1 2 3 4 5
Claff
Claff Reader
1/11/21 10:36 p.m.

Late to the party as usual. I could build that big Healey I was awarded here last year but I'm not sure what the scale is.

1/32 options on Amazon don't inspire me. I found some on the Hobby Lobby site that pique my interest but the closest one is a bit of a haul for me (well the internets say it's only 45 minutes from home, thought it was further south). If I can manage to find my way down that way I'll see if it their in-store stock has anything. If not, there's always next month.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/12/21 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

Big Healey is 1/24th.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/12/21 9:53 a.m.

Decent progress on both small scale projects No pics of the SS100, it is just paint & polish time on coachwork before final assembly. The Lancia though I can show the engine without the exhaust system yet. Plug wires in 1/43 scale are part of the kitsurprise  Kinda fiddly to build but it works visually, and you see it through the plastic (just like the real thing) rear window.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/12/21 10:23 p.m.

Both the Lancia and the SS100 have more progress. The SS100 will be done by about Monday. Just final assembly to go. More time taken on the 037, including body primer, oh boy there are pinholes that didn't show before primesad The engine/trans assembly is now ready for installation. Lots more bits have to go on after the roll cage back braces go over it....

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
1/13/21 7:40 a.m.

Looking great guys! Glad to see this is soldiering on. 

I'm ineligible for the contest as this is 1/24 scale, but heres the AMT 1951 Chevy I'm working on. 

Blurry fuel injected 6! 

I got an airbrush & compressor for christmas so I've been experimenting that versus rattle cans. 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/13/21 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Once you get the hang of the airbrush, you'll love it. A lot of people get great results with rattle cans, but I've never been one of them.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/14/21 12:23 a.m.

I just got an airbrush, but I want a different compressor. The one I have in the garage is big and loud and annoying.

Interior done, starting to test-fit the cage. Blue belts instead of red because I just liked it better.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/14/21 3:40 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I picked up a cheap small Testors compressor a few years ago that's worked pretty well. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/14/21 10:12 a.m.

I painted mine. Tamiya rattle can.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/14/21 4:28 p.m.

Did you prime first? That usually helps with the paint 'outlining'.

1/14/21 5:25 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I did, it's still super wet in that photo. Here's what it looks like now dry as I start to do some chrome work:

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
1/14/21 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I actually like the "outlining" in this case.  It looks like a 70's-tastic paint job.  Coupled with the giant blower, it just works for me.  I'd consider changing paint mediums, thinning it and running the panel lines with a VERY dark blue or maybe even a black.  Make the multi-tone blue look intentional.

Loving it so far.   

OzRaceFan
OzRaceFan
1/15/21 12:49 a.m.

Hmmmmm....a long time in the build process....let's give it a run.

one eighth scale CAE Sprint car from the mid-sixties.

327 Chevy, Halibrand wheels, left/right hand threaded knock off wheel nuts (fronts are shallower than the rears). 

Liberty Classics engine block, hand fabbed injector ram tubes.

Queensland banana.

OzRaceFan
OzRaceFan New Reader
1/15/21 12:56 a.m.

THRIFT STORE CAMARO. Cos I bought it in a Vallejo CA thrift store.  wink

Patina and splitter........just complete enough to let your imagination run wild!

OzRaceFan
OzRaceFan New Reader
1/15/21 1:09 a.m.

1940's Sprint car. Cast aluminum, probably 60 years old.

Narrowed by band sawing 3/8" out of the centerline, adding sheetmetal fin and re-welding around entire circumference. Longer wheelbase.

Aussie banana.

OzRaceFan
OzRaceFan New Reader
1/15/21 1:26 a.m.

"Not ANOTHER Camaro" .......

Roadsterized by cutting 10" ( I think ) out of the wheelbase, bikini door skin, tonneau, convertible windshield glass. Monogram 1:18 ?

OzRaceFan
OzRaceFan New Reader
1/15/21 1:27 a.m.

Underside....worked out real tidy.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
1/15/21 8:41 a.m.

Continuing progress on the Chevy

Its not a great kit, some parts are kinda fiddly and vague on where exactly they should be, but it's got some neat parts and options so it's fun. 

Front wheels look out of place, but I think I straightened them so they look a little better now. 

rolsen01
rolsen01 New Reader
1/15/21 9:45 a.m.

Any issues with entering a 3D printed 'kit' in 1/8 scale?

Claff
Claff Reader
1/15/21 3:49 p.m.

OK I'm in. Hobby Lobby came through with three AMT 1/32 choices: '60 TBird, '63 Vette coupe, and '32 Ford coupe. I'm a Vette guy since a child so that was my first lean, but then I figured I could wind up with a better finished product with the '32 as it would be easy to two-tone it and thus look like a little extra effort was put into it. So here we are:

Hope to have some progress done over the weekend.

1/15/21 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

That's a honey of a kit, should be really nice!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/15/21 8:20 p.m.

In reply to rolsen01 :

That is awesome. Is any of it not 3d printed? Well besides the wires and plumbing.....

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/15/21 8:38 p.m.

Chassis complete on the Fiesta. Body has to be painted before continuing. Time to start on the Mini I guess.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/15/21 8:52 p.m.

My Ferrari is still "in transit" according to the USPS. Might have to hit the local craft store for a kit. Getting worried.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/16/21 6:38 a.m.

In reply to rolsen01 :

We're going to need to know a lot more about that. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jpdO00SK00E5HrJm041agY2cYxNgOikC5GMjfqJaatJAhw1aT8I0LMtXWDsDTOXr