1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/7/22 12:59 p.m.

Got it in two corners of my yard, its coming in from the neighbors.  I know there isn't much I can do about getting on their property and killing it properly, but I can at least get it all out from my yard.

I've rooted the small pieces out, but I've got one or two root structures that are about as big around as my thumb I haven't pulled.  I figure I'll leave them in the ground, and after pulling all the rest of those vines up except the central vine it'll have nowhere to go when I poison it?

Dad has had real luck in the past with triclopyr before.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/7/22 1:04 p.m.

I have no experience with that specifically but a general purpose weed and brush killer is where I would go. Also accidentally spraying over the property line is a thing or I would ask them if they mind you going after it. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/7/22 1:07 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Not gonna bother asking.  One of the two is an absolute shiny happy person.  I stopped caring about their opinion a solid three years ago

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/7/22 1:07 p.m.

Glyphospate (Roundup) should do it. But it only works on leaves, and if you have few leaves in proportion to the root you may need several dosages.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/7/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

On the remaining sections there are no leaves left.  Had to pull them through a bunch of roots and everything stripped.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/7/22 1:34 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Glyphospate (Roundup) should do it. But it only works on leaves, and if you have few leaves in proportion to the root you may need several dosages.

I was told by a reputable chemical guy that with vines that will tend to just defoliate instead of die from roundup, that you could cut the vine and dip the fresh cut into concentrated roundup. 

im no fan of virginia creeper. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/7/22 2:29 p.m.

I am continually amazed at the rate at which noxious weeds, vines, and unwanted trees assert themselves against my best efforts to keep a tidy 1.5 acre yard.  I mean, Pokeweed can go from a sprout to 8' high in like a month.  Insane!

From this little guy:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.canr.msu.edu%2Fpestid%2Fuploads%2Fimages%2FYoung-pokeweed-plant.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

To this monstrosity:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fucanr.edu%2Fblogs%2FUCDWeedScience%2Fblogfiles%2F9432.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
8/7/22 3:33 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Now I have a name for one of the weeds in my yard.  Thank you.  I think.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/7/22 3:34 p.m.

When I saw the title ......

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/7/22 3:36 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:
MadScientistMatt said:

I was told by a reputable chemical guy that with vines that will tend to just defoliate instead of die from roundup, that you could cut the vine and dip the fresh cut into concentrated roundup. 

im no fan of virginia creeper. 

Yep, that's what works for me. Sometimes I have to do it again. You can dip as suggested or just paint the cut ends with full strength glyphosphate

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/7/22 4:00 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Hey! I'm more obnoxious than creepy! And that's not one of the "names" I ever went by. 
Some of them will never be mentioned!

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
8/8/22 7:29 a.m.

I am surprised no one said fire.  

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
8/8/22 8:33 a.m.

I've had really good luck with both manually ripping out the larger roots, and spot killing with Brushtox in a little spary bottle

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/8/22 8:42 a.m.

Where can I get triclopyr and/or Brushtox? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/8/22 8:50 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Triclopyr is available via Amazon.  If you want to support local I'd avoid any of the big box stores, they don't deal with it normally.

It does have to be mixed with something that will transport the chemical into the cambium layer of the plant.  This sounds like a big deal but it isnt, Dad uses kerosene.

It is usually used best if you take a paint brush and a small can of it and paint the offending tree.  Dad has had such good luck with this method that he has gone into his swamp and gotten rid of invasive species while in the water and hasn't had it spread downstream. 

Basically, works really really well, but don't just expect it to work out of the box.  Read the instructions. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
8/8/22 8:53 a.m.

Tractor supply. I used 2/8th of a teaspoon of concentrate per liter of water

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/8/22 9:13 a.m.

In reply to TheTallOne17 :

Interesting, the active ingredient in Brushtox looks like triclopyr.  Its advertised as a foliar (applied to the leaves, like roundup) as well as a basal bark treatment. From what I understand, triclopyr doesn't do anything as a foliar, it is solely a treatment that goes on the bark.

Regardless, Angry it looks like Brushtox should be a good source of triclopyr, but it is already mixed.  If you want a more concentrated version you can just get unmixed online.  Depends on how many trees or woody weeds you need to get.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/8/22 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

OSHA approved flame thrower safety wear. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/8/22 9:53 a.m.
Noddaz said:

I am surprised no one said fire.  

I was going to suggest goats. You can rent a small herd of goats in a pen and they will eat... everything. They're not great at getting roots though, so might not be the best option in this case.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
8/8/22 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Honestly the only thing I've ever had success with is ripping every last bit of it that I can find out of the ground. I've run into root structures as big around as my wrist chasing those things around the yard. They go everywhere.

I've even gone so far as to rip it out of the neighboring yard when that house was unoccupied for a while. Also, goes without saying, but never ever ever let those suckers go to seed.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/8/22 12:46 p.m.
Nicole Suddard said:

In reply to Mr_Asa : but never ever ever let those suckers go to seed.

Never even considered that. You could try some pre emergent in the are if that happens. Keeps seeds from germinating. As a kid I used it in a small pellet form (like fertilizer) with success keeping weeds from spreading. I remember once it was dispersed over an area you water the area to get the process started.  

Edit:  looks like you can still get the stuff. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pre-emergent+weed+control&adgrpid=58800490071&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI86fP-Ni3-QIVk0lyCh1jzQAEEAAYAyAAEgI0CfD_BwE&hvadid=274680614283&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9002326&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14381958833349804315&hvtargid=kwd-313858322545&hydadcr=5631_9612780&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_hdn45qmac_e

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/8/22 1:01 p.m.

There is a material that had triclopyr, dicamba and some other ingredient, and I thought was called Brushtox.  I'll look around and see if I can come up with it.  

Here you go.  Also at Tractor Supply.  Only thing I don't care for with this brand is the concentrations are a little low.  

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-brush-killer-for-hard-to-kill-brush-1-gal-2511072-1636319?cid=Shopping-Bing-Product1636319-&msclkid=570e508b85ee173bc4eb327ac7d92144&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&utm_term=4585375807245420&utm_content=All%20Products

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
8/8/22 4:50 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

One of the few good things about Virginia Creepers is that they aren't inconspicuous about flowering, so if I notice them starting to get their plant freak on I just banish them to the yard trash bin before they can fruit.

Of course, I learned that lesson the hard way and am still paying for the one time a few years ago I let them get away with dropping their berries all over my yard.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/8/22 9:34 p.m.

Don't y'all have kudzu too???  not really ever heard of the vaginny creeper....but obviously i'm not from around there......I just have these stoopid tall stalking things that have been coming back for the last four years at least.....birds????

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/8/22 9:52 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Actually, I think Florida might have kudzu kinda under control.  I remember it all over as a teen but I can't remember the last time I saw an old house covered in it

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OqvezPhVrbL3pgcTgneyxVJY0Y09N3732vHUeH9fn6g3kvNLIEI1TzgtSwH861TN