bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
4/16/19 6:27 a.m.

My 01 Tacoma's radiator developed a leak a few weeks ago and was promptly replaced. It never pegged the temperature needle but did get hot.  Following the replacement, I would notice a drop of coolant every 3 seconds or so leaking from the block. Pulled the skid plates to get a better look and it is from the front of the engine near the water pump, but I cannot definitively say it is from the water pump. The Gates water pump on the vehicle is about four years old and has probably 80,000 on it. This morning I go out to check the coolant and after being shut down yesterday continued to leak at the rate of a drop every 15 seconds or so. Does a failing water pump continue to leak through the weep hole even when the vehicle isn't running? To really figure out where the leak is I'm going to have to tear the front of the engine apart and will probably replace the water pump and timing belt regardless.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
4/16/19 8:15 a.m.

i would think if the engine was hot and the cooling system pressurized it would still leak from the weep hole even with the engine off

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/16/19 10:53 a.m.

Often a water pump will leak faster shut off.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
4/16/19 10:58 a.m.

Why not pressure test it & see if you can see what's happening with acold engine.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
4/16/19 10:58 a.m.

Water pump for sure, guessing a 5VZ? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/16/19 11:24 a.m.

My money's on the water pump.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
4/16/19 12:20 p.m.

Roger that on the 5VZ. Guess I need to stock up on beer and set aside a Saturday.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
4/16/19 12:34 p.m.

In reply to bigbrainonbrad :

I had a brand new toyota pump leak out the weap hole out of the box. 

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
4/16/19 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Nice, I would be pissed!

The pump on there now is a Gates which prior to a few days ago I thought was only a couple years old, then I looked up my Amazon shipment history and realized it was from early 2014.  I put about 50 miles a day on the truck with my commute so the miles add up relatively quick.  Probably was going to go with Aisin this time around since I imagine they were the OE supplier.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eHq6ExfJDeXZQcbxfIhDTu88c4esWfe9wOymVS1hT8gwFg5JVdWEZKqXHXQf0myi