carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/24/12 11:03 p.m.

With the mild winter we are covered over with moths. Any truth to the cartoon scenarios of them eating your clothes and what can we do about it?

I'm thinking of bombing the whole house to get rid of those inside now but will that take care of the larvae?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/24/12 11:08 p.m.

heh.. I remember when we got infested with Gypsy Moths back in the 70s.. you could not even go outside without the catapillers landing on you and to see if you were tasty

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
4/24/12 11:08 p.m.

Mothra?

SVreX
SVreX UltimaDork
4/25/12 6:43 a.m.

I opened my closet a couple of months ago and found the entire back of my (only) suit jacket eaten away.

Yes, moths eat cloth.

AFAIK, the old fashioned moth ball or cedar chips ideas work just fine.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
4/25/12 8:20 a.m.

I hate moth balls. That is all.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/25/12 8:53 a.m.

Yes, moths eat cloth. Enthusiastically. I also found out, back in my poor-college-student days, that Florida roaches will eat fabric, too. Like, holes in bathroom towels amounts of eating. (I know, ew.)

Though maybe I should've posted that little factoid on this thread.

Margie

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/25/12 11:49 a.m.

It's typically wool that moths eat, not just any cloth. And fresh cedar does help, if you hate the methyl smell of mothballs. If you store your wool clothes in reasonably airtight containers, you'll be fine.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/25/12 12:22 p.m.

My cotton T shirts are the ones that have been showing up with holes in them over the past 2 years but I just thought they were old, maybe I've had a moth problem before and didn't realize it.

Can you add moth balls after the fact? It seems like the eggs would have already been laid.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/25/12 12:36 p.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
4/25/12 12:37 p.m.

How many moths does it take to get a pound of mothballs?

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
4/25/12 12:48 p.m.

Yah, the little bastards once turned a cashmere sweater into a lacy rag. I haven't had any problems like that in a long time though. Perhaps those frilly, thousand-mile-an-hour things that live in the basement ate them all?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/25/12 12:49 p.m.

Any super-fast moth is some species of sphinx moth.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
4/25/12 12:50 p.m.

I keep all of my woolens in sealed plastic garment bags or even large ziploc bags for sweaters. I have many cedar blocks in my closet, and if you clip one to a hanger you can hang the cedar up with your coats. Even though I buy my clothes at the thrift store, I'm not going to be feeding any moths with them.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/25/12 4:31 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: How many moths does it take to get a pound of mothballs?

I want to know how you get their legs apart

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/25/12 4:38 p.m.

With 6 legs I'm thinking it won't take as long as you're thinking

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4jw788Qkbzh2cMLqCVXMVAjYFzmRFnIuJBWG510yBQw0LWnIBtRKP6YH8sw47Qyy