1 2 3
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/6/22 7:47 p.m.

SWMBL (aka: Hot for Teacher) has expressed an interest in owning her own kayak, and a certain holiday is approaching.  Strangely, I posted a similar thread a few years ago for Biker Chick, but she already had the kayak, I just needed to fab the carrier on her beetle cabrio.  But that's rear-view mirror.

(I'd like to buy a kayak for my girlfriend for Christmas)

I know very little about the different varieties and what would be good, so I'll describe the situation and maybe you can suggest a style/brand/whatever that would suit.

Hot for Teacher is 5'3" and maybe 115 lbs soaking wet.  Super athletic - trail runner, mountain biker, and it seems like she's running a 5K every other weekend.  Her kayaking has so far been borrowing a random boat to paddle around a new lake or stream.  Her use of a kayak would be to paddle around to experience the outdoors and get a little exercise.  Diversify her portfolio of outdoor fitness routines, so to speak.  No whitewater, no races, no fishing, just get on the water and watch the birds/deer/idiots at the boat ramp trying to back a trailer. Fair weather only.  Her experience level is kinda beginner but her fitness level and petite size might suit her for something smaller... but I don't want to go so small that it's something she will spend more time staying upright than enjoying her surroundings.  Does that make sense?

Transport is a Prius hatch  (2018 I think) with a roof rack.  It has a 1-1/4" receiver hitch for her bike rack, so I can fab up a rear support from the hitch since the roof rack is pretty short fore/aft.  Focus should be on something on the lighter side so it's not a chore for her to load it herself and take off for the afternoon.

Used is perfectly fine.  If I have given the right info, are there some lengths/widths/styles you can throw out that might suit?  Anything else you need to know?

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/6/22 8:06 p.m.

With her size I'd point at a simple sit-in about 13'.  Something like a Perception Pescador or Perception Carolina.

It will be long enough to give straight line stability so she can cruise.  If you get short inexpensive models you do a lot of zig-zag and soon get frustrated, unless you are just floating downstream with a current.  Sounds like she is the type to really paddle and cruise along at a good rate.  Sit-ins also extend the season at each end.   

At one point I had 13 yaks stacked on racks, one for all the family plus 4 for me for varied uses.  Sit-on for skinny water salt water fishing,  13' for cruising with wife,  17' for hauling freight miles on end, two-seater to haul dog or grandkids.

I always bought at the end of the season from rental shops for dimes on the dollar.  They boats really don't wear out.   But, many rental shops are having a hard time getting new units so that option has not been great the last two years.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
11/6/22 8:07 p.m.

I'm not qualified to give much real advice but when I picked up a second hand (but not yet used) kayak this past spring I was looking for a roto-molded one rather than the alternative (Maybe vacuum or blow molded?).  

They seemed to have thicker hulls which I liked for general toughness. 

The deal I ended up with was a Future Beach Quantum 124 that I've been quite happy with.  (I'm 6' and 220 lbs that I'll admit to).  This is my first Kayak.  I use it occasionally and if I don't get too serious about Kayaking, it'll serve me well for a good, long while.  (If I get serious, I'll probably want something longer, I'm told...but so far I'm not feeling like I'll get to that point.)

When shopping used, watch for warpage and such due to improper storage.  I passed on a couple that had big permanent deformations on them from being stored in/on/under stuff that they shouldn't have been.  Here's a screenshot of the actual ad for the boat I bought:

Cool old wagons with Roof Racks make great Kayak rigs:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/6/22 8:13 p.m.

Another vote for a Perception Carolina. Tough and a pleasure to paddle. 

11/6/22 8:52 p.m.

I'm looking at pics of both (and used ads for both) the Pescador and the Carolina.  I think she would probably appreciate the larger cockpit opening (snicker) of the pescador... both for A) oops I tipped over, and B) hey, look at that cool shoreline I should get out and explore.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/6/22 9:12 p.m.

If used is an option, look into an early Wilderness Systems Pungo. 

Small, but roomy and comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and because of the chines, she'll never flip it over.  Made from recycled milk bottles, so the worst she can do is scratch or gouge it, in which case you just take a razor blade and trim away the little curled up piece of plastic. 

Weighs about 45 pounds. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/6/22 9:15 p.m.

A well designed kayak of modest length does not need a rudder. 

11/6/22 9:24 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Small, but roomy and comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and because of the chines, she'll never flip it over.  Made from recycled milk bottles, so the worst she can do is scratch or gouge it, in which case you just take a razor blade and trim away the little curled up piece of plastic. 

Weighs about 45 pounds. 

That Pungo looks like a perfect thing.... and then I saw that they sell for $800-1000 used.  Is there something similar to it that sells for something like $300 used?  She doesn't need the super-wonderful pro model.  She needs something for cruising, easy to embark/disembark, won't be a chore to keep upright, easy to transport on a Prius.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
11/6/22 9:29 p.m.

Do you need a sit-in? How about a 13' SOT?

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/6/22 9:43 p.m.

I spent a lot of time in kayaks on the West coast of BC until my back would no longer allow it. If she plans longer (half day or more) I suggest a nice long (16 or 17 ft) fiberglass one with a rudder and maybe a skeg you can pull up. And lots of storage, an adjustable seat and an easy to use spray deck. They are the most money but oh so nice to cruise in.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/6/22 9:48 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Weighs about 45 pounds. 

That Pungo looks like a perfect thing.... and then I saw that they sell for $800-1000 used.  Is there something similar to it that sells for something like $300 used?  She doesn't need the super-wonderful pro model.  She needs something for cruising, easy to embark/disembark, won't be a chore to keep upright, easy to transport on a Prius.

I'm shocked that they are selling for that much. I've owned mine for a long time but I think I paid less than $600 new. 

