupert Grint is pretty funny and he has done several other movies already.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/17/11 11:19 p.m.

Yeah my fiance is in the process of reading the books and is kinda bummed that the movies are all over with now.the author has said she won't write any more HP books. I held out for a long time not watching the movies or reading the books then finally gave in to a friend telling me I have to read them, that was about when the fifth book came out. At first I read her copies then bought my own.

The thing I was so impressed with was how this one series of books managed to get so many non readers reading books. These days that is an amazing thing. I read just about anything and everything it just depends on my mood. I have a small library of my own books including some well over 100 years old, others that are super rare and then some that are like the HP books that are just a good fun read.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/18/11 12:34 a.m.

For the actors, you have the "Now what?" effect, but you also get some "It's Over" rituals, like Emma Watson cutting her hair super short or John Rhys-Davies burning a Gimli mask after LOTR.

Either way these actors are set for life if they wanted to retire now, and have the power to make ANY movie they want.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/18/11 12:58 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: like Emma Watson cutting her hair super short

Emma Watson just wanted to be as cool as Natalie Portman... and failed miserably. Portman FTW! And either one looks terrible with short "is it a man or is it a woman" hair.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
7/18/11 3:25 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: here's a pretty good breakdown of my Harry Potter experience: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harry-potter-films-according-to-someone-who-never-saw-them/

That was excellent . I also dismissed the whole HP franchise as being too silly and not enough up-my-alley. Whatever, my loss.

I have seen Daniel Radcliffe in a few other films, (or at least one - some WW1 drama), and he's a very good actor.

Describing this in writing now sounds overly sentimental, but I do know what you mean about a feeling of "loss" following the end of a book/tv series you really enjoyed.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
7/18/11 6:07 a.m.

I saw it on PBS it was "My son Jack"

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
7/18/11 9:27 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: there will be more movies- there's prequels to make and stories that happen to minor characters and in between the movies. i've never seen any of them- i tried to watch the first one, i really did.. but it all just seemed so damn silly and British to me.. here's a pretty good breakdown of my Harry Potter experience: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harry-potter-films-according-to-someone-who-never-saw-them/

I believe JK Rowling has said she won't write anything else in the Harry Potter Universe. Which doesn't mean she might not later, or other people might, or movies will be made without author input. Personally I'd be ok with no more HP movies.

Also, for those of us who read the books, did anyone feel like they should have ended after the 3rd one?

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
7/18/11 10:02 a.m.
stroker wrote: I felt the same way about the Lord of the Rings trilogy....

You do know they are making The Hobbit, right? Two or three movies I believe.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/18/11 10:50 a.m.
aircooled wrote: You do know they are making The Hobbit, right? Two or three movies I believe.

The thing with the LOTR series, is that from the Silmirilian alone (brutalized the spelling, sorry), they could make another 10 movies, and it would all be relevant, important information to the storyline. LOTR does not give you a true grasp of Tolkien's universe until you've read that book.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/18/11 11:30 a.m.

"Silmarillion", I believe. And I agree.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/18/11 12:49 p.m.
Duke wrote: And I agree.

I guess I should add, not only relevant, but BAMF storylines of heroics and general kick-assery

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
7/18/11 1:55 p.m.

I think a big part of this is that you little grandson is not so little anymore, since seeing the first 'Potter film. I've done the same with one of my nephews. He was a little guy who hid behind the popcorn. Now he's 3 inches taller than me. High School, too. Each film made a milestone/marker for you and him.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
7/18/11 2:26 p.m.

I need to see someone make movies out of David Eddings's books.

Or Terry Goodkind.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/18/11 2:27 p.m.

meh...I honestly dont care much for european cinematography...I cant put my finger on it, but for the most part, their films always seem...well, off I guess.

Not badmouthing anyone tho, I was really kinda sad after Lost was over, Band of Brothers was another that made me a little sad to see end too. there have been some novel series that hurt worse ...I think its because of the time involved - you have to devote a considerable amount of time in order to read 5 or 6 novels on the same topic/story. That time allows you to get attached.

imirk
imirk Reader
7/18/11 2:49 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Or Terry Goodkind.

They made a TV show ...

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/18/11 3:57 p.m.

I grew up with the books. I read the first in 4th grade, the next two in 5th grade, and the rest when they came out. I really enjoyed them, kind of like brain candy. I too am/was sad that the movies/books are over, but I feel that way about all of my favorite book series. It is probably for the best anyways.

Drewsifer wrote: Also, for those of us who read the books, did anyone feel like they should have ended after the 3rd one?

How so?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mg0UvVfVGrz8lymtB6FwM9tmYoDf09rIacj1GL52wwXB79ke2MqcGUH23ZkPVpYN