1 2
Rza
Rza HalfDork
12/9/09 7:45 a.m.

I just wanted to give a shout out to my 1998 Jeep Cherokee. It drove me through 35 unplowed town and highway miles to get me to work on time. There's probably around 8" on the ground right now and expected another 6" or so and I didnt see a single Plow Truck the entire 35 miles. (Appleton to Green Bay, WI)

Thanks to my little Jeep.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
12/9/09 8:51 a.m.

My 93 Jeep Cherokee hauled a Lincoln from OKC to Dallas, towed the Miata when it broke and ran some pretty steep trails at the nearby off road park this year and it's still always ready to haul dogs to the dog park, tow cars to the track and work as a back up daily driver.

One of the best vehicles they ever made.

Rza
Rza HalfDork
12/9/09 9:38 a.m.

Yup shes my backup DD too!

nocones
nocones Reader
12/9/09 9:39 a.m.

My 2006 pontiac Vibe made the exact same trip from Darboy to Bellevue (Appleton to Green bay for those not from N.E.W) on all seasons.. Where you work?

skruffy
skruffy Dork
12/9/09 9:41 a.m.

I've thought about picking one of these up as a winter beater for years. There's even a 5spd 4x4 on my local craig's for a grand.

nocones
nocones Reader
12/9/09 9:42 a.m.

Oh.. I get it now.. You live on my Street.. You just use a different name here than on Locost.. I thought it was the same (RossD) though?

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
12/9/09 9:46 a.m.

I have always wanted to lower a 2wd version and make it a Challenge car or a LeMons car. That straight six has lots of HP and torque.

Rza
Rza HalfDork
12/9/09 10:04 a.m.

Sorry Nocones, I changed my login for fun the other day. Yeah I drive all the way north to highway 29 to the business park west of 41 a bit.

Rza
Rza HalfDork
12/9/09 10:06 a.m.

I've already went and picked a guy up and brought him in to the office this morning since he was out with mono last month and doesnt have any vacation time left. I was trailblazing (or should it be jeeping) down his subdivision roads driving from mailbox to mailbox since I couldnt see where the road was.

EricM
EricM Dork
12/9/09 10:16 a.m.

We are getting a lot of wind and some freezing precip, the 93 Cherokee didin't miss a beat.

I did do a 4 wheel "drift" around one corner. I slowed down after that.

Rza
Rza HalfDork
12/9/09 11:15 a.m.

Its good to see that I'm not the only one missing one or two of those center caps on the steelies. My wheels look significantly more rusted than yours though.

carzan
carzan Reader
12/9/09 12:12 p.m.

Yup, my '93 got me to work no problemo...tho' we "only" got 5".

EricM
EricM Dork
12/9/09 1:17 p.m.
Rza wrote: Its good to see that I'm not the only one missing one or two of those center caps on the steelies. My wheels look significantly more rusted than yours though.

If you can find a cheap source for those center caps let me know.

I do know that the steelies are easily painted black

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
12/9/09 6:00 p.m.

The little XJ is the best all-around Jeep in my opinion.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
12/9/09 6:13 p.m.

My wife's Grand Cherokee (I think the cool kids call it a WJ) is frustrating. It's so freakin' good at putting power down that snowy parking lot hooliganism is basically not an option. It's got the V8 so it's not short on horsies either.

Great for getting places, but it's got so little road feel it's not surprising these things end up in ditches so often.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
12/9/09 11:36 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: I have always wanted to lower a 2wd version and make it a Challenge car or a LeMons car. That straight six has lots of HP and torque.

Not sure if its a shame or a good you are so far away from this: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1503258521.html

knb13
knb13 New Reader
12/10/09 11:12 a.m.

I love mine too... '89 4-door. Got it for $80, put a new engine (slightly built), new brakes, cooling system, start/alt, and she is good to go for a long time. Just picked up a 3" Rough Country lift too.... goes anywhere I need it to... makes enough rattles along the way, but we get there.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
12/10/09 6:11 p.m.

I enjoyed mine in the time I had it, 91 Limited 4.0 HO with the AW4 and NP242. I found it in Gabe and Noelle's yard where it had been left by a friend of their's, I put 47k miles on it in a few years after lifting it and using it hard. It never left me stranded, or even close and did more than I could ask of an SUV that size. I sold it on this board, even.

EricM
EricM Dork
12/12/09 5:21 p.m.

Did anyone else notice that 75W-90 Gear oil smells really bad?

It is all over my hands. Mental note, next time wear Latex gloves.

Photobucket

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
12/12/09 5:24 p.m.

I'm a Wrangler guy, but XJs have always gotten massive respect in the Jeep community. For good reason.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/12/09 5:38 p.m.

I have been very seriously considering one for a work truck. I have to deliver boxes to freight forwarders, some are 30 miles away in west Miami. My choice will be either a Cherokee or an older Volvo wagon. Any thoughts on that?

EricM
EricM Dork
12/12/09 6:37 p.m.

Cherokees don't get the best gas milage. I think at best you will get 17 or 18 MPG so that should be concidered.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/12/09 6:42 p.m.

Actually, I am more concerned with strength, vision, and it ain't gonna leave me stranded. Driving in Miami is flat dangerous.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
12/12/09 7:26 p.m.
dxman92 wrote:
Snowdoggie wrote: I have always wanted to lower a 2wd version and make it a Challenge car or a LeMons car. That straight six has lots of HP and torque.
Not sure if its a shame or a good you are so far away from this: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1503258521.html

It's a shame. I have been wanting a Comanche (Cherokee Pickup) for years. My nephew in Grand Junction has one he won't sell me.

EricM
EricM Dork
1/7/10 9:27 a.m.

4 inches of snow today, 6 vehicles in the parking lot, 4 of them are jeeps.

I drove straight in, the biggest problem I had was finding something to listen to on the radio.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
URp5c7RNQRMTsI5adgcd1mvtCbKPesgIlHEW7C9DxGqLIsfvliif5XCVNIMjJiKB