1 2
Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/6/19 6:45 p.m.
SVreX said:
spitfirebill said:
SVreX said:

Missed your post about family. 

My ideas about transplants still stand. Look for neighborhoods that include a lot of people who have moved in from other areas. 

I'm pretty sure all neighborhoods now have a lot of transplants.  At least up here in NW SC they do. 

Definitely not the case. There are still lots of areas that don’t have many transplants. 

Charleston is pretty diverse. The AFB and the Navy have been around here long enough to bring in a bunch of transplants. Beaufort gets a fair number from the Marine base. Most of the islands are also well populated by Yankees that have moved south. But go inland and there are places the banjos can still be heard. You don't have to go very far inland either. 10-15 miles is enough in some places. I'm not Southern enough for some of that crowd. 

There is a well healed upper crust that is truly Southern. You will never be accepted by them. They will put on a facade of welcome but it's just that, a facade. They are even worse than the rednecks from the sticks.

If you are from any were north of North Carolina, we are still going to call you a Damn Yankee. It's not personal...usually.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
2/6/19 7:43 p.m.

I remember from living there last time...

A Yankee is someone from the north.  A damn Yankee is someone from the north who moves to the south....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/8/19 6:06 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

To be slightly more accurate...

A Yankee visits for a while then goes home. A Damned Yankee never goes home. 

- The Damned Yankee

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/8/19 7:36 a.m.

There is a well healed upper crust that is truly Southern. You will never be accepted by them. They will put on a facade of welcome but it's just that, a facade. They are even worse than the rednecks from the sticks.

I do not have enough thumbs up to give for this. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
2/10/19 10:48 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

My good friend moved that way just before Boeing bought their supplier operation there. 

Some notes:

Few houses have basements which can be an adjustment for northerners used to that storage space. 

Schools are rapidly changing my friend said not all for the better. His kids were already in high school when he moved. His then new home is now worth a lot more I understand. 

Ask for help in creating go packs for hurricane evacs.

Larson is nice and country living is not far off. The cultural change is big from what I observed on visits. Southern hospitality takes some translation.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/11/19 7:02 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

As a long time southerner, I have to say that has largely gone away.   Unless you are a blue blood Charlestonian that lives on the Battery (pronounced bot tree).     

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/11/19 7:19 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

As a long time southerner, I have to say that has largely gone away.   Unless you are a blue blood Charlestonian that lives on the Battery (pronounced bot tree).     

Might have gone away in Spartanburg, but down on the coast, it is alive and well.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/11/19 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

That is why I pointed a select group in Chucktown.   Many large towns also have the old school country club that can be pretty snotty to outsiders.  But those places are fewer and further between after the 2008 meltdown.  Some around here damn near closed and were begging people to join. 

I suspect the large majority of the people in my neighborhood are not locals or southerners.  I would have a lonely existence if I wouldn't interact with these folks.        

CharlestonPalmetto
CharlestonPalmetto New Reader
3/21/22 2:15 p.m.

I just came across this post - I hope you were able to get down here back in 2019! 

There's a lot changed even since then in terms of price and we've barely got any homes to sell.

John's Island is probably the toughest spot in terms of traffic/infrastructure right now. We're on James Island and you have a bit more flexibility of getting on and off the island there...

Charleston Palmetto Homes

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
so23ndNarz4QNxDJpuT0hWxvIqYeLhvrfVucPJtPeFfQtKF9FzRdIMhs3ZPUF2H1