Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/26/22 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Now I sort of want the guitar version, that's cool

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/26/22 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, they look pretty; especially in tequila sunrise...

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
3/26/22 11:38 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Agreed

4/13/22 9:59 p.m.

Got 2 Harley Benton guitars, well....one is a bass technically, but wow! These are great, the black strat cost a whole $99 too and has actives. The Bass VI is stupendously better than the Squier I have too.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/13/22 10:29 p.m.

Score!

4/13/22 11:12 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Score!

This is my 3rd and 4th Harley Bentons, I'm amazed at how much you can get for so little money from them.

$99 for a flawless b stock with active pickups? That's amazing

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/26/22 11:57 p.m.

My new piccolo acoustic that I apparently really needed. All of this started because I wanted a decent acoustic and now I've bought a bari and a piccolo....but no standard acoustic.

Also since I'm apparently the weirdest guitarist ever I've decided that I needed to downtune it right away for a more brutal tone/ so I can actually bend the strings without ripping off flesh. I have also threatened to wear it in aback sheath on stage so I can rip it out like I'm drawing a huge broadsword on stage for a ripping acoustic guitar solo. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/27/22 6:18 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Please do that, while announcing "By the Power of Greyskull" or something similar. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/27/22 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Interesting... what do you have it tuned to?  After a bit of Google-fu, it appears a piccolo guitar is normally tuned to A and then std 4ths. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/27/22 9:58 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Antihero :

Please do that, while announcing "By the Power of Greyskull" or something similar. 

I like your line of thinking and applaud it

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/27/22 10:02 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Antihero :

Interesting... what do you have it tuned to?  After a bit of Google-fu, it appears a piccolo guitar is normally tuned to A and then std 4ths. 

I downtune it a whole step and it really makes the guitar way better imo. It uses 10-47s and isn't the most fun to play with tiny frets and high tension although it sounds interesting. Now I can actually bend the wound g and it sounds kinda..... melancholy?

Now all I have to do is get a pickup for it, heavily distort it and see how chuggy I can make it sound

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/27/22 12:13 p.m.
Antihero said:

Now all I have to do is get a pickup for it, heavily distort it and see how chuggy I can make it sound

I literally just popped in here to say this...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/27/22 12:47 p.m.
Antihero said:

In reply to Antihero :

I downtune it a whole step and it really makes the guitar way better imo. It uses 10-47s and isn't the most fun to play with tiny frets and high tension although it sounds interesting. Now I can actually bend the wound g and it sounds kinda..... melancholy?

Ibanez? 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/27/22 2:53 p.m.
mtn said:
Antihero said:

In reply to Antihero :

Ibanez? 

Yes it is

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/1/22 10:42 a.m.

Well that was unexpected...

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/1/22 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

It's an interesting test. Of note, I watched on my iPhone with no headphones, so I can't claim to have the clearest audio. That said, his last back to back test still has a discernable tone difference, but it's not huge. My only complaint is his "air guitar" test. He bolted the strings to wood, and bolted the bench and table together with more wood. Effectively making a large body out of wood. Like a harp. Guaranteed, hit those strings and you'd feel the vibrations in both ends and in the lumber joining them. A better test would have each end of the strings anchored to the outside walls instead and to minimize the mass of each bench. 

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/2/22 10:05 a.m.

For all of the Fender heads out there, just came across this auction announcement - https://www.invaluable.com/catalog/ii82uwhvc0 (I get e-mail alerts for certain categories of auctions)

Looks like a liquidation auction of a pretty big Fender guitar, amp, and parts collection (there are also some non-Fender items, effects pedals, and advertising/memorabilia items). Some interesting items, too, like the custom-built Eddie Van Halen Doubleneck, a Fender Coranado, and a semi-hollow-body Telecaster...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/2/22 10:16 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Javelin :

It's an interesting test. Of note, I watched on my iPhone with no headphones, so I can't claim to have the clearest audio. That said, his last back to back test still has a discernable tone difference, but it's not huge. My only complaint is his "air guitar" test. He bolted the strings to wood, and bolted the bench and table together with more wood. Effectively making a large body out of wood. Like a harp. Guaranteed, hit those strings and you'd feel the vibrations in both ends and in the lumber joining them. A better test would have each end of the strings anchored to the outside walls instead and to minimize the mass of each bench. 

I mostly agree with his test regarding pickups being nearly all of the sonic information for an electric guitar. That said, I thing a semi-hollow guitar does sound different than a solid body, even with the same pickups.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/2/22 10:55 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

It was a good test. And it makes sense. It's an electronic signal created by moving steel through a magnetic field. Put the steel farther into that field and you'll get more output and a wider overall frequency range. And as far as the test goes, what he's implying is correct. Wood won't effect the "tone" created in that magnetic field, or more accurately it won't affect the frequencies created. It will effect the amplitude of some of those frequencies and it'll change the rate at which they'll rise and fall. In simpler terms, the lumber will alter the sustain of certain frequencies more than anything, and usually the attack. The lumber effects how the strings CONTINUE to vibrate after the initial strike. 

One thing that is actually huge in that video is the pickup-to-string distance. So so so many folks I've talked to don't ever mess with it. And I've known a few very well regarded luthiers who refuse to experiment, "Those pickups need to be exactly 7/64 away from the strings." On most humbuckers you can eve adjust the individual pole screws for each string, at least on one coil. And if anyone here hasn't played through a quality P90 equipped guitar, holy cow are they responsive to picking style and attack. 

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/2/22 12:31 p.m.
Antihero said:

My new piccolo acoustic that I apparently really needed. All of this started because I wanted a decent acoustic and now I've bought a bari and a piccolo....but no standard acoustic.

Also since I'm apparently the weirdest guitarist ever I've decided that I needed to downtune it right away for a more brutal tone/ so I can actually bend the strings without ripping off flesh. I have also threatened to wear it in aback sheath on stage so I can rip it out like I'm drawing a huge broadsword on stage for a ripping acoustic guitar solo.

When I took guitar lessons in high school, my teacher had a piccolo and baritone guitar, along with a 10-string acoustic. Me, a friend, and my teacher used to play Bach organ fugues as a trio - piccolo guitar for the upper register, the pedal lines on the baritone guitar, and my teacher would handle both middle staves on the 10-string. Wish I had recorded it - sounded pretty cool...

jh36
jh36 Dork
5/28/22 8:08 a.m.
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/28/22 10:50 a.m.
jh36 said:

https://www.kcra.com/article/gibson-guitar-company-wins-lawsuit-over-guitar-shapes/40130057

FYI 

Well that's going to have some interesting implications. There's a LOT of Strat and Tele shaped guitars. And Les Paul shaped...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/28/22 12:39 p.m.

Bringing back a conversation from the other day regarding guitar tone, Paul Reed Smith has published these videos:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/28/22 12:42 p.m.
jh36 said:

https://www.kcra.com/article/gibson-guitar-company-wins-lawsuit-over-guitar-shapes/40130057

FYI 

Hadn't heard that. I have a Dean V acoustic, but it's been living with a friend for years. (He has a V ukulele, so it seemed appropriate.)

jh36
jh36 Dork
5/28/22 2:12 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I think it just went down. I got the word this morning from Judy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aS8JYSirWTQiWIxRqAZjWNeebaZvjs2zHh36Gt8403qnPDyCOYA1rCDvtN59CSfr