1 2
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/16/21 7:21 p.m.

Our Whirlpool glass-top stove/oven/range is on its way to the great cook-off in the sky.

Going to get its replacement this weekend.

What brands/models should I be looking at?

It will NOT be Whirlpool, I'll tell you that much.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/16/21 7:25 p.m.

I am pretty nonplussed with our dishwasher, but we have had pretty good use out of out Frigidaire induction stove. Only 3 years old, so far, though.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
9/16/21 7:26 p.m.

I've been happy with my Frigidaire.

I miss the big glass top 5 burner convection oven I had for a couple years, but the 4 burner cook top has been great the past 6 months or so I've owned it.

Turboeric
Turboeric Reader
9/16/21 8:13 p.m.

Not LG. Ours lasted all of 3 years before the control board failed. The repair cost as much as the range was worth.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/16/21 10:42 p.m.

I feel like every appliance brand is hit it miss on reliability these days. Just look for any highly reviewed/rated model on sale. Or LG has been great.

More importantly thank that though, if you care at all about your cooking, going induction (not just glass-top) is highly recommended upgrade... Even if you need to buy a new set of compatible pots/pans, it's worth it. Convection oven and 5 burners are nice too.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/16/21 11:05 p.m.

TBH, the ugly, crappy glass top Moffat range that came with our house when we bought it 10 years ago is still trucking along and it was an old stove then.

I saw the same crappy Moffat at the big orange store for $600 and if I needed a new range, I'd buy the same one again.

This thing:

There's no point in making my house really nice for the next person who lives in it. Whoever buys it will knock it flat and put up some ugly salmon pink monstrosity anyway.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/17/21 3:25 a.m.

I bought my last two major appliances (washing machine and Induction cook top) from the website AJ Madison. The saving was significant. I seem to remember that much of the savings was that the website didn't charge me sales tax. Avoiding 7% on a nearly $1k purchase is notable. 

Delivery times were quick (pre covid purchases.)  The cook top was a FedEx type delivery but the washing machine was brought by two guys who moved the old machine to the garage and hooked up the new in the laundry room. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
9/17/21 6:52 a.m.

I just bought a Samsung dishwasher to replace our literally-caught-on-fire GE.  I've been eyeing replacing all if our kitchen appliances with Samsung models.  One that catches my eye is a glass top 5 burner that also has a built in air fryer.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-6-3-cu-ft-Smart-Freestanding-Electric-Range-with-No-Preheat-Air-Fry-and-Convection-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel/5001782971

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/17/21 8:24 a.m.

I want to keep an eye on this thread.  Been considering a basic glass top stove for a while, but our 43 year old GE has chugged along nicely, and only needed a oven heater element replaced once in the 20 years I've owned the house.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/17/21 9:15 a.m.

I have to say, the super cheap GE electric range that came with my house is much easier to cook with than the crazy expensive Bosch electric range that was in one of the fancy apartments I used to live in. 

I know that's not super helpful. But it might save you some money and headache. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/17/21 9:32 a.m.

Missed the Off-Topic category and came in expecting a discussion of EV daily life.

Our Samsung is gas with electric oven, and we love the way it all works and neat features (we actually use the split-level separatable oven/broiler thing and warming drawer A LOT), but at this point we're pretty twitchy about their reliability. The fridge stopped dispensing ice inside of two years and it was a fiasco to get looked at, though they did end up refunding a majority of the purchase. The oven hasn't hiccupped, but I sometimes feel like the door's going to do something funny in its wacky door-within-a-door mechanism...

If I weren't doing gas, I'd be all over induction, and might do that next time even though we have gas. We picked up a standalone induction plate, and it's neat.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/17/21 11:21 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

...and might do that next time even though we have gas.

The house had an older gas range when we bought it. Since getting our induction range, I have zero regrets and can't think of anything I miss about it. It cooks awesome, cleans easy (even while still actively cooking), allows for more usable counter space, doesn't exhaust prodigious amounts of excess heat into the house, and doesn't pollute the interior air of the house... For somebody that cooks regularly, has a small kitchen, does not have air conditioning, and only has a recirculating overhead fan available, that all adds up to a VERY useful package.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/17/21 11:39 a.m.

