barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
2/1/22 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I'm fairly convinced that a JCM 800 is the single greatest amp ever. Good at everything. But have you shopped them recently? Mercy. 
As for the modeling board, I think you'll like it. I LOVE my Headrush for bass. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/1/22 8:55 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been jamming with a guitarist & drummer recently, and it has me yearning to go back to a stereo bass rig. Back in the mid-90's I was in a trio & split my signal through a Mesa Boogie 400 head into a 4x10 cab, and a JCM800 into an old HiWatt 4x12. It was drastically too loud & weighed more than I could even imagine hauling around now, but oh man...

So I emailed my Sweetwater rep & asked for his input, and he sent me this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QuadCortex--neural-dsp-quad-cortex-quad-core-digital-effects-modeler-profiler-floorboard

It won't be available for a few months, and I'd need to try it out to make sure it does what I need & sounds good doing it, but I sure like the idea of being able to have multiple settings, including split signal paths, in something that light & compact. 

If it'll do everything that it says  that's a hell of a piece of gear

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/2/22 8:28 a.m.
barefootskater5000 said:

I'm fairly convinced that a JCM 800 is the single greatest amp ever. Good at everything. But have you shopped them recently? Mercy. 
As for the modeling board, I think you'll like it. I LOVE my Headrush for bass. 

Yeah... prices have gone insane for those.  Vintage Marshalls from the 70's are even worse. To the point where if I were to get one, I'd buy a Suhr SL67 or SL68 instead and get the same sounds in a more reliable and better built amp for less money (although still not cheap). For JCM800 sounds I'd look at either a Suhr or Friedman option. Or one of the Ceriatone amps that seem to be really good for the money.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/2/22 7:31 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater5000 :

Oh there's no way I'm lugging a tube head around. A friend in IL passed away a year ago & I'm pretty sure his brothers haven't sold his Boogie 400+ or Sun Solrado heads - both of which I've played through & absolutely love - but I've not even asked them about it. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/2/22 8:58 p.m.

There is the Marshall classic 20 studio thing that isn't bad. It's an 800 clone, but 20w and half size. Less than half weight. But at only 20w I'm not sure how it would do for bass against a drummer and guitarist, and you'd still have to haul a cabinet...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall/Studio-Classic-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-Black-1500000257019.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWMWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9OiPBhCOARIsAI0y71CfBXWzaZGa3uj8FtLcahaaWFom8YZ0z5Dnlj17MWJW3lKCkEdG4qQaAkcKEALw_wcB

Honestly, if there's a PA, it's hard to argue against these new modeler pedals. Especially if you like to mess around with effects at all. If you were closer I'd loan you mine just to test it out. It's a ton of fun.
A bit of a tangent. My MX5 has an expression pedal. It's set to be used as a volume or wah like one would expect, but it can be used as a knob on an effect as well. I've got a bass channel where I use it to control the gain knob on the fuzz. Variable distortion, baby! I don't know if the neural dsp has such a pedal, but I'd imagine it to be similarly flexible. Get creative. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
2/3/22 1:52 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

If I could have confidence in the sound guy running the house PA system, the idea of a "no amp" type of system. But all too often that guy can be a PITA to work with, going by my own experiences from 25 years ago and seeing friends' bands playing local shows recently. I would want to have some control over what I can hear. 

Some of the new "pedal amp" options are interesting.  Having everything on a small pedal board and just having a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet for stage volume.  I've been thinking about a system like that since it's likely that if I were to join a band again, I'd likely be mainly vocals and not always playing guitar.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/3/22 6:24 p.m.

Oh that's pretty sweet.

Im currently running through the Bugera 1000w head(which is really more like 250w rms into 8-ohms) into my 2x10 Peavey cab. It's a bit more bulky than I'd like, but way less than I've had before & is loud enough for the current trio. If we ever gig I'll drag it to shows too, or maybe bring a 2nd cab. 

2/3/22 11:39 p.m.

I always worry about bad sound guys so I haul a 120w peavey almost always.

The only time I've used my 15w marshall is when I brought the sound system too lol

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
2/10/22 9:31 p.m.

