1 2 3
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/21 9:43 a.m.

HOAs have been a recurring topic around here, and in a thread over on the GRM side we talked about spare parts laying around your property and what HOAs would say about it.

So let's make our own hypothetical HOA.  Let's say we all live in the same development called Miata View, or it's sister neighborhood across the highway called Answer Acres.  What would our HOA look like?

This:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/23/21 9:47 a.m.

I don't think I want to live in the same neighborhood as much of GRM.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/21 9:56 a.m.

Toyman is right. But I'll play: 

• The HOA would support a large autocross/test'n'tune parking lot. HOA fees go towards maintaining it, and the bathroom facilities attached. 
  • Each home must have a minimum 3 car garage and 6 designated outdoor spots (concrete, brick, cement, aggregate, or asphalt). Note that is the minimum, but the point being that there are spots at each home designated for vehicles. It is limited to 6 permanent spots in the front of the house; in the back, behind an 8 foot fence, there is no limit as long as any paved surfaces do not impact flooding. Vehicles, including boats and RVs are only allowed in said designated spots. 
  • If your vehicle hasn't moved in 3 years and is in the front of the property, any member can buy the vehicle for $500, a la LeMons.
  • You must have at least 15% of the front yard/driveway area be grass, native plants, fake grass, or similar. If it is grass, it must be mowed once a month. 
  • Each member is allowed only 2 lawn tractor fires in their ownership/residency.
  • Zambonis are exempt from all rules.
  • Houses must not have any chance of appearing on the blog McMansion Hell
  • Lots must be at least 1/2 acre. Ya'll smell.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/21 10:01 a.m.

I propose a scale for non-running vehicles. If you have a 1988 beige Camry on blocks, that's a no-no and you will be notified to remove it. If you have a '72 Pantera on blocks that would be completely awesome if you ever got that built 351 back into it, that is allowed. Non-running dream cars = good. Non running POS = bad. 

APEowner
APEowner Dork
3/23/21 10:26 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I propose a scale for non-running vehicles. If you have a 1988 beige Camry on blocks, that's a no-no and you will be notified to remove it. If you have a '72 Pantera on blocks that would be completely awesome if you ever got that built 351 back into it, that is allowed. Non-running dream cars = good. Non running POS = bad. 

What if you're doing a mid-engine conversion on the Camry with the intention of entering it in the Challenge?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/23/21 10:30 a.m.
APEowner said:

What if you're doing a mid-engine conversion on the Camry with the intention of entering it in the Challenge?

That sounds completely awesome to me.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/23/21 10:31 a.m.
APEowner said:

Do it in the garage.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/23/21 10:32 a.m.

I propose the mullet HOA: Business in the front, party (behind an 8' fence) in the back. We don't have to stare at each other's broken projects, but there's plenty of room for them.

We could have "broken crap showcase day" once a month where everybody has to open up their gates and let the neighbors see what's in the back yard. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/23/21 10:33 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I don't think I want to live in the same neighborhood as much of GRM.

I would, but I bet my wife would get annoyed by the grinding of welds or engine break-ins after midnight.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/23/21 10:33 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

• The HOA would support a large autocross/test'n'tune parking lot. HOA fees go towards maintaining it, and the bathroom facilities attached. 
  • Each home must have a minimum 3 car garage and 6 designated outdoor spots (concrete, brick, cement, aggregate, or asphalt). Note that is the minimum, but the point being that there are spots at each home designated for vehicles. It is limited to 6 permanent spots in the front of the house; in the back, behind an 8 foot fence, there is no limit as long as any paved surfaces do not impact flooding. Vehicles, including boats and RVs are only allowed in said designated spots. 
  • If your vehicle hasn't moved in 3 years and is in the front of the property, any member can buy the vehicle for $500, a la LeMons.
  • You must have at least 15% of the front yard/driveway area be grass, native plants, fake grass, or similar. If it is grass, it must be mowed once a month. 
  • Each member is allowed only 2 lawn tractor fires in their ownership/residency.

You forgot the HOA maintained fab shop.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/21 10:39 a.m.

Ok, how about this:

1.3 mile circuit track surrounding a large flat skidpad/autox area. 2 of the 4 track sides surrounded by 3-5 story condos, built wall-to-wall with high levels of soundproofing for both the occupants and also the surrounding areas. 1 side of track surrounded by garages, and the 4th is a rallyx field and then a forest area for 4x4 action and sound control. 

Greenspace and pool and sports fields outside of condos. From the outside we look and sound like a regular (very large) condo complex. 

HOA is expensive, but they focus their time on maintaining buildings and tracks, mowing the grass, and LOBBYING THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT SO WE CAN STAY. 

