Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/25/22 5:08 p.m.

Pedal board first pass. Not sure about the Whammy pedal, mostly due to the power requirements as it needs a dedicated power supply since the 750ma requirement is more than the pedal power brick I have can support. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
12/25/22 7:00 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Check it out, Guys!!!

U basses are awesome, they sound remarkably close to a standup too somehow

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
12/25/22 7:01 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Pedal board first pass. Not sure about the Whammy pedal, mostly due to the power requirements as it needs a dedicated power supply since the 750ma requirement is more than the pedal power brick I have can support. 

Iommi pedal FTW!

How do you like the June 60?

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
12/25/22 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

It's a ridiculous amount of fun in such a small package. Unplugged, the tone is very smooth and mellow. Also, a leather ukulele plectrum works wonderfully for playing metal.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
12/25/22 7:11 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Antihero :

It's a ridiculous amount of fun in such a small package. Unplugged, the tone is very smooth and mellow. Also, a leather ukulele plectrum works wonderfully for playing metal.

Congratulations, I think every bass player should have one.

The one I got my dad is made by Caramel? I think and it's ridiculously fun. Wait until you plug it in, it would probably work spectacular in an acoustic gig

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
12/25/22 7:45 p.m.

I'm not a pedal guy, but I'm excited about this:

Its just an overdrive, but it should be fun and add a bit of that extra something. Gotta get out the soldering stuff and get to work. The enclosure is unfinished. It comes with a decal that looks like the illustration, but I may paint something else. We'll see. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
12/25/22 9:00 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Nice!!!

barefootcyborg5000
12/25/22 10:56 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I've had my eye on it for a while. Long enough for wife to notice and surprise me. The manufacturer provides sound clips for all the different models, and I liked this one best. Reviews say less than an hour to assemble, but I'm fairly sure I'll take longer just on the finish. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
12/26/22 12:24 a.m.

Life is so much better with fuzz.

barefootcyborg5000
12/26/22 1:50 a.m.

I got excited. 
I'll take the guts out to finish the casing later. 

Only now the kids are asleep so I can't plug it in. Maybe tomorrow. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/26/22 9:47 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

Yup. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
12/26/22 1:33 p.m.

Ohmygosh this U bass is soooo much fun! Should've bought one of these years ago. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
12/26/22 7:59 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Yes, although you do have much less money. 

Fuzz is addictive 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/26/22 11:48 p.m.

Putting this out for those in Central Florida: The Orlando International Guitar and Music Expo takes place February 3-5, 2023, so the weekend after the Rolex. 

I plan on being there. 

barefootcyborg5000
12/27/22 10:49 p.m.

I could have done something fancy, and I suppose I still could, but I'll choose to be satisfied. 

I don't know if I did something wrong. I triple checked my work. I had three other not-unintelligent people check my work. There's 4 places the instructions say to check VDC before use. Three of them were right on. The last is supposed to measure 3.2V. I measure 5.4. With three different meters. Eh. I'm betting most folks never check, so I decided to just run it. 

I should have gotten an OD a long time ago. it sounds great. Adds a certain thiccness. If you've never built a pedal and want to try, you could do much worse for $30. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/28/22 3:00 p.m.

I decided to get back into guitar this Christmas with an Ibanez that I found on Facebook. Fun fact: the previous owner bought it in India.

Black Ibanez strat with Crate amp

After seeing that, my daughter decided to use her Christmas money to buy a Laurel Canyon acoustic.

Kid's nylon string acoustic

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
12/28/22 3:39 p.m.
Antihero said:
Recon1342 said:

Yes, although you do have much less money. 

Fuzz is addictive 

Indeed. My old bass player has more fuzz pedals than most guitar stores.  The irony there being he doesn't use any pedals (other than a tuner) when he plays live. Just his bass into an amp. 

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
12/29/22 4:03 p.m.

Latest addition: Fender Tony Franklin model. Basically a USA precision bass with unlined ebony board and an extra DiMarzio bridge pickup.  

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
12/29/22 4:18 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

Ooo that's nice.

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/30/22 8:43 p.m.

I went and jumped in the deep end. This is a rabbit hole. The pedal steel makes cool sounds but a lot of moving parts. It will take some time for me to get my head around it, but it's pretty amazing. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/30/22 8:46 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Hmmmm...well, I'm planning to be at the Rolex so I'm checking the schedule. Thanks for the tip!

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
1/6/23 9:46 p.m.

I have bought this weird ride because I like the hi hats of the same company. Somehow it's probably one of the better crashes I've heard and is tuned to my 14 inch floor tom/room so it sustains foooooorrrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeerrrrrr.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
1/7/23 1:39 p.m.

I already have more guitar amp heads than I have room for, but when I saw this Vox AC30CH at the local Guitar Center here in NH for a shockingly good price (plus no sales tax), I had to get it.  Plus,  I've wanted to add an AC30 style amp (head or combo) to my collection for years. 

It's a modern version with an effects loop. What made it so cheap (less than half current Reverb used prices) is the  attenuation control doesn't work. 

Now it will sit in my hotel room until I go home in a couple of weeks. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/7/23 2:50 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

I got excited. 
I'll take the guts out to finish the casing later. 

Only now the kids are asleep so I can't plug it in. Maybe tomorrow. 

I didn't realize homemade effects pedals were that straightforward.  Now I might have to get a Digikey order together...

barefootcyborg5000
1/7/23 5:12 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

This one is a kit from Mod Electronics. They have good customer service, but more importantly each different model has sound clips on the page. The thunderdrive is the easiest and cheapest.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wwgtE4COMAnkfcrqg6UyqdL7aMnu3ZPpALhUDrJT53AvRVi32qjgfYA8YiyXrY73