1 2 3
Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/17/18 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

We got one about the same time as you did and it is getting time to get a new one.  Rotating it helps but the time between rotations is getting shorter and shorter, I can tell it needs to be rotated when I start waking up in the morning with my shoulder hurting.  With that being said the Tempurpedic is the best mattress I have ever slept on and we will get another one at some point.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/17/18 10:19 a.m.

+1 on going to a king if you aren’t sleeping alone. 

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
7/17/18 10:44 a.m.

I have a Purple for my bed and a cheap 12" Zinus from Amazon in the guest room.   The Purple is great, but I find that the gel matrix occasionally tends to find pressure points when I sleep on my side; usually my hip or ribs.  The Zinus is excellent.   They both seem like they'd be too firm when you first lay on them, but I find both to be way more comfortable than various inner spring mattresses that I've owned or slept on when travelling.   I grew up sleeping on a heated waterbed, so I tend to like a warm bed and can't really comment on if one is cooler than the other.

If I had to do it again, I'd save the money I spent on the Purple and get a Zinus.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
7/18/18 1:00 a.m.

Well, I've ordered the Casper Wave  with an adjustable base, and it should be here in a week or so.  The next big hurdle is to train myself to sleep on my back (slightly upright) instead of my front or side.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/18/18 7:12 a.m.

only comment is to get the wife a CPAP machine, that revolutionized my life

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/18/18 7:22 a.m.

The best mattress I've every had is the one we use now. It is a $299 innerspring from Amazon. It replaced a $900 mattress that lasted 2 years. That $900 mattress replaced a $1400 that lasted about 2 years. I figure if the life span of a mattress was only going to be 2 years and a $299 mattress is as comfortable as a $1400 mattress, then spending the money was a waste. 

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
8/14/18 10:47 p.m.

The Casper 'Wave' has been with us for a few weeks now so I thought I'd post an update.

Overall it's pretty comfy.  The mattress doesn't cause stress points the way most spring mattresses I've owned do.

The adjustible base looks like it's just something they drop ship from a chinese manufacturer - so I'd recommend looking at other sources for that.  It's not bad, but it's not anything special.

The toughest part so far has been teaching myself to sleep on my back.  It just feels unnatural and I always end up on my side or stomach. .. I'll have to keep working on it, but it's my problem and not an issue with the mattress.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
8/15/18 3:18 p.m.

We've been doing some mattress shopping ourselves since we'll need to outfit the cabin with 2 beds once it's done. Current favorite of both the Dancer and I for the bed for the actual bedroom is a firmer cool-gel topped memory foam mattress with a medium-firm traditional mattress for the loft.

We've got a Sleep Number bed I got about 8 years ago that has a cool gel top layer on it that works pretty well for us at home, but I REALLY need to work on trying to sleep on my back more- sleeping on my stomach/side does not do my shoulder problems any good. Unfortunately when I'm on my back I tend to snore like a freight train, which obviously the Dancer does not appreciate in the least...

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
8/25/18 3:17 p.m.

Update:   The Casper has been good, but not really as great as you'd expect compared to the competition at much lower prices.

We've ordered a Novaform through Costco (~$2,000) and will be sending back the Casper (~$4,000) once it gets here.  Both have basically the same features and get good reviews.  I was hoping the Casper would live up to the hype (and the cost), but it hasn't.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/25/18 8:07 p.m.

Is the Costco really $2k? When I bought the Costco Nova 14 King last year it was $600-ish.

Actually, 2 years ago

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
8/27/18 11:58 a.m.

Anyone else have input on the Zinus mattresses? 

Looking at a king size of either their Green Tea Memory Foam Pressure Relief Mattress or the Cooling Hybrid Gel Foam Mattress. Looks like they have some very decent looking platform beds to go along with it too for pretty cheap. 

former520
former520 HalfDork
8/27/18 12:28 p.m.

I picked up a Amazon multi layer foam with cool foam and have had it for 2 years.  It was ~300ish and better by far than the last 1500 pillow top.  

The cool foam does work, I never sweat at night (SW corner bedroom in Phoenix) and in the past used to get dehydrated from sweating so much at night (slight exaggeration).  

If the 2000 foam is 7x better, it would have to be amazing.  

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/27/18 2:07 p.m.

Listen, this will sound too good to be true, but it ain't.  And NOT a canoe.

I got this Zinus full mattress for $169 in January.  To say that I am pleased is an understatement.  Seriously.  Amazing mattress.

The only complaint I had was that the chemical-y smell lingered for a couple months, but I have slept on it now for 8 months and I freaking love it.  I left a positive review, then went back and did a couple additions to the review to update as it was used more and more.

I had gone through all the research, went to some friends' houses to try their Tuft and Need, Purple, Casper, and Sleep Innovations.  I had pretty much decided on a $700 sleep innovations mattress, but just couldn't pull the trigger.  Then a friend showed me his Zinus (that sounds dirtier than I intended) and I was totally sold.  Bought one the next day, free prime shipping, LOVE IT.

Listen, everyone has different tastes, but I really suggest you get it.  It has a warranty, but who cares?  At this price, use it for 3 years and get a new one.

