5 6 7 8 9
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/11/12 7:51 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I have a nest, darn near the size of a watermelon. I don't know if my digi camera works anymore. If so I'll tape and post it. I'm thinking I'll soak the thing with my favorite wasp killer 'till it falls in a garbage can. Then celebrate with an adult beverage.
You don't have a stig suit and a shovel? Come on now... that is entirely too mundane given what GPS plans on doing.

A second race suit and a helmet would make for a nice Daft Punk vs. Wasps theme

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
8/11/12 8:07 p.m.

Camera and LED lighting are in place.

I might as well build suspense for what I am sure will be the biggest let-down since Geraldo opened Al Capone's vault.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
8/11/12 8:27 p.m.

heck yes

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
8/11/12 8:46 p.m.

I just tuned into this thread, and I completely approve of where this thread is going. Can't wait for the video, either completely anticlimactic, or a winner on Americans funniest, even without a hit to the crotch.

8/11/12 8:57 p.m.

The deed is done. Here is the Stig before fighting hornets.

When I stabbed it with the shovel they started pouring out of the rip by the assload. Hundreds of the evil bastards. I just kept spraying until I ran out. I don't think a single one got airborne. The nest is still hanging there because it was all mushy from drowning it with spray - the shovel cut it wide open but it wouldn't come off. I'll take care of that by daylight tomorrow.

The video looks like E36 M3 in the camera viewer. You can't see anything at all except my hands and darkness even with the LED. I'll rip and post for posterity. Definitely a fizzle though.

Maybe the mrs is excited by my manly insect murdering prowess and sexy race suit and I can get a little excitement yet tonight. Worth a shot... :)

8/11/12 9:04 p.m.

Also, daylight recon of the area.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/11/12 9:10 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: The deed is done. Here is the Stig before fighting hornets. When I stabbed it with the shovel they started pouring out of the rip by the assload. Hundreds of the evil bastards. I just kept spraying until I ran out. I don't think a single one got airborne. The nest is still hanging there because it was all mushy from drowning it with spray - the shovel cut it wide open but it wouldn't come off. I'll take care of that by daylight tomorrow. The video looks like E36 M3 in the camera viewer. You can't see anything at all except my hands and darkness even with the LED. I'll rip and post for posterity. Definitely a fizzle though. Maybe the mrs is excited by my manly insect murdering prowess and sexy race suit and I can get a little excitement yet tonight. Worth a shot... :)

Put on the helmet- pretend you're a stranger?

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
8/11/12 9:19 p.m.

"Call me the Exterminator, apprentice of the Terminator."

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
8/11/12 9:30 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Put on the helmet- pretend you're a stranger?

I thought you did that by sitting on your hand for 1/2 hour or so.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
8/11/12 9:32 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/11/12 9:47 p.m.

good showing. It is a nice practice run....next up, we'll see a match between GPS and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
8/11/12 10:01 p.m.
Tonight - I try again.

There is no "try."

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
8/11/12 11:24 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: I will now combine two things that have already been mentioned in this thread. Brakleen AND fire, redneck flame thrower. And definitely film this. Actually don't do this. It's just to get you stung about a billion times and probably the can of Brakleen will burst.

Burning chlorinated brake cleaner produces phosgene, one of the nastier of the WW1 gasses.

viking
viking New Reader
8/12/12 12:13 a.m.

Starter fluid works great. Used some last week. They just died on the spot

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
8/12/12 2:36 a.m.

Well, I didn't get to it tonight and even if I did, after that pic of GPS I see that It'd be a total let down anyway.
Just like my high school prom, I'm shown up by the guy in the helmet. I don't know what that means, it's 3:38 am.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/12/12 3:36 a.m.

I was wishing for this.....but videoed:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176

Although....there is a certain majesty of these 4 pictures:

DelayedPenalty
DelayedPenalty New Reader
8/12/12 6:32 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: good showing. It is a nice practice run....next up, we'll see a match between GPS and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

Oh heeeeelllll no!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/12/12 9:24 a.m.
DelayedPenalty wrote:
JoeyM wrote: good showing. It is a nice practice run....next up, we'll see a match between GPS and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk
Oh heeeeelllll no!
wiki said: Commenting on his own experience, Justin Schmidt described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[2] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, second only to that of the bullet ant and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric".[4]
8/12/12 9:32 a.m.

In reply to ScottRA21:

Hahaha! Awesome.

fifty
fifty Reader
8/12/12 11:11 a.m.
When I close my eyes, I see fire...and bees.

roffle

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
8/12/12 12:48 p.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: I was wishing for this.....but videoed: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176 Although....there is a certain majesty of these 4 pictures:

This is just stupid. Those aren't wasps, they're bees! Any of the beekeepers I know would have been happy to come and get them.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
8/12/12 1:25 p.m.

This thread was my sons bed time story last night (edited of course) He loved it !!!!!! He is 7.

He and I giggled and laughed through it all.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/12/12 1:31 p.m.
Lesley wrote: This is just stupid. Those aren't wasps, they're bees! Any of the beekeepers I know would have been happy to come and get them.

As the dude in the thread said: Not likely to happen on a holiday weekend. Secondly...I have no problem with it being bees, wasps, or hornets (Though I do prefer watching Hornets and Wasps getting it...). It's bees. They aren't exactly on the brink of extinction, and they were on the kid's swingset on a holiday weekend.

....The cruelly ironic part of course is....is that the swingset was useless after the bee-manity!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/12/12 1:45 p.m.
ScottRA21 wrote:
Lesley wrote: This is just stupid. Those aren't wasps, they're bees! Any of the beekeepers I know would have been happy to come and get them.
It's bees. They aren't exactly on the brink of extinction,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

The National Agriculture Statistics Service reported that there were 2.44 million honey-producing hives in the United States as of February 2008, down from 4.5 million in 1980, and 5.9 million in 1947
wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
8/12/12 4:08 p.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: It's bees. They aren't exactly on the brink of extinction,

edit: darn it Joey beat me to it ....

actually they're in a lot more trouble than you might think

http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/animals/bees.asp?gclid=CMfHo-j-4rECFY2b7QodskcAHA

Honey bees are disappearing across the country, putting $15 billion worth of fruits, nuts and vegetables at risk

The list of crops that simply won’t grow without honey bees is a long one: Apples, cucumbers, broccoli, onions, pumpkins, carrots, avocados, almonds … and it goes on.

Without bees to pollinate many of our favorite fruits and vegetables, the United States could lose $15 billion worth of crops -- not to mention what it would do to your diet.Beekeepers first sounded the alarm about disappearing bees in 2006. Seemingly healthy bees were simply abandoning their hives en masse, never to return. Researchers call the mass disappearance Colony Collapse Disorder, and they estimate that nearly one-third of all honey bee colonies in the country have vanished.

Why are the bees leaving? Scientists studying the disorder believe a combination of factors could be making bees sick, including pesticide exposure, invasive parasitic mites, an inadequate food supply and a new virus that targets bees' immune systems. More research is essential to determine the exact cause of the bees' distress.

Although the U.S. Department of Agriculture has allotted $20 million over the next five years for research, that amount pales in comparison with the potential loss of $15 billion worth of crops that bees pollinate every year. And the USDA has so far failed to aggressively seek out a solution.

If we don’t act now to save the honey bee, it might be too late. And no honey bees will mean no more of your favorite fruits and vegetables.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NDoczOBQglAUBmt4Ud1XeJFA78Ai5lGI5LOxofNVpEZRINAhKVlJ1MXCMb3kfaLn