jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/30/21 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks Pete, and hi Paul_VR6.  Full disclosure, this (PRS) is a company I am part of.  

There is a youtube video we did about 2 years ago that sums up what we are striving for in these guitars. 

(EDIT..search YOUTUBE PRS SE Factory Tour) 

Our marketing team was able to take my ramblings and turn it into something that made some sense.  In short, we look at the PRS SE series as a place to take what we've learned here in Maryland for almost 40 years and apply that in a way that opens up the door to the PRS home a little wider. A lot of us started playing on pretty awful cheap instruments and our goal is to make inspirational gear at every price point.  We like making stuff.  The name of the game is always keep learning, and then teach what you have learned.

That said, you have to follow your heart, hands and ears to your instruments.  There are quite a few options inside of the SE range...If you have any detailed questions, feel free to PM me and I'm happy to chat.  I'm hoping this doesn't sound like a pitch.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/30/21 1:31 p.m.
jh36 said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks Pete, and hi Paul_VR6.  Full disclosure, this (PRS) is a company I am part of.  

There is a youtube video we did about 2 years ago that sums up what we are striving for in these guitars.  Our marketing team was able to take my ramblings and turn it into something that made some sense.  In short, we look at the PRS SE series as a place to take what we've learned here in Maryland for almost 40 years and apply that in a way that opens up the door to the PRS home a little wider. A lot of us started playing on pretty awful cheap instruments and our goal is to make inspirational gear at every price point.  We like making stuff.  The name of the game is always keep learning, and then teach what you have learned.

That said, you have to follow your heart, hands and ears to your instruments.  There are quite a few options inside of the SE range...If you have any detailed questions, feel free to PM me and I'm happy to chat.  I'm hoping this doesn't sound like a pitch.

I'm still a newcomer but my semihollow PRS SE is a really great instrument. Thanks!

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/30/21 1:50 p.m.
jh36 said:

I'm hoping this doesn't sound like a pitch.

nope and appreciate some insight. I have been playing a long time and maybe have high expectations laugh I will shoot you a pm

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/30/21 2:32 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Glad you like it!  I really enjoy that one too..especially the piezo version.  THANKS!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/30/21 3:05 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Some of them - yes. They are a PITA to store... 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/30/21 3:49 p.m.

I picked up a couple pedals recently.  Been wanting to get a looper to experiment with and the Angry Driver seemed intriguing.  So far I am enjoying them both. 

I really miss being in a band.  Its been about 11 years since I took a job in Michigan and left my last "super serious" band. When I lived in the Mitten state I was unable to find anything that wasn't dudes wanting me to be a metronome while they did 10 minutes guitar solos without a rhythm guitar or bass player.  Since moving to PA I have barely touched the drums and mostly just play around with Garageband on an iPad.  One of my old bandmates encouraged me to post my half baked ideas so if anybody is interested you can hear the current batch of demos here. All the drums are the built in robot drummers but all the guitar/bass is me, for better or worse laugh

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/31/21 4:56 p.m.
jh36 said:

You have a pm but not sure where they go! Maybe your email?

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/1/21 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

I have absolutely no idea!  I just went into my profile and didn't see a place to set that up....and I've checked every closet for your message.

So, we're all friends here.  jhigginbotham@prsguitars.com

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
9/1/21 6:20 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I've been thinking hard about overdrives and fuzz pedals lately. My Orange has all the gain in the world, but sometimes I want to add some "atmosphere" for lack of a better word. And my Tramp is really thick and rich when pushed but it could use a little more gain. Might be time to cruise the pawn shops and music stores to see what I can find on the cheap. 

Got a tone in mind? I might be able to point you the right way.

Although if you ever run across a Zoom Power Drive for cheap.....best transparent overdrive I've ever played.

Thinking on this more, the closest example I can find of what I'm wanting to achieve is Achilles Last Stand. Maybe a hair more gain, and maybe a hair darker. Maybe that helps...

