1 2
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/17/16 8:19 p.m.

Smells like mildew. How do you clean something that gets rinsed with bleach all the time?

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
8/17/16 8:20 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle:

Is it a front-loader? If so, clean the seals around the door thoroughly.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
8/17/16 8:22 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle:

Leave door open and let it air dry 100%. Sometimes it takes the seal too long to dry and it's helpful to take a small towel to wipe down the seal to help it dry out faster.....oops this is for front loader

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/17/16 8:27 p.m.

Top load, old skool washer

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/17/16 8:38 p.m.

How often do you run it? Water stays in the bottom.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/17/16 8:40 p.m.

Damn near every day

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/17/16 8:47 p.m.

Dunno, then. Seal? Underside of the lid? Leak inside the body of the washer?

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
8/17/16 8:49 p.m.

Borax and water is supposed to get rid of mildew.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
8/17/16 9:00 p.m.

Stop leaving wet clothes in washer. Soon as it stops washing, throw clothes into dryer and leave washer lid open to let it air dry.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
8/17/16 9:04 p.m.

it happens. Try Washer Magic:

Fill it to max with hot water (Add an extra gallon or two if you are able). Let it agitate for a few minutes, then let it sit for like 2 hours. Then Let it agitate for a while again and then drain/spin it out. If you've never done it before, do it twice. See if that helps.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/17/16 9:15 p.m.

Fill it and shut it off. Pour a gallon of vinegar in there and let it sit all day. Finish the cycle.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/17/16 9:20 p.m.

Good ideas. Thx

7rx
7rx New Reader
8/17/16 9:23 p.m.

Like Huck said vinegar. I had the same problem tried bleach only to have it come back couple weeks later. Vinegar is the solution. You can also just run a cup or two of it with the next load works like a charm!

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
8/17/16 9:24 p.m.

Baking soda works too

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
8/17/16 10:21 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: Baking soda works too

Just don't run baking soda and vineger at the same time. Or do. I'd love to hear about your experience

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
8/18/16 1:06 a.m.

When mine smells I usually just ask her to take a shower.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/18/16 4:56 a.m.

Vinegar also helps with the clothes themselves not smelling so sweet either.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
8/18/16 5:18 a.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote:
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: Baking soda works too
Just don't run baking soda and vineger at the same time. Or do. I'd love to hear about your experience

A video would be appreciated.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
8/18/16 7:46 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Fill it and shut it off. Pour a gallon of vinegar in there and let it sit all day. Finish the cycle.

This. I've used as little as 4 cups, and let it sit for only an hour before going through a full cycle, and it's worked its magic. The amount (and # of cleaning cycles) of vinegar probably depends how bad your washer is.

And when not in use, I to agree with keeping the lid open so things dry out.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
8/18/16 9:34 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: When mine smells I usually just ask her to take a shower.

A video would be appreciated.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
8/18/16 9:45 a.m.

Also btw scum builds up in a ring at the top of the water level between the tubs. For best cleaning, make sure to raise the water level above max just a little. Most washers have some wiggle room, but some don't so watch it carefully. You can add water on some by filling them to the max, then when they stop filling turn the water level selector to "Reset" for a little bit. That will allow a slight overfill. Some washers don't have that feature, however, then a bucket may be the answer. It doesn't take much, just another inch or less can get the cleaner you use up to that top scum ring.

That or rip it apart, pull out the inner tub and get scrubbing.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/18/16 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

If I use a bucket.. Water will be forced down a drain before it over flows, right?

I've pulled the agitator and scrubbed years of fabric softener goo out previously .. I may have to go deeper.

I ordered the special soap and will add water with a bucket.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
8/18/16 5:38 p.m.

The amount of filth that builds up on the outside of the waser drum is truly disgusting.

I recently stripped my washing machine down to replace bearings and and a seal and the motor speed sensor that had been taken out by the leaky seal. The sludge on the outside of the drum was just plain gross. Looking inside the washing machine prior to disassembly, it looked spotless, nope, can't believe we were cleaning clothes in that thing.

As others have suggested, try vinegar or another cleaner. Unless you feel like pulling it apart and scrubbing everything.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
8/18/16 5:51 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle:

Depends on the washer. Some will drain if it gets too high, GE's have an overflow that just dumps on the ground (pointless because GE). Just add a little at a time, you only have to go up about an inch. Unless something is screwed with, you will have multiple inches of leeway. If you didnt, it would always spray water over the top during washing.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/18/16 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Thanks

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W0DWcnAi39TIGL5GbcnLwx6xAKzMxdRot9UdCyHOPwxz6wCtYnw0skDDX1sCWcKI