Appropriate here: 

barefootcyborg5000
2/11/22 11:34 a.m.

Got out the amp the other day because I'm getting pretty tired of playing through headphones. 

I forget how fun playing can be. I can't really flex the thing in my apartment, but I can get it into a good zone. Maybe I'll get the orange out this weekend. 

2/14/22 11:41 p.m.

Anyone play Orangewood or Harley Benton acoustics? I should add a decent acoustic to my stable.

Harley Benton also makes a bari acoustic, which would also be handy although I was leaning towards the 8 string

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
2/15/22 7:32 a.m.

Watching YouTube videos can be bad...  Michael Nielsen does these videos where he goes back and thumbs through old guitar rags from the 80's and early 90's.  In a recent one, he glossed over an ad for a Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine.  I had one of these back in the day...  and did some direct recording with it... so I was feeling nostalgic... and after a few minutes of Reverb searching, this was in my hands a few days later:

Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine image 1

At least it doesn't take up too much room... 

barefootcyborg5000
2/16/22 5:06 p.m.

So I thought I liked the "high output" humbuckers in my tele until I played it back to back with my burstbucker equipped Gretsch, and my PAF equipped LP. 
Id love to order the EMG 57/66 set but putting that much $ in a squier just doesn't sit well. I could save $130 by getting a set of invaders, which suit me well. 
I did just order concentric volume pots for the two that have a master volume. That way I can roll the neck back a little and get a cleaner and fatter tone just by switching up. 

barefootcyborg5000
2/17/22 11:06 a.m.

And then a buddy offers me a killer deal on this:

it's just a samick, but it's pretty metal, set neck, good hardware, bridge only EMG (Alexi style) and a fitted hard case for two bills. 
I do not need any more guitars

I do not need any more guitars

​​​​​​​I do not need any more guitars

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
2/17/22 12:15 p.m.

Sure you do.

barefootcyborg5000
2/17/22 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I'm honestly just out of space. The explorer could fill the same role as my tele, and it already has a better pickup, so I'd be money ahead and space neutral to sell the squier first... Here's the thing about that though. My wife is a first class enabler and borderline hoarder. Maybe that's too strong, but she definitely has a hard time letting go of things, or letting me let go of things. 

timing!

a screenshot of the last few minutes of texts

so we'll see. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
2/17/22 1:27 p.m.

So wait what?   Your wife will be mad if you sell the white one you bought recently and if you don't find space for the Explorer copy?   Not seeing the problem here.  devil

barefootcyborg5000
2/17/22 1:51 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

I should really stop complaining. I basically have permission to just keep buying gear. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
2/17/22 5:15 p.m.

There he is!  laugh

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/17/22 8:32 p.m.

Wait... you tried selling gear to buy new gear, and your wife said NO and to buy it anyway?

Just go with it, dude. You are one lucky guy. Live your best life. 

barefootcyborg5000
2/17/22 8:41 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Y'all made your point. 

Still not exactly sure I want the samick, and I'd have to ship it from GA. Idk. I'll sleep on it. 

2/17/22 9:50 p.m.

So......I put an Acoustic 408 on layaway because apparently I need an 4x15 bass cab

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
2/18/22 8:18 a.m.

I would have a hard time passing on that Samick as well.  Looks really cool. 

Except I am also totally out of room and I already have two Explorers. 

A 4x15 cab?  That's gotta be huge. surprise

barefootcyborg5000
2/18/22 12:34 p.m.

Just because. Here's more. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/18/22 5:33 p.m.

I think I shared this one already, but a few years ago I bought a used Boss tuner from Steely Dan's Jon Herington.

One day he tweeted that he had some gear to sell–some high-end guitars plus some other equipment, including three Boss tuners. I bought the one showing the most battle damage. It also had the lowest price–like $35, which seemed very fair. 

The other day I was watching his Rig Rundown from 2011.

And, hey, I think that's my tuner.

Screen shot:

Photo of mine:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PiRxW2hJmYxk7FPj08h5t5xAbrEy8B9VRmTfp9Z9CmgzzSQZ0wEYZPobMUWx6vqM