1 2
Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/18/11 4:01 p.m.
Drewsifer wrote: Also, for those of us who read the books, did anyone feel like they should have ended after the 3rd one?

There were a couple of books in the middle (Order of the Phoenix maybe?) where Harry spent hundreds of pages whining and complaining. I was ready to choke the crap out of him - then I remembered that I wanted to choke the crap out of my own teenagers. I'm sure my parents felt the same way about me at that age. So I wrote it off to verisimilitude.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
7/18/11 4:11 p.m.

J.K. will be releasing e-books later this year, so it has been widely reported. I don't think Potter will be in any of them; IIRC she has said that the series of books has run its course.

However, it IS (can be) very hard for an author to give up a host of characters or character they have so throughly enjoyed. So, there is a possibility for muggles to be reading about adult Harry and/or his school chums in the future.

You KNOW the studio is doing everything it can to get another movie. The film will probably break a Billion in gross by the end of next weekend.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/18/11 4:11 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Drewsifer wrote: Also, for those of us who read the books, did anyone feel like they should have ended after the 3rd one?
There were a couple of books in the middle (*Order of the Phoenix* maybe?) where Harry spent hundreds of pages whining and complaining. I was ready to choke the crap out of him - then I remembered that I wanted to choke the crap out of my *own* teenagers. I'm sure my parents felt the same way about me at that age. So I wrote it off to verisimilitude.

Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows were both too long, that is for sure.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/18/11 4:16 p.m.
mtn wrote: I grew up with the books.

I grew up with the books to, but damn son you are young (and I'm only 22)... unless my memory is shot already, I was probably 14 when they first started coming out...

I know I resisted for a hell of a long time because I was like LOTR > HP

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
7/18/11 4:17 p.m.

OTOH, Breaking Bad is back! Walter White is cooking again. One of the best series ever presented on TV. And, what was with the end of "The Killing", also an AMC-TV production. Lots of hype the killer will be revealed, and we have to wait until next season to really find out? Still, with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Killing, and others, AMC is on a roll.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/18/11 4:38 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
mtn wrote: I grew up with the books.
I grew up with the books to, but damn son you are young (and I'm only 22)... unless my memory is shot already, I was probably 14 when they first started coming out... I know I resisted for a hell of a long time because I was like LOTR > HP

Your memory is shot. I'm 21. The first book came out in 1998 in the US, according to Wiki.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
7/18/11 4:41 p.m.
triumph5 wrote: J.K. will be releasing e-books later this year, so it has been widely reported. I don't think Potter will be in any of them; IIRC she has said that the series of books has run its course.

She's releasing the Harry Potter books on ebook, not writing new ones.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/18/11 4:55 p.m.
mtn wrote: Your memory is shot. I'm 21. The first book came out in 1998 in the US, according to Wiki.

Wow... just wow. That really amazes me, I had no idea

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
7/18/11 5:21 p.m.

Never saw any of the movies, never read any of the books. Same with LOTR. Am I out of touch?
Now before you say I'm outta touch, I heard through the grapevine that a Japanese car company is thinking about coming out with a 2-seat roadster that is like a modern-day MG. The MX something-or-other...

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
7/18/11 5:39 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
triumph5 wrote: J.K. will be releasing e-books later this year, so it has been widely reported. I don't think Potter will be in any of them; IIRC she has said that the series of books has run its course.
She's releasing the Harry Potter books on ebook, not writing new ones.

She's releasing NEW fiction as e-books directly instead of going through a publisher.

Hal
Hal Dork
7/18/11 7:23 p.m.

I own and have read all the books several times. Haven't watched any of the movies even with them being on TV recently.

I am usually disappointed in movies after reading the books. Most movies aren't true to the books and leave a lot of detail out.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/18/11 9:02 p.m.

While it is true many books leave out lots of detail, in this case JK wrote many of the books after the series was begun and wrote them with an eye towards the movie which means the movie was spot on.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
7/18/11 9:09 p.m.

And I don't look for movies representing books verbatim; rather reinterpreting the characters and giving them faces. Unless you want 15-hour movies, the books will always hold more detail.

flountown
flountown Reader
7/18/11 10:14 p.m.

My issues with the movies fell more to the made up/ludicrous scenes, rather than leaving detail out. I understand not everything can be kept in, but for example, the 5th book has an epic battle between Voldemort and Dumbledore in the ministry of magic, and if they had stuck to the book it would have been epic on film, instead they turned it into a Jedi force/electricity fight.

Also the scene in the 6th movie, IIRC, where Bellatrix destroys the Weasleys' house, WTF was that. It wasn't in the book, and the created scene forced better details to be left out of other scenes of the movie...

I really liked the 7th movie because they held true to the books better, and used some of the priceless quotes word for word, which I think is something that previous movies missed.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/18/11 10:54 p.m.

One thing I did not like about the last movie was the wand scene from the end of the book. In the book he repairs his original wand before discarding the elder wand in the movie he doesn't kinda odd. I did like Mrs Weasley fighting Bellatrix scene. There were other scenes though that were left out but refered to later on that should have been left in and would not have taken much time.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
7/19/11 11:56 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
stroker wrote: I felt the same way about the Lord of the Rings trilogy....
You do know they are making The Hobbit, right? Two or three movies I believe.

yes. Can't wait.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TPEBnDoP81VBWR21RayFyAAHpJ6ZWOS1dNmf1wGdeGlyQcCSggSOOTvnTzNBeFPt