yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 11:32 a.m.

Like the title says, I am wanting to preorder a xbox one game from the UK since it won't be released in the US for an undetermined amount of time. Anyone have any experience with this?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/24/15 11:35 a.m.

Do they still do region based games? If so, it may not play on a US Xbox.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 11:47 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

No, regional specific games started phasing out during the xbox360 life cycle. My copy of Call of Duty World at War is a UK version that was given to me as a gift. The xbox one console and all games are open as far as region goes.

FWIW, this whole thread is for the heir apparent to "Tourist Trophy" called "Ride" done by Milestone studios. They haven't bothered answering any of us about a US release date, while Gamestop doesn't have it in their system, Best Buy claims April 7th, and amazonUS claims May 31st

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
2/24/15 12:36 p.m.

I occasionally buy from Amazon UK and Amazon Germany, it's usually just a matter of logging in with your US Amazon account and pay for stuff.

That's usually also when you find out just how much shipping from Europe costs...

Sometimes there are restrictions on certain goods so they may or may not be able to ship to the US, but they'll normally tell you.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 1:43 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

24 euros for 2-4day international shipping sound correct? And even with shipping, its only like $102 dollars for 2 copies of the game.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
2/24/15 1:57 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Are you sure it's quoting you in Euros and not GBP? Even 24 pounds for 2-4 day international shipping doesn't sound too far off as they're most likely sending it insured and with tracking.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 2:41 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Its very possible, I didn't pay that close of attention and I forgot that the UK didn't accept the Euro as currency. Revised for GBP it is $140.07 USD which seems to make much more sense.

codrus
codrus Dork
2/24/15 3:25 p.m.

I've bought a number of books from Amazon.co.uk, shipping them to the US. The shipping is usually not all that bad, assuming you're willing to wait a week or so for it to arrive. Amazon does the currency conversion when you buy with a US credit card, and you get a much better rate on it than if you had Visa/etc do the conversion. All in all, it has worked out well.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 3:49 p.m.

In reply to codrus:

If what the website tells me, they also include and prepay your import duties for you.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
2/24/15 5:40 p.m.

Easiest learn me ever!

Go to Amazon.uk (or .jp or whatever!), find your item, pays your money. The only other catch aside from importation restrictions (doubtful on your end) might be a foreign transaction fee.

codrus
codrus Dork
2/24/15 6:22 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to codrus: If what the website tells me, they also include and prepay your import duties for you.

Makes sense. There were no such line items on the books I purchased, so I'm guessing this is only applicable for certain types of merchandise.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 11:22 p.m.

In reply to codrus:

No, its included in the shipping charge according to the FAQ's section.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
2/24/15 11:34 p.m.

I never considered this angle. If we don't see a US release in April, I'll likely follow your lead.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/25/15 4:08 a.m.

$140+ dollars for a coyple of games? Wowzers. I hope that comes with a pair of British hookers.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/25/15 4:11 a.m.

When I bought something a few years back from the UK, the shipping was basically free after deducting VAT.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/25/15 9:57 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: $140+ dollars for a coyple of games? Wowzers. I hope that comes with a pair of British hookers.

US release is usually $59.99 each these days. And I'll be purchasing one copy for myself, and a second to give as a gift to a friend. The literal difference is paying $20 to ship from overseas to get at least 1 month ahead of time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hCpcHelWxpc6fYIJsIkliSQwStZqWyf8ZWOKcreK9AIQqFEWcuDAfsksHDyE2hPy