David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/22 9:09 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

So now my V-acoustic is collectible. (Also, thanks to the small sound chamber, it's not exactly a resonate guitar.)

Also, also, Judy knows all. :)

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan New Reader
6/2/22 2:17 p.m.

Can't get a pic but I got a Les Paul Special-I unfortunately the input jack broke and I lost the cover for the input so I'm trying to get around to fixing it

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/9/22 12:34 a.m.

Couple weeks ago I sold my Alesis electronic drum kit and all the associated hoopla. I mentioned to a musician friend that I was just sitting on the money for when we get out of this apartment and I could get a regular set. He goes "just buy mine. Been sitting in the garage for years since we went all electric." 

Well, you can't turn down this deal. 

It's old and seen some miles, but not bad at all. 4 piece, 10" 14" 20" birch/mahogany with a junk steel snare and zildjain zbt symbols. $100. You can't pass on that deal. The heads are even still good. The high hat stand and bass pedal leave a lot to be desired, but I'm not too fussed. Also, transparent green. So that's neat. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/9/22 8:56 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I have a Sessions Select snare that I bought back in the 90's real cheap from Guitar Center. It was part of a shell pack, and someone opted out of buying the snare, so they had it on mega clearance. Ended up being my main snare for years. Those are great drums! Hell of a deal! 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/22 9:34 a.m.

Wow, that's a score!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/9/22 11:45 a.m.

I have a Sessions Select snare that I bought back in the 90's real cheap from Guitar Center. It was part of a shell pack, and someone opted out of buying the snare, so they had it on mega clearance. Ended up being my main snare for years. Those are great drums! Hell of a deal! 

barefootcyborg5000
6/9/22 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

This is a Pearl snare, but it's like a marching band snare. Possible I can tweak/tune it to acceptable, but I'm in no rush. Can't play these in my apartment anyway, so I have at least 6 months to put it all together. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/10/22 6:15 p.m.

Marching snare are usually loud as berkeley so that's interesting.

Personally I want to get the 6x28 gong snare someday, but used and about a tenth of the price new.

barefootcyborg5000
6/10/22 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I'm not exactly sure what this one is. Steel, smooth sides, 5.5x14 at a guess. Maybe 6. I swear it said Pearl but I may be wrong. I'll have to look when I get home. 
There was a ZBT China in the brass. I commented something like "This is probably the trashiest sounding symbol ever made.." and my guy says "No, that's the second trashiest. The worst is that ZBT ride." So we had a good laugh. I'm honestly not even a drummer. Not sure how I ended up being such a symbol snob. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/10/22 6:45 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

I'm not exactly sure what this one is. Steel, smooth sides, 5.5x14 at a guess. Maybe 6. I swear it said Pearl but I may be wrong. I'll have to look when I get home. 
There was a ZBT China in the brass. I commented something like "This is probably the trashiest sounding symbol ever made.." and my guy says "No, that's the second trashiest. The worst is that ZBT ride." So we had a good laugh. I'm honestly not even a drummer. Not sure how I ended up being such a symbol snob. 

Zbts are pretty bad overall, I had a crash that made crash sounds but not great at all. I'm actually using an aluminum ride that's berkeleying spectacular, so maybe I'm just weird

barefootcyborg5000
6/10/22 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Aluminum? Never heard of such a thing. I'm drooling over K darks right now, and I used to have a set of 14" A custom hats that I should have kept. And I want a wood snare, maybe maple, maybe something darker. Wish there was a big retailer close so I could try things out. Maybe I can re-skin this steel thing and tune it into acceptable. Time will tell. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/10/22 6:51 p.m.

And showing that a&f is a weird as hell company, a 4x6 snare.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/10/22 6:55 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Aluminum? Never heard of such a thing. I'm drooling over K darks right now, and I used to have a set of 14" A custom hats that I should have kept. And I want a wood snare, maybe maple, maybe something darker. Wish there was a big retailer close so I could try things out. Maybe I can re-skin this steel thing and tune it into acceptable. Time will tell. 

It's called a Gothic Radius, the one I'm using is a 26 inch but they make a 22, 23, and a 20. I have a 22 and just sold a 20. Literally the best washy ride ever.

barefootcyborg5000
6/10/22 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Mmmm. Meinl. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/10/22 6:59 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Mmmm. Meinl. 

