Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
3/16/22 9:48 a.m.

I have a chassis drawing that I'd like to print at 1:1.  It's a B&W .jpg that is 60" x 384".  I assumed it would be easy to find a print service that can print a line drawing that wide since it's B&W and do it on plain white paper.  All I can find is companies that can do color car wraps or vinyl banners and it costs hundreds.  Am I searching for the wrong thing?  All I want is a rolled up piece of paper.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/16/22 9:53 a.m.

Find a old fashioned copy place. You might not get a 60" tall though. My office has a large plotter with rolls but maxes out at 40" rolls.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/16/22 9:57 a.m.

You might try Staples. I use them to print plans. If not them, a local printer may be able to handle it. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
3/16/22 10:02 a.m.

Yeah, 60" is wider than the cheaper b/w xerographic machines can make. It's a common width for shops with color ink machines though. They're going to charge color rates.

Two 30" wide prints from a b/w machine would be a lot cheaper. Just got to get comfortable with the seam in the middle of the finished product.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/22 10:12 a.m.

Yeah, 60" is a tough one.  Common wide format plotters/printers have a maximum roll of 36" wide.   30" is also a common roll width. Could you make two 30" x 384" prints work?

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
3/16/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

That's exactly what the local blueprint place said.  To do 60", it'll print on their color machine @$1.00 a square foot.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
3/16/22 10:20 a.m.

I'm installing a new drum as we type on an Oce Plotwave 900. Can you send me 2 files, top/bottom and I'll try to make you some "test prints".

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/22 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

So about $160?  Hate to say it, but knowing how much the paper costs (my company buys it by the pallet) and how much the ink for those plotters goes for, that price isn't unreasonable.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
3/16/22 1:22 p.m.

I once printed a one to one scale car  from a vinyl sign printer 

it was just an OK file size so not that detailed but you could clearly see what car it was to measure door size etc,

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/16/22 4:40 p.m.

Any sign company with a 60" plotter should be able to do that, replace the knife with a pen attachment and it will do line drawings. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YsGf2mB5whs9kWllSWRINFStuq7v76GSjUFD4iuOI7Xoia9f88o4XMu6X6oKgasn