1 2 3 4 5
Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
4/9/12 8:50 a.m.
ThePhranc wrote: I expect the Pens to destroy Philly. That series should be contended in an MMA cage.

As long as the Flyers don't get too wrapped up in trying to make the Penguins bleed, they should be able to take the Pens out in 6.

flountown
flountown Reader
4/9/12 9:21 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:
ThePhranc wrote: I expect the Pens to destroy Philly. That series should be contended in an MMA cage.
As long as the Flyers don't get too wrapped up in trying to make the Penguins bleed, they should be able to take the Pens out in 6.

For the record, I would think the Pens are the dirtier team in this series. After 24/7 and Tortorella's recent comments that got him the $20k fine, I really am starting to like him.

I honestly believe the Penguins are a bunch of whiny, cheap players who don't realize how protected/guarded they are by the league. And if they do realize that and exercise it, then they are even bigger a-holes than I thought...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
4/14/12 12:35 p.m.

This playoff season has been fun and there has only been two games per series or less!!! This truly is the best time of the year for sports.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette HalfDork
4/14/12 5:09 p.m.

Amen brother.

Poor poor Cindy and Gino! I'm cryin!

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
4/14/12 6:53 p.m.

The Pens have disappointed me. The Caps have been fun to watch though.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
4/14/12 8:27 p.m.

I haven't been disappointed in the Pens as much as I've been impressed by the Flyers. If either team gets some goaltending they could probably win the series.

If you're looking for a game and can't find it, I think most games are available to stream on the Hockey night in Canada site.

flountown
flountown Reader
4/16/12 8:36 p.m.

Yesterday's game was one of the most fun that I have ever been to, and the orange shirt design was awesome...WHATCHAGUNNADO!!?!?!?!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette HalfDork
4/16/12 9:05 p.m.

Henrik, Henrik, Henrik!!!!!!!!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
4/16/12 9:39 p.m.
flountown wrote: Yesterday's game was one of the most fun that I have ever been to, and the orange shirt design was awesome...WHATCHAGUNNADO!!?!?!?!

Brilliant marketing move!!!! I hate the Flyers because I am wired to, but man I hate the Pens even more!!! I am loving that series. Hartnell is one of those guys you hate when he is on the other team, but love when he is on your team. The Hulk Hogan thing was awesome!!!!

Chris

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
4/17/12 12:05 p.m.

Flyers are exposing the Penguins for what they really are...a bunch of whining sore losers. I'm hoping they can finish the Pens off tomorrow night. But part of me wants them to lose so the series can go back to Pittsburgh so the Flyers can put them out of their misery in front of their own crowd.

Looking forward to an eventual match up with the Rangers. Yeah, the Rangers have had the Flyers' number, but to me if the Flyers want to be the best they have to beat the best.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/17/12 3:05 p.m.

I'm going start this with a little preface: I have been involved with the game of hockey since I was 6. That is 16 years now. I have been a referee for the past 4 years, and I was always a clean player. I only had one season with more than 20 penalty minutes, and other than that, I averaged about 8. I absolutely hate dirty playing and think that fighting should not be in the game whatsoever. I consider myself to be extremely knowledgeable on the game, and that I am reasonable with my opinions on penalties and suspensions.

What the hell is Brendan Shanahan doing? Shea Weber can take Henrik Zetterberg's head in both hands and slam it face first against the glass and only get a $2500 fine? He has that rolling around the back seat of his car. And Shanahan says that because Weber had no prior incidents and Zetterberg was not hurt, it did not warrant a suspension?

Okay, whatever. I'll give you that. You've set the precedent.

Oh, wait, now Andrew Shaw gets a 3 game suspension for colliding with Mike Smith? What? It was avoidable, yes, but he wasn't out head hunting and it was somewhat accidental. Not to mention, Shaw has no prior incidents and Smith didn't get hurt! I agree with the calls on the ice (although they should have been made immediately and not after assessing the injury), but the suspension is bullE36 M3. Actually, I think that Smith should be fined for his antics. If you are rolling around on the ice for 5 minutes, you better be injured for real. We don't want this to become soccer (not meant as a knock on soccer, just an observation that a lot of folks fake injuries).

What is he thinking? This has been the most exciting postseason I've seen this early in a long time, but it has also been the worst officiated I've ever seen. And Shanahan is doing nothing but adding to the lack of quality in it.

