benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
7/17/12 2:48 p.m.

Well my laptop's motherboard had something crap out on it and burned a circuit so it wouldn't charge the battery. I was going to repair the board but the local shop said it wasn't worth it so to either junk the computer or get a new motherboard. So being cheap and kind of curious what exactly is in a computer I am replacing the motherboard.

I already have my remanufactured motherboard and am installing it. My question is the new board has one of the parts taped to it to keep it from moving and damaging the board during shipping. This tape is on there pretty good, would the tape damage anything if I just leave it on there or should I remove it. The tape is like scotch tape and holds a thin metal frame to the board.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
7/17/12 2:53 p.m.

Did you check if the same part on the other motherboard is also taped on? If not I'd carefully remove it.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
7/17/12 2:59 p.m.

often they are glued on for a reason..

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
7/17/12 3:06 p.m.

OK got it off, time for the final assembly.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I cannot believe how little there is to a computer.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
7/17/12 6:05 p.m.

They pretty much build everything into the board now/ and even most of that is actually built into the chipset. Embedded mini PCs are tiny things these days.

Good luck with the install, and when you find you have extra screws don't worry too much. Just hold onto them in case you find out where they were supposed to go later.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/17/12 6:25 p.m.

I had my laptop open recently for some fixing of the power port and was happy to find videos on youtube that walked through the whole thing for my specific model.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
7/17/12 6:58 p.m.

I used a video on you tube also to figure this thing out. I actually pulled the board to fix the ac jack which I thought was broken since dell had a big recall on motherboards. Well the dc jack was fine but a circuit was burned up and I guess for 50$ it isn't worth fixing the board.

Everyone tells me I should just get a new computer, but I've had my laptop for 9 years and it runs just fine. It is a heavy son of a gun, like 10lbs heavy so not fun to carry around. It is destined to be the shop computer once I get it working.

Everything is back together but I don't have the ac cord so I'll post back if it works.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/17/12 7:16 p.m.

Good luck. I have a Dell from '06 with a dead power jack that I consider fixing. I think you are motivating me.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
7/17/12 8:47 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I had my laptop open recently for some fixing of the power port and was happy to find videos on youtube that walked through the whole thing for my specific model.

I have learned more useful info from youtube than high school. Building guns, repairing cars, learning high end software... it is a priceless tool... literally!

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
7/18/12 6:52 p.m.

Ok put the computer back together and plug the cord in and it still won't charge the battery or run off the AC jack. So the problem wasn't the motherboard.

I measured the AC jack and it puts out 19.5VDC which is what it is rated for. The computer was running off of the battery fine but died when the battery ran dry. The computer should but doesn't run with the battery removed and plugged into the AC jack.

This means my problem is either that the adapter is done and even though it is putting out the correct voltage the computers isn't recognizing the adapter. I actually had a few, "AC adapter not recognized" before the computer wouldn't recharge the battery. I read there is something call BIOS which controls how the hardware in the computer plays together so I'll research that.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I was really hoping if the computer was to die that it would just let out a bit of smoke and sound like a bowl of rice crispy cereal.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
7/18/12 7:12 p.m.

The BIOS is responsible for basically booting up the computer and most likely there is a small part of it that is trying to recognise the power supply, but that's not usually something you can tweak in the settings.

I would try to get another known good power supply and try that first, if it had "AC adapter not recognised" messages before, that would be the next thing to look at.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/18/12 9:54 p.m.

Not knowing your model, is your problem anything like these links:
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/repair-damaged-power-jack-toshiba-satellite-l305-l355-laptops/

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack-repair-guide/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjOVOLOW1Hc

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2T1XrPiZUa9IbOixmaFj1HRAeuuRoLmqDTYnhKK1t1vHHt7aN1umIIhdaCJrFoW6