Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/4/20 1:19 p.m.

Current setup is an old 720p tv. I can notice the lag during online gaming such as rocket league. And I'd like to reap the benefits of at 1080p graphics (2k or 4K is a bonus). 

the main question is what to buy. Amazon misleads A LOT. So I can't trust 2,000 reviews, because at least half are fake reviews. I would also like to keep at 27", and under 350$. Is this possible? 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
11/4/20 1:34 p.m.

My son has a nice Samsung curved monitor that looks great. 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/4/20 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

But is it 144 Hz?

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
11/4/20 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

yes it is

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
11/4/20 1:39 p.m.

One thing to remember is that most new/high end monitors do not have speakers

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/4/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

Yeah that's not a problem. I have external speakers anyway, and a really nice gaming headset.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/4/20 2:10 p.m.

Not a canoe - I tend to look on Slickdeals and set alerts for the electronics.. I go there for the low prices, but appreciate the feedback in the threads even more than the low prices. People who post in the thread usually share specs (and explain what they actually mean), which is a big help.

For gaming, I think some of the key things are resolution, refresh rate, and depending on your setup, the mounting options may be important.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/4/20 2:12 p.m.

34", not 27" but I picked up this (I think, the features/specs match) for about your target price on either Prime day or Black friday last year:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1335260?gclid=CjwKCAiAv4n9BRA9EiwA30WNDyd9SNdwJzy0UOoZboxv7usCxLBvsJkUcYmLK8C9HMJdXeLPM9rEyBoCgcAQAvD_BwE

The next step down in their line is 25" IIRC.

I thought 4k was a decade away from being useful in games, but then the 3080/3090 were released.  Probably going to upgrade the monitor soon I imagine.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
11/4/20 2:14 p.m.

I have this one and absolutely love it. It's very well-reviewed online by the pros and the feedback on Reddit was very good too.

LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YGZL8XF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5SWOFbCA7Q0R2

Pro review: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl83a-b

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/4/20 2:38 p.m.
  • We need more info here. 
    • What video card are you running. 
    • Do you want or need HDR
    • Sounds like you want very low latency

I would suggest a 24 or 25 inch monitor with a true 240htz refresh rate and 1ms response time for gaming. The bigger ones like my 34 inch ultra wide are fantastic but you are looking at 2K give or take for one with the above specs. You also need at minimum a 1060 6gb to drive it even on e sports titles like rocket league. 

Best monitor for your spec then would be a PG258Q or something similar. IF you want MAX game performance. This is the go to moniter for e sports for a reason it is fantastic. Sold out a lot of the time but pretty much perfect. 

Something cheaper and a bit bigger but less color accuracy would be 27GN750-B which a lot of people like. 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/4/20 2:41 p.m.

Gpu is gtx1050 with amd r3 1200 (might upgrade that soon) 

not sure if *need* hdr, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I'm not creating content, Just some casual online gaming, and YouTube watching

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/4/20 2:52 p.m.

Word of caution on HDR, 144, etc.

My monitor is HDR & 144Hz.  But they are mutually exclusive - you can only use one at a time.  So I have never used HDR.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/4/20 2:53 p.m.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/4/20 2:55 p.m.

That was posted a few posts up.

IMO:  once you go 21:9, you'll never look back

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/4/20 3:00 p.m.
Vajingo said:

Gpu is gtx1050 with amd r3 1200 (might upgrade that soon) 

not sure if *need* hdr, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I'm not creating content, Just some casual online gaming, and YouTube watching

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-27GN750-B-Compatibility-Adjustable/dp/B0841787BZ

HDR is not gong to be around at the sub 400 price point from anything reliable or in your gamaing specs. 

This is the the one you want. That card will not drive 2 or 4k resolution and anything acceptable. This is also available under 350$ pretty frequently. 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/4/20 4:36 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Thanks folks. Well that settles that for me!

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
2/3/21 9:20 a.m.

Is there a visual benefit for a curved monitor for racing games? does it extend the width or just make the current frame fatter?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/3/21 9:36 a.m.

Wide monitors have extra resolution, so no, they are not just stretching a regular monitor.  Obviously a curved monitor would only be useful for a very wide monitor.  I don't know if it helps a lot with driving games, but it can't hurt. You will get a better, natural, forward field of view.   
PC games seem to be very flexible in monitor resolution/ setup.  I am not sure how consoles deal with ultra wides though (maybe the latest gen do?)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/3/21 9:38 a.m.

Do you mean ultra-wide?  For 95% of modern games, it renders wider area and results in a larger FOV.  Some games just render the current frame fatter though :(

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
3/1/22 6:20 a.m.

I am no expert in this field, at all, but two of my chirren have spent their own money on two of these each: 

They seem to be fairly content with them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/1/22 8:56 a.m.

Re the wide monitors - yes, at least in iRacing it opens up the field of view quite noticeably, but it also requires a fair amount more graphics card oomph due to the much higher resolution.

I've run iRacing on my 34" Dell Ultrawide and the additional width helps, but overall I do prefer my sim rig that has a simple currently 40" full HD TV attached to it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/18/22 12:12 p.m.

A little late, but for my iRacing rig I use 3-32" Samsung G5's. Curved, 1440p, 144hz. I have a nearly 180 FOV with how I have it setup. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/18/22 2:53 p.m.

I have one of these and really like it. Would strongly recommend. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HGTZC9J/?coliid=IFJ4WGNIIW6JN&colid=3GN7V7K62UN0L&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VfLSrOwsALlSRIxTwvDugg601Vs6L3dX1ku01DoWAskMDy7ao971fqC9I1s7H4nx