1 2 3 4
logdog
logdog UltraDork
12/17/19 6:48 p.m.
Furious_E said:

Another vote for Duluth here. They make a style of the fire hose pants called Foreman's or something to that effect which implies a bit more formality. They look dressy enough and still hold up to doing real work, which suits my role perfectly. Also, the crotch gusset was a game changer for me, since blowing the crotch out is by far the most common failure mode on my pants (I blame slim fit and driving low cars for this.)  Pricey, but in my experience worth it. Watch for 30% off sales, especially this time of year. 

Im also a big Duluth fan.  Im wearing some of the Foreman pants right now (in sexy charcoal gray)!  The crotch gusset really is a game changer.  But you are right, you gotta get them on sale.  They are really proud of them at retail....

PANTS!!!!!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/17/19 7:00 p.m.

Find a real men's store in your area.  They usually sell quality clothing and have people working there that know their stuff.

TheGloriousW
TheGloriousW New Reader
12/17/19 8:42 p.m.

I also need to do my yearly pants renewing. Unfortunately, I have to go try on 100% of what I buy. I have even had different colors of the same pant not fit.

gunner
gunner HalfDork
12/18/19 7:36 a.m.

After wearing pants nearly my whole life, I came to the conclusion that Eddie Bauer guide pro pants are the only pants I will wear. Available in 11 colors, I bought 8 pair so I can wear them every single day. https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951063/men's-guide-pro-pants?sp=1&color=Lt%20Khaki&size=

The only things that might be an issue is they all have a somewhat prominent symbol on the left thigh and they do have pockets on the thighs like regular cargo pants but if you don't use them they are virtually unnoticeable(like they aren't even there) they dont bulge out if you do use them anyway. They regularly go on sale for up to half off so don't pay full retail for them. I had to work a forklift outside in a light ice storm yesterday morning, granted I was wearing long underwear for warmth, but my legs stayed dry because of these awesome pants. Not only that they are the most comfortable pants I've ever owned and the only ones I buy.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/18/19 8:00 a.m.

In reply to gunner :

Those look pretty close to perfect other than that symbol.

They even have my size, 33/34, which nobody has.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
12/18/19 8:31 a.m.

In what version of hell can you not wear jeans?

I lift a decent amount and run frequently, so finding pants that fit my thighs without being balloons is a bit tough. That being said I have had good luck with the regular GAP chinos for the more casual wear. For dress slacks I found a brand at Kohls that have a tiny bit of stretch that makes all the differnece in fit.. had to figure it out Van Heusen Air link https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2950453/Men-s-Van-Heusen-Air-Straight-Fit-Flex-Dress-Pants.jsp?pfm=bdrecs-WebStore-PDP-Horizontal1-b1156-231&bdrecsId=1d4d8259-9c50-4264-9940-d126b5160ac6 

Past that I have a suit I only wear when there are other suits like visiting a big OEM or heading to Asia (why does Japan still all wear suits, it's unbearable...)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/18/19 8:50 a.m.

RE: Jeans,

I was surprised, too, at the dress code here. Whatever, if they want to pay me what they are, I'll wear pants instead.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/18/19 8:52 a.m.
tuna55 said:

I was surprised, too, at the dress code here. Whatever, if they want to pay me what they are, I'll wear pants instead.

Am I the only guy that prefers khaki's/slacks/pants over jeans?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/18/19 8:55 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Pants feel nicer, but jeans don't ever seem to stain or tear in normal usage. I am more comfortable wearing them, if that makes sense.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
12/18/19 8:55 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Nope.. I wear Dickies every day.. I don't own jeans anymore..

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
12/18/19 9:07 a.m.

I'm a clothes whore, so I'll chime in.

I have some Duluth fire hose pants.  I forget what version they're called... not the dressy pants, but more tactical/cargo/carpenter.  Lots of pockets.  I get mine in black because theater.  The black has faded significantly in just a handful of washes.  They're still black, and they're fine for the utility of crawling around under the stage, but I wouldn't buy the chino/khaki/casual version to look nice.  Strong suggestion to upgrade to the flex fabric.

I have some 5-11 tactical in stretch as well.  They are like wearing a trash bag.  I don't get it.  I have washed so many times and it feels like they've been coated with wax and the sweat literally drips down my legs.  Wear like iron though.

For casual/khaki type pants, I have one pair of Wrangler that I like.  It's basically their jeans pattern but with a cotton/duck fabric.  Not a nice, dressy, flattering cut, but comfy and wear well.  Looks more like I'm going to the barn than the garage.

For dress casual, hands down, Haggar has a line of flat-front dress slacks (yes it has poly in it, but not satanic levels) that make me look like a runway model.  Kohls has them for cheap.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/18/19 9:12 a.m.
Curtis said:

For dress casual, hands down, Haggar has a line of flat-front dress slacks (yes it has poly in it, but not satanic levels) that make me look like a runway model. 

Pics or it's fake news!

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/18/19 9:20 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

No, I don't even own a pair of jeans.  

I like Dockers, they hold up well I haven't had them fade or stain.  I avoid light colors as any time I wore khakis I ended up get them greasy. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/18/19 9:29 a.m.

Pants.

Yes, wear them.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/18/19 10:48 a.m.

No!  Down with pants!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/18/19 11:44 a.m.

Kilts!

TheGloriousW
TheGloriousW New Reader
12/18/19 12:28 p.m.
mtn said:
tuna55 said:

Nope. I haven't worn jeans in a few years.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
12/18/19 3:47 p.m.
mtn said:
tuna55 said:

Hopefully otherwise my worldview is going to E36 M3. Also I dont find it acceptable to wear sports pants of any kind unless a workout is part of the outing. In that case you should be wearing shorts anyway. Ok, it may be just me. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/18/19 10:59 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:

Whatever you get, make sure it's at least 95% cotton.  Polyester is Satan's fabric.

Disagree. I know why you'd say that, but I disagree. I try to avoid cotton in preference of wool, polyester, or a blend. Unless it is a shirt or a duck-cotton material, I don't like cotton clothes.

Probably not what your are thinking, but polyester will not decompose.  Cotton will.

I buy cotton if I can.

tester
tester Reader
12/19/19 5:02 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I have had good luck with Savane khakis and Saddlebred polos. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/19/19 6:14 a.m.
mtn said:
tuna55 said:

No. Jeans are pretty uncomfortable. Doubly true down here in the summer. I haven't owned a pair of Jeans in 15-20 years. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/19/19 1:48 p.m.

I know what the stains are now. The 3D printer uses dissolvable supports, and the debinding fluid is doing the nasty stuff to my clothes. I had a print on the lathe just now, and it sprayed me, and now I have a stay of no-color on my shirt. Nice.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/19/19 2:16 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I know what the stains are now. The 3D printer uses dissolvable supports, and the debinding fluid is doing the nasty stuff to my clothes. I had a print on the lathe just now, and it sprayed me, and now I have a stay of no-color on my shirt. Nice.

Just wear white.  Problem solved!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/19/19 2:17 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Why Tuna, why are you wearing a white shirt, white pants, a white belt and white shoes?

Because I don't want to get any more stains.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/19/19 3:38 p.m.
tuna55 said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Why Tuna, why are you wearing a white shirt, white pants, a white belt and white shoes?

Because I don't want to get any more stains.

Look professional (and dressed in white) while staying clean....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7gQ6GdZm6pxaTeztAut3gFbwvFV7QZ2n9oEBvKBEMCQVGilk0cWCZSkHBDLOdkvC