1 2
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/8/23 3:50 p.m.

So it's been about 3 1/2 months (it's both hard to believe it's been that long and also hard to believe we've only had her for that long...) since we got Wednesday, the (presumably, and probably pretty confidently) pit mix rescue who we adopted after we had (mostly) recovered from the loss of Marley, our 12-year-old Boxer/Pit shortly after the new year. Her bat-like ears were part of why the rescue named her Wednesday, but we tend to call her Baby Bat most of the time. Here she is (mostly) patiently waiting in hopes of The Dancer giving her some of her food:

As I said, we're pretty confident that she's at least a good bit American Pit Bull Terrier, but we've not got much of a real clue as to what else she is- our best best are French Bulldog and Staffy. So, we're interested in getting one of the DNA tests to determine just what she is- so I wanted to see what experiences anyone else had with them, especially if you got one of the ones that had the additional genetic health data and whether found it useful/worth the extra cost. Thanks!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/8/23 5:50 p.m.

No advice, but every time I see a picture, I'm reminded I need to stop down there sometime to meet her!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/8/23 5:50 p.m.

I have joked for a while that we should make a competition of people guessing WTF breeds went into making our mishappen fur goblin. Trouble is, we have a strong suspicion that he is part Carolina Dog, and they do not show up as a breed in DNA testing.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/8/23 7:02 p.m.

We recently did a DNA test on Obi-wan our newest. We were told he was a greyhound lurcher mix (lurchers are sight hounds breed with other non-sight hounds usually). My wife made it an Instagram challenge. Whoever guessed closest received a gift certificate to our store (HoundstoothVT). Results came back 55% Whippet, 37% Greyhound, 3% Polish Greyhound (had to look that up), 2% Irish Wolfhound, 2% Scottish Deerhound, 1% Borzoi. They told us essentially his parents were a whippet and a greyhound mix. Grandparents would have been two whippets on one side and a Greyhound and greyhound mix on the other. Seems reasonable. He's 60 lbs and acts like a 30 lb whippet.

He's the white dude in the foreground. He also goes by Scruffy McDougal. We only did the basic DNA check. We did not pay for any of the health upgrades. We used Wisdom Panel.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/8/23 7:36 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
6/8/23 7:48 p.m.

As far as I can tell, dog DNA testing is notoriously unreliable at best, and a scam at worst...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6763274

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/8/23 7:56 p.m.

We did a Wisdom Panel test on our MicroYeti and I refused to say anything about the breeds we were told he was and it came back exactly the same so I think it's at least somewhat accurate.

I'll get one for the new pup too

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/8/23 11:41 p.m.

My parents got one for their dog, and the results seemed pretty off. I got one for my dog, and it also seems pretty off. part of me wants to spend another 100$ on a different brand dna test just to see if they correlate, the other all of me can find something better to do with 100$. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/9/23 7:24 a.m.

Embark is the go-to in the English Shepherd community. Wisdom Panel doesn't recognize the breed, so their results will just call them mixes. Embark has breed lineage in their database.

I don't know enough about DNA science to know if carrying genes in percentage has anything to do with what you actually see before you. We had a test done on what we thought was some kind of ES or BC mix. Many personality traits of an ES in addition to a general appearance. Wisdom Panel said his predominant breed was Siberian Husky. I challenge you to find the husky in this dog (he's on the right; his son is on the left).

11110000 Reader
6/9/23 11:12 a.m.

We did one on our rescue, results were mostly as expected:

60% Pomeranian

40% Chihuahua

<1% Poodle  <--- this was not expected

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
6/9/23 2:17 p.m.

I have nothing nothing constructive to add here, but I am enjoying all the dog pictures.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/9/23 4:35 p.m.

After we lost Stella, a Chihuahua-Daschund mix, Trish moped around for three days and finally said "Screw it, I'm getting a dog!"  Fine.  She found a breeder on line, cut a deal and she's off.  Flew from Laguardia to Atlanta, drove an hour north, got a dog, drove back, flew home and was here for dinner.  (free via frequent flyer miles).

Winter looked like a chihuahua, - at first.  Our son was so curious he got us a DNA test from Wisdom Panel.   Rub a Q-Tip inside his mouth and you get back a pretty comprehensive 4 page report of history, DNA, relatives and genetic foibles (prone to X, Y or Z).

He's 19% Chihuahua, 19% American Terrier (Pit?) others less that 10% right down to 1% Collie.  not a damn word about Dalmation!  Where'd the dots come from?

New: 

Now:  (Well it was a kid's party)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/9/23 4:48 p.m.

Don't do it!  If your dog is ever involved in a crime, any DNA evidence found by prosecutors will likely result in his conviction.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/9/23 5:26 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Don't do it!  If your dog is ever involved in a crime, any DNA evidence found by prosecutors will likely result in his conviction.

We don't need a DNA test. We have the smell test...

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/9/23 7:42 p.m.

This is Cosmo, he's Maremma and Poodle

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/9/23 7:56 p.m.

Mine are a mix.

50% disapPointer 

50% upSetter 

6/10/23 9:53 p.m.

No DNA test here, but Finley is a Siberian/ Alaskan something and she sheds a lot.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/10/23 10:26 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

No DNA test here, but Finley is a Siberian/ Alaskan something and she sheds a lot.

She appears to be a very happy dog!

6/10/23 11:23 p.m.
Antihero said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

She appears to be a very happy dog!

We took her to a concert downtown tonight, then the patio at a dog friendly restaurant. She loved it.

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/12/23 11:25 a.m.

We talked with our vet about it and they also recommended Embark, so we ordered on of the kits to do both breed and health info- will be interesting to see what they come back with regarding what breed mix she is...

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/27/23 9:19 a.m.

We got an email that they got the swab yesterday- so hopefully it won't be too long before we have results!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/27/23 10:10 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

We got an email that they got the swab yesterday- so hopefully it won't be too long before we have results!

Ashyukun (Robert)
7/9/23 6:38 p.m.

Finally got the results back.  We were quite surprised that they didn't find she was part Frenchie or something else that has large ears like hers, but after some searching it seems that ears like hers aren't completely uncommon when people don't (for no reason other than aesthetics it seems) crop (I.e., cut off a large portion of...) their ears. 

One of the more interesting things that they came back with was a predicted adult weight of 58lbs- which given she's 52lbs now and shouldn't likely get much bigger looks like a pretty solid prediction. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
7/9/23 6:58 p.m.

Cute pup. Thanks for the follow-up. I was guessing the bloodline had some Boston terrier. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
7/9/23 7:23 p.m.

To quote Bill Nye " If you breed a Boxer dog and  Chihuahua dog you get a dog!"  :0)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oWIwpGE9vFbJBOMli1Idf7Oo4owlmKFtTxJlbDnMkBtDAgI4Cr5AbAVkq9uOGwMq