1 2 3
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/17/19 12:08 p.m.

New job, no more jeans. yadda yadda

I go get a stitchfix, everything was pretty great. A few weeks later, they rip. Stitchfix refunded me.

I discover Bonobos, buy some pants, they rip and stain (weird stain, it's like color is missing, rather than color has been added from something), they refund me. 

I buy another pair, they rip in a different way. They refund me.

I buy another pair, they stain in that same lack of color weirdness. It's like someone spilled "lack of color" in my lap. 

What is going on? How do I buy pants that are nice looking, fit well, and also not ruin them within a few weeks?

Also, hear hear for Bonobos, they refund like crazy with no issues.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/17/19 12:16 p.m.

I buy LL Bean Chinos. Reasonably priced. Fit me well. I usually get about 4 or 5 years out of a pair, although this might improve since I've stopped wearing my wallet in my back pocket.  I have at least one pair in every color.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
12/17/19 12:18 p.m.

Dickies for real work, Dockers khaki or gray denim for desk work.

Remind me, what do you do for a living?

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/17/19 12:20 p.m.

Are these business casual pants?

If business casual, Kohl's is pretty decent. Dickie's even sells more "durable" slacks these days.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/17/19 12:22 p.m.

Wrangler cargo khakis every day for work for the last 3 years. Havent ripped a set yet. Durable, stain resistant, 19 bucks a pair, comfortable, and enough pockets for my leatherman, flashlight and spare mag.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/17/19 12:23 p.m.

Business casual, but I err on the dressier side of that. I have found that the typical cargo pants don't fit well.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/17/19 12:25 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

Engineer. I sit at a desk, but I have a stationary bike as my chair, and I spend a fair bit of time in the hydro lab, though it's supposed to be just water. I do get really wet occasionally.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/17/19 12:28 p.m.
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/17/19 12:28 p.m.

I’m only 5 foot nine and 170 pounds, which is pretty average. But years of mountain biking have given me a decent set of glutes and quads to the point where I absolutely have to go in and try things on. I’ve had great success at JCPenney and Kohl’s.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
12/17/19 12:33 p.m.

Dickies or Red Kap for stuff that holds up decent, you can also look at Duluth Trading Company but most of their stuff is a little more geared toward work, but it is good for the huskier gentleman - not trying to imply anything, don't know your size.

My only pair of khackis is made by Volcom, and they have been awesome.  Athletic fit, good color, good stain resistance, no stupid pockets and not stretchy.  Very good.  I wear them 2-3 days a year and thats plenty.

When I had to wear bis-cas and do real work (looking at you, previous employer) I just bought dress pants at goodwill or salvation army or TJ Maxx since IDGAF and they would sometimes be wrecked the first day due to tears or sparks/burns.

If your employer has a linen service for shop employees a lot of those places do offer uniforms for salaried bis-cas employees as well.  They were just rolling it out at the foundry I used to work at when I left, and John Deere had some folks who took advantage of it.  Not always the snazziest stuff but it takes all the guesswork out of it and no worries on durability.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/17/19 12:36 p.m.

I'm not an overly dressy person.  Dressed up for me can mean a quality golf shirt and slacks.  

I highly recommend the Izod Golf Slacks at Kohls.  Made to be "not hot" which might be good in your southern climate.  Made to be non-absorbent which is good if you do get a little wet.  Mostly polyester but not overly plasticy.  The fabric is soft.  Probably durable (but I'm not that hard on them.)  

If golf shirt and dress pants are an acceptable combo then I would load up at someplace like Kohls.  Stein Mart is good too for golf apparel.  I'm not a golfer but it is a accepted business look.  

Sample look:

Get some pants in basic colors, black, gray, tan.  Get shirts that match all the pants and have an easy wardrobe that is very mix/match.  

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
12/17/19 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

I did not have good luck with Duluth (they even opened one in W Chester OH near my work).  Two pairs of jeans, two pairs with holes after 1.5 yrs.  Their "No Bull Refund Guarantee" sure was a lot of bull...  Wanted to discount the cost to what they charge now, like depreciation in a pair of berkeleying jeans, really?  Weren't going to at all but did it "as a courtesy" because it was over a year (but not specified in their guarantee).

I emailed the contact on the website, got a full refund through that.  Screw them.  But my friend loves them so YMMV.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
12/17/19 12:45 p.m.

