1 2 3
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/10/18 9:35 a.m.

First night on the Zinus last night. Slept really well! (And I sold the other one, so now I'm only $150 for a brand new king size mattress.)

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
9/10/18 1:18 p.m.

Smell go away?

Nothing like a good night's sleep.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
9/10/18 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Mostly... I can't say I really noticed it once we went to bed. Moving it into place and everything I could smell it some, but it was pretty faint. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
2/4/20 1:16 p.m.

Reviving this Zombie thread, as I just unboxed our Zinus mattress and plopped it on our Zinus frame.

Does anyone know if it's *critical* to let it expand for 24-48hrs before sleeping on it? Or will it just be "not as comfy?" I don't wanna berkeley the mattress up, but we threw our old one away yesterday and slept on the air mattress last night, which was berkeleying BROOTAL.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 UltraDork
2/4/20 1:43 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I think it's best for it to fully expand and also offgas any smells. I think I left mine in another room for like 3 days. 

Is it critical? I dunno. Probably the best test for you would be to see if the smell is bearable. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 UltraDork
2/4/20 1:45 p.m.
Curtis said:

Smell go away?

Nothing like a good night's sleep.

Update on the smell for mine. I think I waited the 3 days, then put it to use. Mattress cover + sheets, and it was fine. Been using it a year an a half now and I'm still happy with it. 

poopshovel again
2/4/20 1:51 p.m.

Pleased to report no unpleasant smells. I just wasn't sure if squishing the foam before it fully expanded...and again 16 hours later over and over would affect the mattress. I suppose we could spin in tomorrow so my fat ass isn't creating a permanent divot.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 UltraDork
2/4/20 2:05 p.m.

I'm not sure anyone here could really say for sure, but I think you're probably ok to start using it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/4/20 2:34 p.m.

I have taken the 16 hours to mean that coming from a highly compressed package, it will take 16 hours for the foam to "grow" to its full size and therefore its full comfort.  

I do no think that it means that coming from a compressed state, the mattress needs all 16 hours to "grow" to it full size and any interruption of this "growth" will permanently retard the mattress to only the size at which it was interrupted. 

The 16 hours might also be advised for the mattress to "gas off" the petroleum-like smell that comes with the manufacturing process. 

So,  I expect that sleeping on it early might result in a little less comfort and maybe some smell for the first night but all other nights after a 16 hours of growth (or uninterrupted re-growth) should be just fine.   

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/4/20 2:52 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I have taken the 16 hours to mean that coming from a highly compressed package, it will take 16 hours for the foam to "grow" to its full size and therefore its full comfort.  

I do no think that it means that coming from a compressed state, the mattress needs all 16 hours to "grow" to it full size and any interruption of this "growth" will permanently retard the mattress to only the size at which it was interrupted. 

The 16 hours might also be advised for the mattress to "gas off" the petroleum-like smell that comes with the manufacturing process. 

So,  I expect that sleeping on it early might result in a little less comfort and maybe some smell for the first night but all other nights after a 16 hours of growth (or uninterrupted re-growth) should be just fine.   

This seems right to me.  If you could damage it by sleeping on it, then it would be truly berkeleyed by being boxed up for shipping, I think.

poopshovel again
2/4/20 3:19 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

They recommend 24-48. The 16 would be the time between when I get up tomorrow morning & plop my ass back down in the evening. But yeah, I agree with your logic, and besides, who am I bullE36 M3tin? We've been sleeping on an old queen spring mattress since October, and my body/mind/everyone around me has paid the price, so I'm stretchin out tonight, gat_dammit!!! "ZINUS! TAKE ME AWAAAAAAY!!!!"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/22 11:07 p.m.

Zombie thread revival - on purpose!

Any Purple owners care to weigh in on your long term satisfaction?

DW and I are moving up to a king and replacing our 10-year-old Serta pillow top. The Serta has been fine but I wanted to try the Purple just to see.

We're considering a Premier Hybrid with a 3" grid top. We're both larger and I don't trust an all-synthetic mattress, so I want some coil springs in there too.  Also, really Do Not Want a memory foam mattress.

I was really comfortable in the Purple store. REALLY comfortable. But most of the 5-star reviews are all a month old or less, and all the bad reviews are from people who've owned it for a longer time.  And some of the bad reviews are really bad.

So, anybody in the GRM brain trust care to share your Purple experience?  Thanks.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/25/22 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

We got our Purple I think 3 months ago roughly. Base model King size, not the hybrid.

I've had a couple people steer me away from the hybrid, one being my chiropractor, but I think a lot of that must be personal preference. 

Before the Purple we had a Zinus, and I liked it a lot, but after 3 years no rotating, my size was wearing down, and apparently they have fiberglass in them which isn't ideal. 

The purple is similar to the memory foam, but different. The "grid" really is neat how it conforms to you, and I like it. I think it does sleep cooler than the Zinus memory foam mattress did as well. 

I know that's not as long term as you were looking for, but so far I am happy with it. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3bOvqBWCHf3r3qqa4A1Uqvxw6SD0Qwqgy4WiZiUwvjXU32KdoYcGaH2RiWTcJN9c