The HOA would also manage the leaderboard on all track records, host races, etc. So the HOA should be a combination of the best parts of the SCCA (track and competition hosting), the NRA (lobbying and PR), and Marriott (building and property management). Simple, right?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
3/23/21 10:39 a.m.

I think what y'all are trying to describe is the Motorsports version of "air parks" where people own a house that includes hangers and access to taxi-ways that lead to a runway.

edit: I've seen a bunch of tracks attempt this... but I'm not sure I see it taking off the same way our aviation compatriots have managed.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
3/23/21 10:41 a.m.

I'd like to change my vote to this:

Don't be a dick.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/23/21 10:54 a.m.

I have a vision of a retirement condo building for car/bike/carpenter/welder guys.  Picture a city block, two story condos facing out to the street on three sides, with full size walk out basements, fire and noise rated, under each unit.  Basements have 12' roof height, doors as required for the hobby of your choice.  Fourth side of the block is access to the basement level.  

Rules?  Don't be noisy too late or too early.  Don't be a dick.  Can't park garbage out on the street side, to keep the passers by out of the loop.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/23/21 10:57 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

Well I'm ready to move in.  Where do I sign?

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
3/23/21 10:59 a.m.

The best way to approach this would be to have a regular neighborhood adjacent to an industrial warehouse area that houses all of the shops and projects. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/23/21 11:00 a.m.

I would want scottyB to the house right of me, bmw88rider to the left of me, and curtis across me, so I can ask him questions anytime I need

If the average person abided by and understood "dont be a dick," than all HOA in USA would be a perfectly fine place to live. Due to everyone's relative different understanding of what that means, is why we can't have nice things

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/23/21 11:09 a.m.

I'd rather live in the country and do whatever I want. If I live in the burbs then yeah I'll take an HOA vs living next to y'all lmao

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/23/21 11:11 a.m.

Generally I am probably more restrictive than most.  That said, my neighborhood has an HOA and I generally dont mind it. They are pretty hands off. 

• Dont be a dick about noise when people are trying to sleep. 
    • Also, if you are gonna blast music during the day, is it too much to ask that it not be too blatantly profanity laced?
  • Clean your $h17 up; mow your lawn, fix stuff thats falling apart, dont pile garbage. A neat and tidy project is one thing, a rustbucket sitting with weeds around it for months is another. 
    • Out of site/out of mind. If you keep the mess reasonable, whats behind the fence is not my problem.  (by reasonable, I mean the weeds arent taller than the fence, you arent breeding mosquitos, and its not just stuff you were too lazy to take to the dump)
  • Dont endanger my kids. 
    • I'll keep them off the ring track, you keep the speed down in the areas we all might want to walk
    • If your dog is gonna run up towards me, it needs to be on a leash. 
      • BTW, DooDoo bags: USE THEM

Like I said, I am likely worse than most. But the thing is...  most of the above is just called being a decent neighbor.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/23/21 11:28 a.m.
yupididit said:

I'd rather live in the country and do whatever I want. If I live in the burbs then yeah I'll take an HOA vs living next to y'all lmao

I agree...  I'd like to have my own space to do my own thing.. but if not.. let's make sure we don't have toilets on your front yard (Which somoene did in my HOA as a joke, then the hammer came down and everyone was realized).

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) UltraDork
3/23/21 12:20 p.m.
  • No more than 1/2 (50%) of a household's fleet of vehicles shall be in roadworthy, drivable condition. Violators will be put back into compliance without notice by the Association, typically at night and while intoxicated. 
3/23/21 12:23 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I would want scottyB to the house right of me, bmw88rider to the left of me, and curtis across me, so I can ask him questions anytime I need

If the average person abided by and understood "dont be a dick," than all HOA in USA would be a perfectly fine place to live. Due to everyone's relative different understanding of what that means, is why we can't have nice things

Maybe one of the HOA rules is that you have a FRS radio so we can all just get quick answers.  You wouldn't have to have them ON, per se, you could choose to turn them off.

Like "oh E36 M3... Curtis... kitty litter STAT!"

3/23/21 12:25 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

You forgot the HOA maintained fab shop.

I always wanted to co-op own a warehouse with a shop-share kinda thing.

Tried to make it work in Austin but there were a lot of flakes

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/23/21 12:27 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:
yupididit said:

I agree...  I'd like to have my own space to do my own thing.. but if not.. let's make sure we don't have toilets on your front yard (Which somoene did in my HOA as a joke, then the hammer came down and everyone was realized).

If you got a problem wit dis, then I think we're gonna have a problem.

beauty eh

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UXXEobmluXkOLtvcWz5vFMkWDCCUReShqKqQ3NTyjFCCMYTSjWxOIvwVz9NVRznM