ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/20/21 12:11 p.m.

Building a lamp.  Its basically a box.  Can I just put a normal bulb socket in the bottom and wire it up to a lamp cord?  If I solder/heatshrink the connection, is that acceptable?  Or do I need to make the connection occur inside the box, so its 100% lamp cord between box exterior and wall?

If the latter, any suggestions for something to mount to the box to hold/seat the hole where the wire exits?  Or a bulkhead connector of some sort?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/20/21 12:38 p.m.

If you wanted a little overkill, you could mount an electrical box made for mounting light fixtures inside your lamp, make the electrical connections with wire nuts, then mount the socket to the box.  Where the cord enters the electrical box, you should use an appropriate strain relief/grommet.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/21/21 10:59 a.m.

The type of socket you have pictured is designed to mount on to a rated J-box because the terminals are exposed.

I have done a similar thing using a lamp socket like this mounted to a ring of PVC with a cord clamp.

See the source image

2/21/21 11:11 a.m.

Or, where the cord exits, you install one of these.  You've seen millions of them before on your appliances.  The two halves squeeze together as you snap it in the hole.  Search Heyco strain relief bushing.

See the source image

2/21/21 11:12 a.m.

Clip from outside of base

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/21/21 4:25 p.m.

Thanks.  I finally realized... its all CNC wood, I can just create my own strain relief :P

I'll mount the socket on a 1/2" spacer to give space for thecord to reach the terminals inside, but that spacer will also clamp the cord to the bottom of the box so where it exits will be very secure.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4gZIaqZ5HEKIDC1C6RPZyWiUBvWiZvQ1tsUq3w3tCG7JJxEq9Ztww7yGMu0r69lp