1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/29/21 8:43 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:

This year we found the trick to leftovers. Have Thanksgiving at someone else's house. This year was hosted by our daughter and future SIL. Went to their place in the morning, less than a 2 hour drive and Thanksgiving at their place and drove home in the late afternoon/early evening. Will admit the drive home was kinda tough on a full stomach and no nap. No leftovers to contend with though. And nap when we got home. Was planing on Christmas at our other daughters place about a mile away but she doesn't have a dining room table yet. They moved into a new bigger house earlier this year and just can't swing a dining room table yet so Christmas dinner will be at my place again. As usual. So will have some leftovers then. We've been getting small turkeys (10-12 lb) and making smaller sides for a few years now which reduces the leftovers. Just enough to feed 10. Sending home some leftovers with the kids help reduce the leftovers too.

Sounds like your daughter should get an early Christmas gift in the form of a dining room table.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/29/21 9:10 a.m.

We were lazy this year. Since we didn't have any friends or family coming down (our families are all spread out over the US), we decided to just order in. Picked up a fancy pants, non-traditional dinner from a place. 

Spare ribs in a wine reduction
Parmesan risotto
Asparagus
Salad
Chocolate Pie

We picked it up Wednesday afternoon, all we had to do was turn the oven on to reheat on Thursday. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/29/21 9:52 a.m.

I think we've found the solution to the leftover turkey dilemma.

No more turkey.

We haven't had turkey for Thanksgiving in years and have decided that last year was the final year for turkey at Christmas.

Nobody really likes turkey here, we just tolerate it, and I was actually thinking about starting a thread to se what we all eat for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners last week but never got around to it.

So what size prime rib roast do you think I'll need for 10 people? Smoking a slab of salmon with it too.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
11/29/21 12:04 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I like a good turkey pasty, and no I'm not talking about the things that go on your nipples.

Why limit yourself?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
11/29/21 4:45 p.m.

My go-to for turkey leftovers is "Victory Garden" style turkey soup with long grain wild rice but Marjorie asked for ideas other than soup so I'll leave that one alone.

Next on my list would be white bean turkey chili...tons of recipes on-line, just make sure to pick one that gives seared Ortega chili's a starring role.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/29/21 4:49 p.m.

Not so much for the turkey, but the sides- if you had access to a full head of celery, including the greens- we just had a celery green pesto that was pretty awesome spread over the turkey.

MFE
MFE New Reader
11/29/21 10:33 p.m.

If you have a waffle iron or a panini maker, lay a bed of stuffing in it and use the lightly toasted goodness as a bed for badass open-face sandwich.

CJ Cougar Mellonbelly III
CJ Cougar Mellonbelly III Dork
11/30/21 12:40 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

I think we've found the solution to the leftover turkey dilemma.

No more turkey.

We haven't had turkey for Thanksgiving in years and have decided that last year was the final year for turkey at Christmas.

Nobody really likes turkey here, we just tolerate it, and I was actually thinking about starting a thread to se what we all eat for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners last week but never got around to it.

So what size prime rib roast do you think I'll need for 10 people? Smoking a slab of salmon with it too.

We always go with a pound per person... plus some for prime rib sandwiches the next day

obsolete
obsolete Reader
11/30/21 8:03 a.m.

We ended up with a lot of leftover mashed potatoes this year for some reason. My wife found this recipe for potato pancakes, we made some and fried them up on the griddle, and they're pretty great.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/30/21 9:13 a.m.

My mom used to make potato pancakes. Sooo good.

We used up the last scrap of leftovers this morning--took the final sad/crushed remains of apple pie out of the fridge and scraped out the filling, heated it up and served over french toast. Might have to do that again.

Best news on the leftover front? Except for a butt-ton of turkey soup, it's all goooone. Yay!

Margie

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/30/21 9:21 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

I had fried mashed potatoes for dinner two nights in a row. No regrets.

I grated a health does of jalapeno jack cheese into one batch. The other batch I made with cheddar and mozzarella. There were not leftover fried mashed potatoes in my house.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZZA4GBm7upfcAXO8o75NtCf0Vy0lquA54wuqzlZ5bnuSwTfmE2WKMtvizwrxvSJw