Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/5/23 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I hear ya...  Another option I was recently reminded of is the Boss Waza Air headphone amp.  Unfortunately, it is also not really a budget option either.  However, from what I've read it is the headphone amp that feels the most like playing a real amp in a room, with it's 3D spatial algorithms - when you move your head, the sound seems to move to where you have virtually placed the amp.  

Right now, I'm using an older Roland Cube Street amp in my hotel room.  It's a modeling style amp with acceptable sounds and it's wedge shaped, so the speakers are pointed directly at me so I don't need much in the way of volume to hear the guitar.  However, it's still hard to play along to video lessons while hearing clearly and without too much volume. Something like the Waza Air is designed more for that. Plus, it's one less "thing" I have to haul around since it should easily fit in my suitcase. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/15/23 4:51 p.m.

Anyone know any tricks to keep a neck from twisting? My beloved Gretsch Jr jet is starting to go. It was a $250 guitar 25 years ago, it doesn't owe me anything and the electronics are still good, but it isn't worth trying to replace the neck... It stays on a stand in my bedroom, no temperature or humidity swings. Just started buzzing the other day, close inspections show a hint of twist  

I think if it needs replaced, it'll have to be a standard tele. Black/white or all black. Idk. I can't afford a replacement right now anyway without selling a rifle or something. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/16/23 10:57 p.m.

This sexy beast is on its way to me as long as Fed Ex doesn't destroy it. I is excite.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/17/23 9:03 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Rondo has really stepped up their game over the last several years. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/17/23 9:19 p.m.

Went to Philly to see a band and got a new bass - DiPinto Galaxie Safari. Met the man himself, and he was awesome. 

So, of course, I had to update the family bass photo. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/17/23 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

That thing is cool as hell. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/18/23 9:29 a.m.

DiPinto guitars are cool.  I know a few people who have them.

I was in the local NH guitar store and they had a somewhat rare solid body I'd never heard of.  Lowden Guitars, who is known more for acoustics (Ed Sheeran has a signature model). But he has been making a small amount of high end custom solid bodies with a Les Paul flair. I'm also a sucker for a no-inlay fretboard. 

It's thinner than a typical Les Paul and the pots have a more Strat like layout.  The wood detailing is amazing. Just absolutely perfect fitment of all cover plates. The bridge is slightly recessed, so it gives the guitar an almost Fender feel. 

The price wasn't cheap, but far less than any other examples I see for sale.  Great action and sound.  I look forward to hearing it through my amps at home. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/18/23 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

That's nice, and I don't think I've ever seen one in real life

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/18/23 2:45 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Antihero :

They really have, I kinda lost track of them for years.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/18/23 6:46 p.m.
Antihero said:

In reply to Antihero :

I check their site a couple times per year just to see if they have any short-scale lefty basses I can't live without, but fortunately they've not had many offerings in quite a while. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/18/23 7:03 p.m.
Antihero said:

In reply to Antihero :

I check their site a couple times per year just to see if they have any short-scale lefty basses I can't live without, but fortunately they've not had many offerings in quite a while. 

Supposedly they are basically going under. He's had a hell of a time getting  parts and has been trying to sell it for 5 years

barefootcyborg5000
5/18/23 9:04 p.m.

Dropped my Gretsch with a friend that has the whole stewmac toolset. I hope it is salvageable, but if not I'm pretty set on a MiM tele or a P90 equipped LP studio. Tele is more versatile, and maybe I build a high end kit instead, since I don't think I could find a maple neck with no markers. It has to be no markers or big MoP blocks. Full throttle or full brakes, as it were. No mid-corner moderation. Anyone have a good kit they'd recommend? I'm no stranger to the process, but I want a commercial-quality finished project. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/18/23 11:33 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Dropped my Gretsch with a friend that has the whole stewmac toolset. I hope it is salvageable, but if not I'm pretty set on a MiM tele or a P90 equipped LP studio. Tele is more versatile, and maybe I build a high end kit instead, since I don't think I could find a maple neck with no markers. It has to be no markers or big MoP blocks. Full throttle or full brakes, as it were. No mid-corner moderation. Anyone have a good kit they'd recommend? I'm no stranger to the process, but I want a commercial-quality finished project. 