I'm a huge fan of that crash. It mixes very well with the Murat Duril and Duril crashes I have on the set 

The big bell ride was kind of a whim, it's the polar opposite of the Gothic really

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/10/22 7:00 p.m.

Also mapex makes a pretty cheap 8x14 maple snare that I've been very impressed with. They are like....$129? new

barefootcyborg5000
6/10/22 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I see the MPX maple 5.5x14 for $129. Tempted by the Pearl modern utility too. I'm not buying yet though so I can keep an eye for deals. A good snare and hats really make or break a kit. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/10/22 7:43 p.m.

This the one I have, although mines natural colored.

Mapex snare

barefootcyborg5000
6/11/22 12:51 a.m.

Yup. Whatever this is. 

That mapex looks real good. A pity they don't have an option between 5.5 and 8 though. Also apparently you can't get the 8 in a natural finish. Boo. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/11/22 1:08 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Yup. Whatever this is. 

That mapex looks real good. A pity they don't have an option between 5.5 and 8 though. Also apparently you can't get the 8 in a natural finish. Boo. 

You used to be able to, maybe a used option?

barefootcyborg5000
6/16/22 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Really torn on that snare. $129 is nice but I can't find any videos with good audio. My main contender is a Tama Artwood, (maple, not birch) but they're twice the money. There's a nice looking 13x6.5 used for $200 on reverb. Maybe I make an offer for 150. Idk. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/16/22 5:21 p.m.

Do you have any local drum shops nearby? How about a Music Go Round? If so, peruse the used section. Deals can be had. 

The 6.5x14 maple snare that's been my mainstay for years now was a $179 used purchase from a local shop. It was made by a now-defunct local builder called Magstar Drums. It sports a Keller 10-ply, 45 degree bearing cut shell with Pearl hardware and a Pearl throw-off so it's serviceable. I'd put this thing up against anything made by anyone; it sounds amazing in every setting from Jazz to Death Metal. I ended up meeting the guy who made it, who just happened to be in the shop at the time of purchase, and it was so good that I was planning on commissioning an entire kit to go with it. Unfortunately, he moved to Nashville and shut down his business to work for another drum manufacturer before I could get an order in. 

But the point is, there's lots of local, boutique manufacturers out there, and you may just stumble upon gold in a shop for a steal!  

barefootcyborg5000
6/16/22 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Unfortunately I don't have anything like that in my little town. There's 4 music shops, two are exclusively guitar shops, and one is just school band rentals and orchestra. The one full service shop is actually really good, and they're able to match deals on anything I order as well as being a GC satellite and can get me stuff straight from the warehouse in Vegas. They have two used snares right now, one is way out of range and the other is a ddrum reflex that doesn't fit my needs. 

From my experience and research, I'm stuck on maple. I'm just having a hard time justifying a $250 drum for a $100 kit. First world problems  

I did find another hot deal on a not-played kit with zildjian cymbals of some flavor. Hopefully I can get some pictures this weekend and if they're decent I'll buy the whole (poplar) kit, swap brass, and resell at a profit. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/16/22 11:02 p.m.

I just realized I've added a few new pedals to my collection.  

Fuzzrocious Afterlife delay 

Fuzzrocious Ultrapush fuzz/dirt box. Limited production pedal I bought at a local brewery 10th anniversary party. 

Back Country Customs Laney TI-Boost. A copy of  Toni Iommi's modified  Range Master  Treble Boost.

MXR 10 band EQ

Part of the party was a show.  The  headline band was the  Screaming Females.  Marissa P is the most incredible guitar player I've heard in ages.  Amazing player.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/16/22 11:51 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Really torn on that snare. $129 is nice but I can't find any videos with good audio. My main contender is a Tama Artwood, (maple, not birch) but they're twice the money. There's a nice looking 13x6.5 used for $200 on reverb. Maybe I make an offer for 150. Idk. 

Let me see if I have a decent recording up, it was the one used on the Interstellar Sledgehammer recordings I posted. It's also a very simple recording so it's a good idea of what it sounds like live 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w1Pyur2oB56ofe24p5Z3KNYoP62fwgDstPItMmu6NvpmNtkdMY85XHyL0qDgn3pi