1 2
TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/16/20 9:37 p.m.
T.J. said:

Mine looks like this:

We have this one. Honestly i could easily live without it. I have been using a toaster over for most of my life for small stuff. This "air fryer" works MUCH faster than my toaster oven. Like you look away for 1 minute and your food has gone from "almost done" to charcoal.  My biggest gripe with that machine is that its a rather large thing, yet the "oven" portion is sign significantly smaller than my smaller toaster oven. 

now i cook everything i can on my blackstone griddle. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/16/20 10:59 p.m.
T.J. said:

Mine looks like this:

It is larger than any toaster oven I'm familiar with and does the same things plus it has convection cooking (aka air frying?) so I don't understand the 'get a toaster oven' comments. That would be a step backwards and I too would have to pull out my corn dog sticks before cooking. I guess I don't know what type of air fryers others are talking about. I guess I should watch the test kitchen video, but maybe I'll head to my kitchen make a few corndogs instead.

I have the exact same one. I concur with everything TJ said about it. It really nice to have but not a necessity. Great a reheating steak fries you bring home from a dinner out or frozen food. I made salmon with it. Used a dry spice rub and air fried it. Came out great. Air frying will cook more/faster/hotter than at the same temp of a standard oven. And the crispy crust is much closer to fried in oil than baked in a convection oven. Don't know why it just is. You have to get use to it but once you do things do come out better and faster. 

Ninga edit:  Fish and chips are fantastic in these things. Forgot I made that a while back using Bisquick and some spices for the batter on the fish

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/16/20 11:05 p.m.

We keep ours on the microwave as it takes up to much counter space.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/16/20 11:23 p.m.
T.J. said:

Ok, I ate a couple of corndogs and figured out what the other type of air fryer is. 

So are you going to share the recipe?  I love those things. laugh

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 6:54 a.m.
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/17/20 7:28 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

But can it make toast?  

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 8:22 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

It says it can....  I think when our microwave goes away, I'll get the combo unit to save counter space.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
6/17/20 8:55 p.m.

We now have 2. The first one was the basket style that is un-loved here. It works but definitely a learning curve with it. Don't forget to flip whatever you're cooking about 2/3 through timer. If overcooked it tends to dry out the meat. Doesn't do well simulating deep fry. Be sure to coat whatever you're cooking with oil or the batter/coating won't cook. You are cooking with heated blowing air.

The second one is also a toaster/convection oven. With that one make sure you have air circulation inside. In other words, don't use the solid shelf/pan as a drip pan. Only the mesh so air can circulate. If not you'll burn things. Daughter has caught food on fire inside it. Which is how we ended up with it. Cooks quicker than the basket style which took getting used to and was probably a factor in daughter catching things on fire inside. Makes crisp hash browns, corn dogs, chicken nuggets quicker that the oven.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/17/20 9:38 p.m.
wlkelley3 said:

. With that one make sure you have air circulation inside. In other words, don't use the solid shelf/pan as a drip pan. Only the mesh so air can circulate. 

Thanks, never thought of that and really just used it like a toaster oven , 

Need to find some mesh !

swintyulna
swintyulna New Reader
11/11/20 4:52 a.m.

I haven't known about these air fryers until last week when my friend mentioned it is a better choice for what I need. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v9XdQpcRoM9pJdUdhLRU4fpJWkFMkHMcsfq4vl5SrXYcRY9zu90wAmnMSzaj5Tdd