I really like Kuhl pants. The relaxed fit work with my thighs and calves.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/17/19 12:51 p.m.

We do business casual here.

I've had good luck with Lands End khakis, which you can buy in extended size ranges if necessary, and they hem to order.  Absolutely do NOT pay full price for them; wait for a sale, which happens regularly.

I also have had surprisingly good luck with Old Navy Ultimate Slim khakis.  I like a fairly tapered leg and these fit me pretty well since I have a big waist but not terribly fat legs.  They're pretty reasonably priced and last decently.

I have had personal hygiene products remove color like that.  If you apply anything, take a look at the product and maybe switch to something else.  I've also had color-fade reactions from various laundry soaps.

Whatever you get, make sure it's at least 95% cotton.  Polyester is Satan's fabric.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/17/19 12:53 p.m.

I get my pants at Costco. They used to have Greg Norman Travel pants, which I should have loaded up on. But you can still get them elsewhere: https://www.amazon.com/Greg-Norman-Ultimate-Travel-Pants/dp/B082RGRG71?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1. These are excellent, cool in the summer and I'm not a person who gets cold so they last me through winter too. Stretchy, which if you have hockey player glutes is important. I've worn them to fancy weddings at ritzy country clubs, I've worn them on the production floor at work, I've worn them golfing. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/17/19 12:55 p.m.
Duke said:

Whatever you get, make sure it's at least 95% cotton.  Polyester is Satan's fabric.

Disagree. I know why you'd say that, but I disagree. I try to avoid cotton in preference of wool, polyester, or a blend. Unless it is a shirt or a duck-cotton material, I don't like cotton clothes.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
12/17/19 12:56 p.m.

Haggar Clothing co, preferably in your nearest outlet mall for the extra percentage off.

The Work-To-Weekend pants have held up pretty well for me and they're comfortable even with my thick thighs and calves. They come in a bunch of different styles (classic fit, flat front here) and they're also fairly inexpensive comparatively.

It's about time to replace them again after 3 years.

Shirts - Nautica polos or GTFO.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/17/19 1:00 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Good wool is fine, though I only have a pair or two of wool pants because I don't normally dress that formally.  Most of my sport jackets are wool except one cotton one for summer.  My one and only suit is wool.

I'll even tolerate a few percentage points of spandex for flex.  But polyester just feels nasty to me, even if it less than half the blend.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/17/19 1:05 p.m.

I have one pair of dress pants, they are dickies and they are perfect

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/17/19 1:06 p.m.
Duke said:

Quoted for truth. 

This time of year, consider searching for and buying a nice pair of 100% wool slacks.  They look great and last forever.  But dry clean only.

Khakis and the like I've had good luck with LL Bean and Lee.  Dockers are easier to find, but I've never been impressed with a pair of Dockers.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/17/19 1:08 p.m.

LL Bean is a good one, especially when they used to have their 100% satisfaction guarantee.  I used to buy their pants and shirts, wear them out.. then return them for a full refund..  (price usally went up $10 in that time frame).. then I got new shirts and pants..  They no longer have that 

now I'm going to try Lands End.  They still have their 100% satisfaction guarantee.  Buy pants.. wear them out.. then get a good chunk back for buying new pants.

https://www.landsend.com/shop/mens-pants-bottoms/S-xff-xez-y5b-xh5-xec?cm_re=lec-_-mns-_-global-_-glbnv-pants-_-20160316-_-txt

My other go to for pants is Nordstrom Rack.  They sell $100 pants for $25.  I buy them.. wear them for 2-3 years and then buy more.  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/17/19 1:12 p.m.
tuna55 said:

A few weeks later, they rip...
they rip and stain... 
they rip in a different way...
they stain in that same lack of color weirdness...

What is going on?

Does your spouse do your laundry?  How passive aggressive is she?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/17/19 1:18 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

I do it. All free & clear 100% of the time with cold water.

She's not passive aggressive, she's regular aggressive.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/17/19 1:19 p.m.

Dickies are the way for me.  Pretty durable and kakhi goes with any shirt color.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 UltraDork
12/17/19 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

Those Duluth Trading ones look nice. I may have to swing by the store next time I'm near there. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PE2YhmfVViyljos5d5w7yob0YKDesmQZtjM2DcS9dvWoAXqkeXmeXDNPPbi7hTR6