11/6/22 9:49 p.m.
hobiercr said:

Do you need a sit-in? How about a 13' SOT?

I guess I don't know.  What are the big benefits/drawbacks to sit-in vs. sit-on?  Likely gunnel height for water incursion?  Most of her excursions are on dammed up lakes on the river around here, but in case she wants to expand to river floats or intercoastal stuff it should be versatile.

She needs the CR-V or RAV4 of kayaks.  Something great as a DD - light, easy to park, and reliable, but also could possibly pull multiple duties in case she finds herself in a calm river or paddling the inland channels of Assateague.

11/6/22 9:52 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Weighs about 45 pounds. 

I'm shocked that they are selling for that much. I've owned mine for a long time but I think I paid less than $600 new. 

I found one for $500, but the seller claims there are multiple people in line to buy it.  Found a Pungo 14' four hours away for $250 without a seat or paddle, but it includes a child-sized PFD.  Very helpful.

11/6/22 10:03 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

She usually blocks out about 2-3 hours after work for her excursions, so nothing half-day.  She might take a water bottle and a camera instead of lunch and a roll of TP.

11/6/22 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

A sampling of what I found...

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
11/6/22 10:14 p.m.

For a beginner SOT is nice, if you go sideways on a sit in, it can fill quickly and that's a huge pain. SOT, you just fall off, and get back on, if that happens. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/6/22 10:58 p.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

I spent a lot of time in kayaks on the West coast of BC until my back would no longer allow it. If she plans longer (half day or more) I suggest a nice long (16 or 17 ft) fiberglass one with a rudder and maybe a skeg you can pull up. And lots of storage, an adjustable seat and an easy to use spray deck. They are the most money but oh so nice to cruise in.

I love a big 'glass sea kayak, but they're a pain when you're not in the water. The Carolina mentioned earlier is a good mix of speed and stability.

Not a fan of sit on tops, myself. They say "I've given up" :) For a sporty person, the slightly higher difficulty is rewarded with a much more pleasant boat. You can always wear a skirt if you're worried about getting some water inside, and practice deep water ditching/re-entry.

We have a number of kayaks at our cottage - R5, R7 (that's dating myself), a green glass thing with a big cockpit and a short length, and all of those are joined with a 13' and 16' Carolina these days. The 13' is the sweet spot, especially for smaller people. I like the 16' (it's mine) but I've got a lot more seat time in a kayak thanks to a lot of whitewater history. There's also a sit-on-top that's used by the same people who were the first to get a pontoon boat :) Not at our cottage.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
11/6/22 11:39 p.m.

My wife and I have a kayak each.  Hers is the yellow craft in the pic below; mine is the silver boat. She is about 120lbs, 5'10" or so. Her boat is a Current Designs "Squall" (I think that's the model) but without a rudder (doesn't need one), and is about 15.5' long. It's a beautiful little boat, just a tad too tight for me or I would have bought it for myself. My bride is reasonably athletic, but even without any experience it is a boat that most peope can easily paddle. Long enough to be fast, small enough to be maneuverable and put on a car roof easily. Don't get a SoT, in my experience they are wide, clumsy and slow and rob the joy from the experience as they are tiring to paddle.

Pic was taken on a 2-week trip on Lake Superior back in 2012. Two of the best weeks of our lives.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/6/22 11:49 p.m.

Current Designs makes beautiful boats to paddle. I've always wanted one. Bit of a hassle on a solo portage through the Ontario woods, though :)

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/7/22 6:17 a.m.

Starrkmoon kayaks, one of the best shops in the country, is in Delta, PA. Hit them up.

Also, you mentioned the bay, check out Canton kayak club. If their launch points work, arrive and paddle is much easier than packing up and loading out. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/7/22 8:35 a.m.

I have that same future beach one that does good on the non rapids portion of Richmond.

Can probably find a few left at whatever you're prefured dicks/greentop/etc. has marked down to clear out for the winter in the ~$200 range new.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
11/7/22 8:49 a.m.

Buying a yak for someone else is challenging.  They have to be comfortable in the seat and able to lift it solo.  With roof racks the lift is even tougher.  She will be sitting in it for hours at a time and if the seat doesn't fit her bottom it will not be enjoyable.  Stay away from the low end stuff, pelican, etc.  And avoid fiberglass for a first boat, the milk jug material boats are indestructible and easy to fix if they really get clobbered.  Sit on makes sense if she intends to jump off and swim but the paddling is better with a sit in and the center of gravity is lower so it is more stable.  I have flipped my sit in, got back in and paddled to shore so it is not impossible.

I do recommend perception but other brands are as good.  My 20 YO swifty has been great.  Slow because it is short but the seat fits my butt perfectly.  And light enough that I can lift it with one arm.

Maybe buy her a paddle and life jacket with an IOU for the boat.  

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
11/7/22 8:50 a.m.

Third me on the Perception Carolina 14.   It's a bit heavier than some of the 10 and 12 foot options at around 65 pounds but tracks and glides well.  Two water tight storage compartments for day tripping / lunch, etc.   Mine also has a flip up rudder that can be lowered underway if it gets breezy.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
11/7/22 9:02 a.m.

I have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 12 foot that I bought for $200 a couple years ago with a small hole that I fixed with a plastic welder. From what I found while looking there are good deals out there that you have to move fast on and most of the ones that sit around longer are higher priced. It seems hard to find anything used under $3-400 unless you constantly search and jump on any deals. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/7/22 9:18 a.m.

How about an inflatable? Can be transported in a Miata, and the lighter and less serious you are about kayaking, the more sense they make.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fpEnesT9C957LMKuRBuGOtwoQlJEYVbuzZsXm0T2U3H3HNUo4imEWWjFLMasuFxY