I've got a kitchen remodel coming up on the house pile and my plan for a new oven is to get an old school coil-burner electric.  There's been some change with those where the factory fit electric coils need to "be safer" so there will be a swap to aftermarket coils that lack safety and act like they did for the last 100 years.  In any case, I know they look cheaper and are more basic than the glass tops but I don't worry about scratching the top or shattering it and replacing a coil is easy.  I'm also not that hung up on features.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/17/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Add me to the list of long time gas user who will now never leave Induction. 

When we bought our house, 10 years ago it came with an induction cook top (from 1994.)

Two or three years ago, I replaced it with another. A Fridgidare model from AJ Madison for under $600 (which isn't much more than a glass coil version.) 

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
9/17/21 12:55 p.m.

I've got a Frigidaire induction range that will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.  Bottom of the model range, looks exactly like any other similarly priced electric of theirs but it friggin RIPS.  The oven is always within 3-4° of what the control panel shows, so no worries on that side either.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
9/17/21 12:56 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Looks like we are on the same Range team here...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/17/21 1:36 p.m.

sobe:  Looks like about $1200 at the big box stores for the cheapest Frigidaire induction top range?  That about what you paid?  

I have some emotional distress over paying over a grand for a stove.  I'm probably too cheap, or maybe just cheap enough.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/17/21 1:42 p.m.

Our Samsung range burst into flames one evening when I happened to be in the kitchen but not at the stove (which was off). Heard a click, then that distinctive little "wumph" of ignition, turned around and then did the Sims fire dance for several seconds because it was so unexpected. Circuit board fried big time, actual flames the result. Samsung bad, electronics bad, fire bad, basic good.

Margie

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/17/21 3:02 p.m.
ShawnG said:

TBH, the ugly, crappy glass top Moffat range that came with our house when we bought it 10 years ago is still trucking along and it was an old stove then.

I saw the same crappy Moffat at the big orange store for $600 and if I needed a new range, I'd buy the same one again.

This thing:

There's no point in making my house really nice for the next person who lives in it. Whoever buys it will knock it flat and put up some ugly salmon pink monstrosity anyway.

My house came with the same thing in black and a different "brand name" slapped on it. I want to say it's from ~2010 and it has its quirks. In order for the oven to reach the temperature you want (say 400° F you set it to 460°)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/17/21 3:15 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Our Samsung range burst into flames one evening when I happened to be in the kitchen but not at the stove (which was off). Heard a click, then that distinctive little "wumph" of ignition, turned around and then did the Sims fire dance for several seconds because it was so unexpected. Circuit board fried big time, actual flames the result. Samsung bad, electronics bad, fire bad, basic good.

Margie

Holy crap, that's insane!

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/17/21 3:46 p.m.

Having had to replace all the high end GE (not my choice) appliances at 8years old I have decided all the modern stuff is designed to break in 7-10 years.  I now buy scratch and dent middle of the road stuff.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/17/21 4:21 p.m.

^^this right there is the ticket.^^ And every time I get the big idea that I'm a magazine magnate and deserve all shiny perfect new and DON'T buy scratch and dent, I get things like fire. Kids, don't get cocky.

Margie

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/17/21 6:08 p.m.

My 20 year old super basic Frigadaire works great. Granted it has very low use.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/18/21 12:49 a.m.

I'm sensing a lot of smiles for the Frigidaire.

I had made arrangements to pick up a Frigidaire induction cooktop this weekend, but then I had a thought: My wife has a pacemaker; is an induction cooktop wise? Turns out she needs to be minimum 2 feet away from the stove. That's not practical.

So, I'll likely order a lesser Frigidaire, but I'm keen on that brand from your comments here as well as searching reviews.

Pretty much everyone here is at least a month wait for shipping.  Hmmm....

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
9/20/21 1:03 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

sobe:  Looks like about $1200 at the big box stores for the cheapest Frigidaire induction top range?  That about what you paid?  

I have some emotional distress over paying over a grand for a stove.  I'm probably too cheap, or maybe just cheap enough.

I think I paid right at $800 delivered from Worst Buy.  It was either open-box or a holiday sale, can't remember.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ljfR2VqZct3T3VRYGfrfAP3YXXF6MkifxZUWXVsq3ut5VefGCOPLqXCKs7pIhR8H