Edit... I loved the experience so much that I decided to give them more of my business and buy the platform frame from them as well (I was going to build one but didn't have the time).  Again, I was impressed.  Sturdy, heavier steel gauge, bolts together.  The allen wrench they sent with it wasn't hardened so it rounded off in the first bolt, so plan on using your own.  Very strong, doesn't make noise, again very happy.  It was this frame and only cost something like $115.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
9/5/18 10:46 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

We went with a king size split adjustable.  It's often the most expensive combo of base and mattress.  At 2k the Costco was still half the price of the Casper that came in at around $4,700 with all the taxes and stuff thrown in.

We've been sleeping on the Novaform for about a week now.  It's a little firmer than the Casper, but I only notice that when I'm on my side or front (still trying to train myself to sleep on my back).

One good thing about the Casper was that the return process is pretty painless.  It seems like you have to call in to set up the return, and I waited for about ten minutes on hold; but once I got a person they processed the return and arranged shipping without any fuss.  They didn't even ask why I didn't want it. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/7/18 9:05 a.m.

I ordered a King size Zinus mattress off Amazon (link below) and it arrived yesterday. I opened it up and it is sitting in another room so that it can fully expand. I am reading that it should be left for 72 hours. It does have a smell, but I think it will go away by the time 72 hours is up. I did plop down on it once and it seems nice. My wife is hoping it gets a little firmer, so hopefully she likes it in the end. The kicker? Amazon actually sent me two of these mattresses yesterday, and according to the FTC and Amazon I get to keep it as a free gift. 

I went with the bed frame in the other link below. It came Wednesday. Easy to assemble, I just put our current full size mattress on it till the Zinus is ready. I do plan to put plywood down on it as well to bridge the gap between the slats because that seems to work better for the foam mattresses. 

Mattress:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7EPV8O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Frame:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8PIVLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/7/18 9:19 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

That looks like an awesome deal, but SWMBO is super sensitive to odors(yet she married me?), so I don’t think she could stand to sleep on a mattress like this based on some of the reviews. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
9/7/18 9:27 a.m.

AWSX, the smell won't go away in 72 hours, unfortunately... at least mine didn't.  It took more like a month, but it was SOOOOO worth it.  I absolutely love my Zinus.  I have the same 12" green tea mattress in Full size.

I got the exact same frame, but with the shorter legs.  You'll like it.  Beefy, quiet, and easy to assemble.  Be prepared to use your own allen wrench.  The one they sent with mine was really soft steel and rounded off quickly.  The bolts are fine, but the wrench sucked.

Edit: oh, just saw you already assembled it

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/7/18 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Yeah, I'm happy with the frame so far. It's just a little precarious having a full size mattress on a king size frame. Only temporary though. 

As far as the smell and 72 hours. Did you leave yours totally open for that long? I haven't put sheets or anything on it yet. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/7/18 10:34 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Curtis :

Yeah, I'm happy with the frame so far. It's just a little precarious having a full size mattress on a full size frame. Only temporary though. 

Huh?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/7/18 10:43 a.m.
mtn said:
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Curtis :

Yeah, I'm happy with the frame so far. It's just a little precarious having a full size mattress on a full size frame. Only temporary though. 

Huh?

I assembled the frame so it's ready, but the mattress wasn't here yet, and now I am letting it sit in another room to air out and expand for 72 hours. So until the new king mattress is ready for use, but old full size mattress is on the new king frame. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/7/18 10:45 a.m.

Ah. That makes sense; you'd said "Full mattress on full frame" and I was confused. 

You'll be very glad you went with a king size mattress. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
9/7/18 11:04 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Curtis :

As far as the smell and 72 hours. Did you leave yours totally open for that long? I haven't put sheets or anything on it yet. 

I left mine in the spare room for at least 72 hours, maybe more.  No sheets.  I basically took delivery, opened it up, and left for a few days on a trip.

I started using it a few days after that.  The smell lingered for quite a while, but it didn't bother me.  I will say that once the smell left, it is gone.  No odors now even if you bury your nose in it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/7/18 11:41 a.m.
mtn said:

Ah. That makes sense; you'd said "Full mattress on full frame" and I was confused. 

You'll be very glad you went with a king size mattress. 

Oops. I see, I mistyped earlier. That's what you get for GRM'ing while on the phone. Edited the original to make sense.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/7/18 11:43 a.m.
Curtis said:
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Curtis :

I left mine in the spare room for at least 72 hours, maybe more.  No sheets.  I basically took delivery, opened it up, and left for a few days on a trip.

I started using it a few days after that.  The smell lingered for quite a while, but it didn't bother me.  I will say that once the smell left, it is gone.  No odors now even if you bury your nose in it.

Good to know. I'm hoping that 72 hours is at least enough to make it bearable... My wife did not really appreciate the smell, and my nose is pretty sensitive. Worst case I guess we just have to wait a few more days. 

8valve
8valve Reader
9/7/18 11:53 a.m.
mtn said:

$1k for something that you use more than literally anything else in the world. I can’t think of anything else you use as much. Think about it—2 people, using it for 8 hours a day, every day. 

Counter point-  I have one of the $1000 traditional mattress sets. I wouldn't say I sleep any better on it than the futons, couches, ikea beds, bean bags, or other cheap stuff I've slept on.  Its nice to have I guess.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eVaEFVNm0vgxti0zoDPxilgWQH5wAlzDtfhNkfP5bQvURfiL9CeBRBeFVuio8hre