EDIT: Oh, and it is absolute horseE36 M3 that Hagelin was only suspended 3 games. Especially if you are going on letting the severity of an injury determine the punishment.

flountown
flountown Reader
4/17/12 6:37 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

The lack of a Shea Weber suspension was ridiculous, as well as I despise the fact that injury plays a role in suspension. Penalties are called to punish an ACT, NOT THE RESULT. As a ref I am sure you can sympathize with that, I took the year off after reffing for a decade, and it frustrates the hell out of me that injuries are taken into account. Some people are just more injury prone than others, if Hagelin takes out a Chris Neil with that elbow, chances are the concussion is less severe or non-existent, some people just have harder heads.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/17/12 6:53 p.m.
flountown wrote: In reply to mtn: The lack of a Shea Weber suspension was ridiculous, as well as I despise the fact that injury plays a role in suspension. Penalties are called to punish an ACT, NOT THE RESULT. As a ref I am sure you can sympathize with that, I took the year off after reffing for a decade, and it frustrates the hell out of me that injuries are taken into account. Some people are just more injury prone than others, if Hagelin takes out a Chris Neil with that elbow, chances are the concussion is less severe or non-existent, some people just have harder heads.

I agree with this 100%. Just last week I had to give a guy a 5 minute and a game misconduct for a highsticking penalty. It was adult C league, (basically 40 year old mites) and the guy was trying to stick check his opponent. Missed the stick, got the guys lip, and the guy had braces. Blood was everywhere, but the act did not warrant anything more than 2 minutes. It wasn't malicious, it wasn't even on purpose, and because his opponent wasn't wearing a mask (and at that level it should be required) he got screwed--and I had no choice. I even went up to the director after the game and told him that if he wanted to try and take it up with the higher powers, I would give my support.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
4/17/12 6:58 p.m.

The refs have botched the Caps Boston series.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
4/17/12 7:15 p.m.

The officiating is lousy in the NHL. I know they say it's the best in the world, but it's not good enough. Nobody knows from period to period, or even game to game what's a penalty, and often times the on ice officials can't agree on calls. As far as fighting, it's not a matter of whether it belongs. It IS part of the game. Hockey, when played well, is fast, rough, and intense. I've been involved in the game for 45 years, played most of them, and coached for 10. I don't like fighting for the sake of fighting, to me that's lame, but if an opposing player is taking liberties with me or my teammate, I'm doing something about it.

I didn't see the last game, but I'm very much enjoying the Pa. series. It has everything except goaltending. I thought last nights NY/Ottawa game was boring. Lot's of skating, not a lot of scoring chances, and no hitting. Looked like a regular season game.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/17/12 8:34 p.m.

Anybody watching the Blackhawks Coyotes game? Raffi Torres should get at least a 5 game suspension for that one. Probably more like 10. Left the feet, aimed for the head with the shoulder, and in light of the other suspensions going down, I think that anything less than 5 is a disgrace.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
4/17/12 9:41 p.m.

Absolutely a bush league dirty hit buy the master of them Torres. I hated him last year on the Final when he was with the 'Nucks,and still do. I hope they throw the book at 'em.

Chris

flountown
flountown Reader
4/17/12 9:54 p.m.

I agree with a lot of the pundits that he is likely looking at rest of playoffs, and double digits to begin the season.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Reader
4/17/12 11:33 p.m.

Go Canucks

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
4/18/12 6:39 a.m.

I think you spelled Kings wrong. Nobody wants the 'nucks to win outside of BC.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
4/18/12 8:37 a.m.

Left his feet, that's a charging penalty, but I'm not sure he was aiming for his head. Hossa should have had his head up. If he did, we wouldn't be discussing it, and he wouldn't be hurt.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Reader
4/18/12 11:34 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I think you spelled Kings wrong. Nobody wants the 'nucks to win outside of BC.

Other than most Canadians. And its nice to see we are no longer considered the dirtiest players in the league.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/18/12 12:14 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Left his feet, that's a charging penalty, but I'm not sure he was aiming for his head. Hossa should have had his head up. If he did, we wouldn't be discussing it, and he wouldn't be hurt.

How was he not aiming for his head? His shoulder went straight to the guys chin, and Hossa is a good 2 inches taller than him. And in the replay, I wouldn't exactly say that Hossa had his head down; not to mention he was (in my admittedly biased opinion) well out of possession of the puck by that point.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
4/18/12 5:06 p.m.

Aiming for his head? I don't see that. I see a high speed, hard hit, with incidental head contact. He left his feet, and that's punishable. Was it late? If you slow it down, or watch it over and over, you might think that, but not at that speed. The puck was gone for a fraction of a second. I wonder if the stretcher and ambulance were theatrics, and Hossa plays the next game? That's probably why Torres put the hearing off until Friday. Give him a game and call it a day.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
4/18/12 5:25 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: I think you spelled Kings wrong. Nobody wants the 'nucks to win outside of BC.
Other than most Canadians. And its nice to see we are no longer considered the dirtiest players in the league.

I think most Canadiens aside from those in BC wanted the 'nucks to lose last year. At least on the hockey forums I frequent they weren't well liked in the great white north. I may be a lil biased though being a B's fan.

-C

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
paaxqzxTJ3GyAztnmQFGisytYY8FObRvPzfeIRAzBwKTqHI4FEyH5ZarxumMQQKi