1 2 3 4 5
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/16/12 2:57 p.m.

Okay, that vending machine is pretty darn cool.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
12/16/12 4:49 p.m.

That is a cool vending machine.

So I have a EE Gretsch as a main, and really other then a Ibanez Gio that has been cut apart a few times.

Not my actual guitar, for some reason no photos.

If we are talking just instruments I am primarily a uke player and really only have Kanile'a ukes.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
12/17/12 3:45 p.m.

Weary, EE Jets are very nice. They're not particularly thick on the ground since his affiliation was pretty short-lived. At least the pro-lines aren't. The Electros show up fairly often. Gretsch has some very nice ukes now, too.

Bout time someone else around here recognized the awesomeness that is Gretsch.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
12/17/12 5:01 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Weary, EE Jets are very nice. They're not particularly thick on the ground since his affiliation was pretty short-lived. At least the pro-lines aren't. The Electros show up fairly often. Gretsch has some very nice ukes now, too. Bout time someone else around here recognized the awesomeness that is Gretsch.

I actually almost nabbed an Easton Jet this weekend, in looking for an Electromatic Duo Jet. I dig the green, but couldn't stomach the gold hardware...

I have a silver Duo Jet winging its way to me now. Pics on arrival (not that it looks any different from any other silver Duo Jet)

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/17/12 9:02 p.m.

Ever since I fixed up my Jackson back to playable status, I have been playing it daily. The thing seriously plays great. I adjusted the pickups so they are closer to the strings and it has more crunch to it and sounds better. I still need to get tuners, but since it has the Floyd Rose and the lock nut, it has stayed in tune.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
12/17/12 10:01 p.m.
ransom wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: Weary, EE Jets are very nice. They're not particularly thick on the ground since his affiliation was pretty short-lived. At least the pro-lines aren't. The Electros show up fairly often. Gretsch has some very nice ukes now, too. Bout time someone else around here recognized the awesomeness that is Gretsch.
I actually almost nabbed an Easton Jet this weekend, in looking for an Electromatic Duo Jet. I dig the green, but couldn't stomach the gold hardware... I have a silver Duo Jet winging its way to me now. Pics on arrival (not that it looks any different from any other silver Duo Jet)

If you get the non pro model the gold wears off with just a bit of polish. You can actually make it look a big relic'd if you wish though that is not my bag. The standard model with the better pickups is a wicked guitar and just as good as the pro if you dig the caddi green.

But it seems like you got what you wanted, and the silver flake is really cool.

My pro EE is a log though, its 13.5 lb's I think. I actually had to get a better strap at one point.

I really want a older fireglow, or a koa Taylor thinline.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
12/17/12 11:22 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

Good to know. That gives me a small pang, but I think I'll be happier with the silver, really. Fingers crossed it's as-described and not an eBay horror story...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
12/18/12 9:59 a.m.

I started playing bass sin college on an Ibanez TR70 that i painted flat auto primer gray with handpainted flames and ran hot rod parts stickers down the back of the body. It was stoled while on loan to my BiL, I wish I had pics.

My current bass is a 78 Fender Pbass. I'm the second owner, and I bought it with the original case for what the original owner paid for it - $450.

This is not mine, but it looks just like this. Well, almost, mine's in a little better shape..

I play through a late 90s Fender BXR60 amp, a single 60 watt that kind of sucks tone wise, and as Zoom Multi Effects pedal that almost but not quite gets me the sound I want. One day when I start playing regularly again I'll be hunting down a late 70s Fender blackface or silverface amp and a 4x10 cab. I've played over one and that's the tone I want - low, warm, round. They were built to go together.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/20/12 10:46 a.m.

So, I identified what this is.

It's a mid-late 60's-early 70's Kingston 3/4 scale bass. Essentially, it's worthless, so I'm going to fix it up on the cheap. I'll find some cheapo tuners (maybe from someone else's throwaway project) and a bridge and slap it together for fun. It does have a cool, vintage growl to it though.

There's one in pristine condition on my local craigslist for $300.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
12/20/12 11:00 a.m.
ransom wrote: In reply to wearymicrobe: Good to know. That gives me a small pang, but I think I'll be happier with the silver, really. Fingers crossed it's as-described and not an eBay horror story...

They are pretty much indestructible. I doubt you could smash one to bit's or even hurt it to much short of smashing it onstage over and over again.

This thread has me digging through Craigslist though as I want a good nylon string guitar.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/20/12 11:07 a.m.

Also...

What is the deal with the Fender P-Bass? I had a P-bass copy at one point and I hated the thing. It sounded terrible and played even worse. The best part was that the magnets in the pickup would randomly fall out.

Do I need to pick up and play a real Fender one to understand the big deal is surrounding these?

I loves me some Jazz Bass though. The affordable one that I covet right now is the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. I actually went to buy one once, but came home with a Warwick for the same money. I played one last time I went to GC and fell in love all over again. I'm waiting for one to pop up cheap on Craigslist.

David S. Wallens
12/20/12 11:07 a.m.

Not that I'm shopping, but I was at our local shop last night. They have a jade green Les Paul Studio that is just stunning. Not sure why it hasn't found a new home yet.

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
12/20/12 12:40 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

I wouldn't play a Fender bass if it was free. I don't like the necks or the sound.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/20/12 3:08 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: I wouldn't play a Fender bass if it was free. I don't like the necks or the sound.