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/3/21 12:53 p.m.

Pretty well decided on an OD pedal kit. It's cheap enough, and the sound sample on the website is pretty close to what I'm after. 
https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/effects-pedal-kit-mod-kits-thunderdrive-overdrive

It may be a few weeks or more. We're trying to get into a new place. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/3/21 1:52 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Those angry drivers are niiiiiiiiice.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/3/21 5:09 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been thinking hard about overdrives and fuzz pedals lately. My Orange has all the gain in the world, but sometimes I want to add some "atmosphere" for lack of a better word. And my Tramp is really thick and rich when pushed but it could use a little more gain. Might be time to cruise the pawn shops and music stores to see what I can find on the cheap. 

Got a tone in mind? I might be able to point you the right way.

Although if you ever run across a Zoom Power Drive for cheap.....best transparent overdrive I've ever played.

Thinking on this more, the closest example I can find of what I'm wanting to achieve is Achilles Last Stand. Maybe a hair more gain, and maybe a hair darker. Maybe that helps...

I missed this when you posted it.

That's a pretty bright sort of tone, I'd probably lean towards an OCD or Tubescreamer for that sort of overdrive.

I actually have an unused OCD board around here if you want it. They are stupid simple and I literally got a 3 pack for almost nothing. Never got around to building any of them. It's yours if you want one.

9/6/21 5:51 p.m.

Anyone here from around Denton TX?

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/6/21 6:30 p.m.

Let me think on it. I'm not sure how much of a project I'm wanting to get into. I discovered a few settings on the Tramp that get pretty close to what I'm after. Close enough to satisfy until we're settled in the new place. I'll shoot you a message. 

9/7/21 12:03 a.m.

Let me think on it. I'm not sure how much of a project I'm wanting to get into. I discovered a few settings on the Tramp that get pretty close to what I'm after. Close enough to satisfy until we're settled in the new place. I'll shoot you a message. 

Sounds good, in case I don't get the message just say something here.

I remember the OCD being a pretty easy pedal. I think it was easier than the 7 min fuzz I put together.

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/11/21 3:09 p.m.

Anybody have a tele they want to unload cheap? 
Last few weeks I've been listening to a lot of stuff in drop tunings and I need to get another guitar for such duties.

My current master plan:

plus these:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/11/21 4:23 p.m.

A few weeks ago, one of my bass lessons turned to talk about effects: overdrive vs. fuzz, etc. 

You know, I told my instructor, I don't have a fuzz pedal. 

Stop by the store, he replied. I'll have something for you. 

Technically it was used but seems totally new, down to box and paperwork. And, yep, it's fuzzzy. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/21 5:42 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I have a friend with a 70's Tele Deluxe that he swapped either DiMarzio's or Duncan's back in the early 80's and it absolutely rips. 

9/11/21 6:44 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Good choice, this has been my main c#guitar for awhile. It's the older series but they are fantastic, I haven't played a new one yet

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/11/21 9:44 p.m.

Something something great minds something. All black with a maple fretboard ftmfw. 

9/11/21 10:12 p.m.

They also made a p90 version.

9/11/21 10:14 p.m.

The best heavy music tele I've played though is this. Its a set neck, carved top one.

David S. Wallens
9/11/21 10:19 p.m.

As a friend of mine says, the best caster is a Telecaster. 

9/11/21 10:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

As a friend of mine says, the best caster is a Telecaster. 

I go between Les Paul's and Teles a lot so I agree.

Also I swear the last pic wasn't taken with a potato even though it looks it

David S. Wallens
9/11/21 10:28 p.m.

The first time I picked up a Tele, I didn't care for it. It just felt too chunky. But then it clicked. I have a Mexican one--black w/maple neck--and do dig it. There's something in the simplicity, the tone, the feel. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5gaPBdQqwtsDv34VzlzjJVwaQ5vBHfczDjPEJDP1DFIOvA5H0WD7PHo0rnNcNCs1