tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/31/23 3:51 p.m.

I'll be in Green Bay from April 18-20. Likely only working during the day. On my dime, which is to say not much, what can I do while I am there? Where must I eat and what must I check out?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/31/23 4:46 p.m.

Stadium? Even at 9pm it's lit up outside.  

Last time I drove down to water and walked trails.  

nocones
nocones PowerDork
3/31/23 5:29 p.m.

Food: DePere Wi (about 5 minutes south of Green Bay) is a restaurant called Pasquale's.   It was one of my favorites when I lived in the area.  

Krolls west by the stadium was a good "Wisconsin Bar Food" type place right in stadium area.

Glass nickel Pizza was our favorite pizza place.

Mackinaw's Grille and spirits is a "lodge" restaurant that is probably worth a visit.  

Unless it's changed Mexican food in Wisconsin is disappointing at best.  We never found a place that was beyond decent.  

Hinterland brewery is popular but I wasn't a big fan.  

There are many others and I'm sure other people can give you more up to date information.   But the fact that those restaurants are still well reviewed 10 years after I lived there is a good sign.  

Stuff to do:. The stadium is neat in a man this is a pro stadium in a 100k population town sort of thing.  If your a Packers fan it's amazing but otherwise it's just a generic modern stadium entertainment center.   

There is a plaque at Riverside ballroom about Buddy Holly's last concert that is free and worth a quick stop.  

I'm not sure it will be open but if it is you can ride the Zippin Pippen for like $1 a lap at bay beach which is neat.   

There is a pretty cool wildlife sanctuary also at bay beach.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/23 5:44 p.m.

Late April. To you it will still be winter there. Dress appropriately.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/31/23 6:50 p.m.

Ask around with the people you're working with, figure out if any of them have boat and want excuses to head out. Walleye bit should be pretty hot around then. Brown trout too. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
4/1/23 10:55 a.m.

My condolences.  Green Bay sucks.  

TBH just stay in the hotel room and get some extra work done so you can have some fun in a better town later. 

If you really want to do something the National Railroad Museum is worth the price of admission.  Or head to Appleton, WI and hit up my buddy's brewery, Appleton Beer Factory.  They have live music most nights, slammin beer and food.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/1/23 11:08 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

LOL - stay in room

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/3/23 9:43 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

My condolences.  Green Bay sucks.  

TBH just stay in the hotel room and get some extra work done so you can have some fun in a better town later. 

If you really want to do something the National Railroad Museum is worth the price of admission.  Or head to Appleton, WI and hit up my buddy's brewery, Appleton Beer Factory.  They have live music most nights, slammin beer and food.

The beer factory thing sounds neat. I'll bet I can uber there and expense it as dinner.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/3/23 12:23 p.m.

A'Bravo Bistro & Wine bar. My wife and I always get the spaghetti squash and meatballs there. Can't really go wrong with the rest of the menu.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/3/23 12:38 p.m.

Try not to get overwhelmed by the scale of the airport...

First time I went there I thought it would look like most major cities that have an NFL team. I should have put more of a Buffalo image in my head. 
Buy a cheesehead though, always a good conversation starter.l :-)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/3/23 2:08 p.m.

https://theautomobilegallery.org/

https://nationalrrmuseum.org/

https://stillmankbrewing.com/

Just west of Lambeau is a big game day complex. Something to see if you're at the Stadium.

Green Bay just your typical 100k population city with another 150k around it. So dont expect any skyline.

https://downtowngreenbay.com/go/citydeck

The city deck is a nice place to walk and there are a handful of places on or near it to grab food or drinks.

Both sides of the Fox River near the city deck will give you the most "downtown" feel. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
4/3/23 2:34 p.m.

If you have a rental car, drive up into Door County (the thumb of the mitten that is the Wisconsin map).  It's very picturesque and has a bunch of great choices for food and or cocktails.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/3/23 3:09 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:

If you have a rental car, drive up into Door County (the thumb of the mitten that is the Wisconsin map).  It's very picturesque and has a bunch of great choices for food and or cocktails.  

And it won't be overrun with tourists* yet.

*Also known as FISH, FIBs, FISHTABs, and FIBTABs.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
4/3/23 3:48 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I gotta know what those stand for.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/3/23 5:28 p.m.
Puddy46 said:

In reply to mtn :

I gotta know what those stand for.  

berkeleying Illinois E36 M3 Heads/Bastards. Optionally, TAB - Towing a Boat. Folks like me.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/3/23 5:52 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:

Totally agree with DC - during off season and midweek; check if places are open. 

I'll say it - if you haven't been; find a Wisconsin Supper Club.  Get a steak or pork chops. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/3/23 6:56 p.m.

Well if we are driving I always recommend the maritime museum in Manitowac. Maybe an hour or so south. That's a really nice museum 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/3/23 8:44 p.m.

I would grab dinner at a steak house, two glasses of red wine and an Ambien for the most relaxing sleep away from family routine, and wake up raring to go on the job. Feel free to substitute  Demon Haze IPA for red wine. Work travel is stressful and when handed a lemon, I like a good lemon drop martini.

In all my travels around the planet, I always found the local attractions to be underwhelming.  What I always enjoyed was if I could have some after-work social engagement with the people that I was visiting there to work with. The big wall in China is boring 5 minutes after you pay for admission; having a meal and discussing China vs USA life with the client can be illuminating. 

Or the Stadium. Seems to be the Trip Advisor go-to answer.

Pete

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
4/3/23 8:45 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Ok, that's one I gotta remember.

We have 'mup ears' in my neck of the woods.  Because they came mup 'ere for the weekend.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fZkwJtuWu21MDA4fDGBpmIRClbpFJpjsvibWQoXKpXJguKMK2Ay4rRUHBKv1z2pA