+1. I've played plenty, but I just don't like them.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
12/20/12 3:52 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: In other news, I replied to a CL ad yesterday looking for someone to jam with and now on Sunday I will be playing with someone besides myself for the first time in probably 15 years. Kinda stoked / nervous...

it'll be fun if you remember to take your sense of humor with you. you know, the one that led to the herpes blues jam at the mitty a couple years ago. good times indeed.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
12/20/12 4:00 p.m.

In reply to alex:

you should occasionally run a "vintage guitars wanted" ad on CL with pix of the ones that got stolen. i remember you posting when it happened. i think it's been long enough ago that they've probably changed hands a couple times and perhaps the current possessor would not even know that it / they are stolen. who knows, you might get one or more of them back.

David S. Wallens
12/20/12 5:43 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
petegossett wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: I wouldn't play a Fender bass if it was free. I don't like the necks or the sound.
+1. I've played plenty, but I just don't like them.

Funny, I played a Fender acoustic bass and loved it. One day I'll have to get me one of those.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
12/20/12 6:35 p.m.

Just snapped a pic especially for this thread.

Same stuff I've had since the dawn of time (or 15-22 years, depending)

'93 Les Paul Special--'62 reissue, #6 of 300 (as if that means anything). Stuck a Duncan strat humbucker in the bridge position because the P90 was useless on a stage--SO noisy. It didn't change the tone of the guitar, which was nice. Still very punchy mid-range like a P90 guitar should sound

'74 SG Standard--had this since '91. Nice, ballsy-bottom end on it. A beautiful smooth tone clean or distorted. Nice, narrow neck for my short fingers, too.

50 Watt Marshall JCM800 head

Peavey 2x12 cab

40 Watt Fender Mustang II combo--I'll use this to go and jam with people. WAY easier to lug around than the 16-ton Marshall setup. Sounds astonishingly good, too--and I hate digital stuff.

A plethora of old stompboxes and a few new.

David S. Wallens
12/21/12 12:02 a.m.

Is that a Phase Shifter in the middle? I have one and admit that I really haven't figured out a good use for it.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
12/21/12 7:08 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Is that a Phase Shifter in the middle? I have one and admit that I really haven't figured out a good use for it.

"Ain't Talkin Bout Love"

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
12/21/12 9:26 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
ransom wrote:
I actually almost nabbed an Easton Jet this weekend, in looking for an Electromatic Duo Jet. I dig the green, but couldn't stomach the gold hardware... I have a silver Duo Jet winging its way to me now. Pics on arrival (not that it looks any different from any other silver Duo Jet)
If you get the non pro model the gold wears off with just a bit of polish. You can actually make it look a big relic'd if you wish though that is not my bag. The standard model with the better pickups is a wicked guitar and just as good as the pro if you dig the caddi green. But it seems like you got what you wanted, and the silver flake is really cool. My pro EE is a log though, its 13.5 lb's I think. I actually had to get a better strap at one point. I really want a older fireglow, or a koa Taylor thinline.

You think the pro-line EEs are heavy, the Electros will kill you. They weigh a ton.

Which is funny, because historically Jets weighed about 30% less than a Les Paul (proper Jets are mostly hollow). I'd suggest one of the other Cadillac Green Jets, but none of them exactly match the EE specs (particularly the unusual 25" scale)

gamby
gamby PowerDork
12/21/12 4:39 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Is that a Phase Shifter in the middle? I have one and admit that I really haven't figured out a good use for it.

Yeah, it's an old Boss phaser. I've got a Boss Analog Delay (80's), Ibanez digital chorus (80's) a tubscreamer clone (can't remember the brand/model) a Rat2, Boss Loop Station and Boss Octave.

I'm gonna switch out the phaser for a flanger. I never use it, either. I guess I got it out of my system. I could use the flanger constantly--especially if I'm playing a lot of Catherine Wheel (and most other shoegaze-y stuff).

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
12/21/12 5:16 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote:
ransom wrote:
If you get the non pro model the gold wears off with just a bit of polish. You can actually make it look a big relic'd if you wish though that is not my bag. The standard model with the better pickups is a wicked guitar and just as good as the pro if you dig the caddi green. But it seems like you got what you wanted, and the silver flake is really cool. My pro EE is a log though, its 13.5 lb's I think. I actually had to get a better strap at one point. I really want a older fireglow, or a koa Taylor thinline.
You think the pro-line EEs are heavy, the Electros will kill you. They weigh a ton. Which is funny, because historically Jets weighed about 30% less than a Les Paul (proper Jets are mostly hollow). I'd suggest one of the other Cadillac Green Jets, but none of them exactly match the EE specs (particularly the unusual 25" scale)

I got it for the scale, the greens are definitely different across the lines and the caddy green is just a shade or two different between the duo jet EE model and the pro.

enough about that. Does anybody here have a Rick fireglow 6/12 and want to comment.

David S. Wallens
12/21/12 7:38 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
"Ain't Talkin Bout Love"

Thanks.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
12/21/12 8:58 p.m.

Grumble grumble.

My Gretsch, which was theoretically to arrive today, hasn't apparently moved from the sorting facility in Salt Lake City it arrived at on Tuesday.

While the delivery date is apparently missed, I don't know whether the tracking is more or less broken than the actual delivery.

Usually USPS tracking is just "is it already there?" I was so excited that this one actually started showing steps the day the guitar shipped...

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YQwM5GVqZx3knpIj03XeyPg9mO57XN59Mzd1JAvwGKiGar5XEfprzVpC2BhBpZbE