Take a look at GuitarFetish stuff, they usually have loads of kits and pieces

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/19/23 7:38 a.m.
Antihero said:

Thanks. That was partly why I bought it.  This one is apparently #22 and I get the impression he doesn't make many solid bodies. I've managed to score some really obscure gear from this store. I often say to myself, "I have no idea what this is, but I'm pretty sure I'll never see another one...  so I'm buying it..."  That reasoning added a few pedals and a somewhat rare Motion Sound Pro 3 Leslie-type unit.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/19/23 10:44 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
Antihero said:

Thanks. That was partly why I bought it.  This one is apparently #22 and I get the impression he doesn't make many solid bodies. I've managed to score some really obscure gear from this store. I often say to myself, "I have no idea what this is, but I'm pretty sure I'll never see another one...  so I'm buying it..."  That reasoning added a few pedals and a somewhat rare Motion Sound Pro 3 Leslie-type unit.

And......funny enough one pops up on my local craigslist.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/23/23 11:41 p.m.

The finish is even sexier than I had hoped, ignore the dusty guitar case behind it and the fact I haven't even pulled off the pickup plastic. 

Plays spectacular too

barefootcyborg5000
5/23/23 11:55 p.m.

I put my explorer in D standard and played last night for longer than I remember playing in a long time. It's such a ripping guitar, and all my drum practice has sped up my picking hand considerably. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/24/23 12:10 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Looks great. I really want a p90 guitar in my life. They're just so responsive to pick attack, super expressive. And the minimalist look is super appealing. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/24/23 12:19 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Looks great. I really want a p90 guitar in my life. They're just so responsive to pick attack, super expressive. And the minimalist look is super appealing. 

I don't know how long those will be around, he only had 1 in stock when I bought and will apparently go under soon 

I love p90s and I gave quite a few guitars with them , even metal pointy guitars like this

barefootcyborg5000
5/24/23 2:00 a.m.

Also been obsessing over a possible Gretsch replacement. It'll be a white on white on Berking WHITE tele. Think like the John5 sig, but with traditional pickup layout, chrome hardware but the control plate in gold. Unmarked maple neck, or white dots, stripped to bare grain and stained white. White bridge pickup. As polar opposite from my gothic explorer as possible. 

Undecided on headstock. Likely plain. Not sure how I'll afford such an animal at the moment, but it's going to be glorious. John5 sig for reference:

*edit because I just noticed the pickup switch is a stroke of genius. Brilliant. I'll be ripping that off. 

*double edit because p90 neck pickup might be a boss move. I can see it now. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/24/23 7:49 a.m.

John 5's collection of Telecasters is epic.  From what I've seen, he has at least one example of every model and/or year since the 1948 Broadcaster.  His switch placement is essentially the same as the Deluxe.  There are so many pick up variations across the model range these days it's mind-boggling.  You can't really go wrong with any of them, although it can turn into a rabbit hole of collecting if you want multiple options (ask me how I know...). 

I need to get off my butt and finish my parts Tele project. From what I've felt so far, it should be a fun guitar. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/24/23 9:36 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

I put my explorer in D standard and played last night for longer than I remember playing in a long time. It's such a ripping guitar, and all my drum practice has sped up my picking hand considerably. 

I spy a Goth Explorer wearing a disguise! I absolutely love mine, but it does need some work. I can't quite get the A string to stop buzzing at the first fret. I think the neck needs some tweaking. Otherwise, it sounds great and is a lot of fun to play. Love the neck on that one. 

barefootcyborg5000
5/24/23 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Yes. The pickguard was sprayed by a previous owner and honestly could be done better. It looks right though. And the neck is *almost* too big for my hands but it is so good. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/24/23 11:23 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

While I'm not a fan of white on white guitars, why not go for both p90 and tele. They made these in butterscotch too but a quick paint job wouldn't be insanely hard. This is one of my " always says in c#" guitars

barefootcyborg5000
5/24/23 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

If it happens, there's a good chance it gets a p90 at the neck. A hot tele-style bridge pickup is a big part of the equation though. C# sounds about right. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tBGPLkuYrBY3LZlOzoqt3XvY02jjA1g9BRTkweQpKhIo5ON8R36tFeDEOffkWA4g