wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
4/21/22 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Duly noted. Thanks for reviving Grammar school history memories.smiley

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/21/22 8:30 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Can we just admit that Minnesota is the southern most province of Canada?

Only if you ignore the problem that some of Ontario is south of Minnesota.    Right now, we are south of Minnesota, and just 40 miles east of here is the only southern border crossing going into Canada in the 48 states.

Looking closer at a map, it appears that Toronto is just about even with the southern border of Minnesota, and I know a huge amount of Canadians live between Windsor and Toronto- which is south of Minnesota.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 12:12 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

The entire point of West Virginia existing is that a bunch of counties in Virginia didn't agree with slavery and so separated from Virginia at the beginning of the Civil War

That is revisionist history, and has very little truth in it.

Granted, whoever wins a conflict, for right or wrong, gets to write the history books. 

W VA did split at the time you describe, but although it is popular to repeat, the why is incorrect. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 12:14 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Old adage on FL is, the farther north ya go in fl, the more southern you get. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 12:23 a.m.
Karacticus said:

Based on the Arky jokes I heard while living in Kansas, it's definitely the south. 

You know what the most popular pickup line is in Arkansas?  "Hey babe, nice tooth!"

You know what it means in Arkansas when there's the same amount of drool running out of both sides of the baby's mouth?  Trailer's level. 

One other peculiarity, but it might be more Kansas than Arkansas. The River that runs through Wichita is pro pronounced "R-Kan-sas" not "R-Kan-saw." No explanation, it just is. 

One of the guys who put the roof on our house was from Arkansas, his name was "Speedy."  My wife asked him what his give name was-- he replied "Speedy."  Speedy was also representative of why it's called a toothbrush and not a "teethbrush."

And yet, folks on here, after talking about how badly they have been treated living in the south, have told me northerners don't think southerners are stupid?

Those jokes don't describe a southern state. Just backwoods folks, typically uneducated. Met a lot of them working in many towns, north south east and west. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/22/22 2:23 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Appleseed said:

Only if you ignore the problem that some of Ontario is south of Minnesota.    Right now, we are south of Minnesota, and just 40 miles east of here is the only southern border crossing going into Canada in the 48 states.

Looking closer at a map, it appears that Toronto is just about even with the southern border of Minnesota, and I know a huge amount of Canadians live between Windsor and Toronto- which is south of Minnesota.

So we agree that Minnesota is actually part of Canada.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
4/22/22 7:18 a.m.

Fight is on!

Maryland is not South either.  lol

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/22/22 7:26 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

I'm trying to follow you on the "OK was Confederate" thing. 

The Civil War was 1861-1865. OK was independent Indian Territory from 1834-1907. It was identified as the Oklahoma Territory (a US Jurisdiction) from 1890-1907. It was admitted to the Union on November 16, 1907 as the 46th state. 

I don't see it on any list of states that fought in the Confederacy. 

I think you need to reconsider that one. Oklahoma didn't exist during the Civil War.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/22/22 7:56 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Appleseed said:

Middle Island is a small island, just 18.5 hectares (46 acres) in area.[1] It is the southernmost point of land in Canada, located at 41°41'N, 82°41"W (41.685,-82.684), or about 41.7 degrees north latitude. It lies in Lake Erie, just south of Pelee Island, and is part of Point Pelee National Park. It forms part of the province of Ontario. The southernmost part of the island lies some 150 metres (164 yards) from the U.S. maritime boundary. The distance to the northernmost point of land in Canada—Cape ColumbiaEllesmere Island—is 4,640 kilometres (2,883 miles).

The southernmost point of Middle Island is at a latitude of North 41°40'53", which is at a slightly lower latitude than the southernmost point in Michigan and slightly farther south than downtown Chicago. Twenty-seven U.S. states lie fully or partly north of this point, as do European cities such as Rome and Barcelona and Asian cities such as Sapporo. Thirteen states are entirely north of this latitude (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine).[2] California, Nevada, and Utah, albeit only their northernmost edge, are amongst the states that lie partially north of Middle Island, as their northern border is at the 42nd parallel northGreece’s northernmost town, Ormenio, lies slightly north of Middle Island.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
4/22/22 8:27 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

If that was drawn with the most northern point of the US as the line.  But I digress... 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/22/22 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Haha!  Touche!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/22/22 8:32 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

If I were not so lazy, I would post a link to a video explaining that there's a line where there are more Americans living north of than Canadians south of.  When 90% of Canada lives south of that line.  Or something like that.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/22/22 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Can't disagree.  Funny accent, obsession with hockey, etc...  It all fits.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/22/22 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Just sharing some odd facts about a small place/island in Canada that happens to be in my local playground.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/22/22 8:44 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to John Welsh :

If I were not so lazy, I would post a link to a video explaining that there's a line where there are more Americans living north of than Canadians south of.  When 90% of Canada lives south of that line.  Or something like that.

Such as: 50% of Canada's population lives in the shown red zone:

Or something like 90% of the Canadian population lives less than 100 miles from a US border.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/22/22 9:21 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

Virginia is the South, too, as is West Virginia.

The entire point of West Virginia existing is that a bunch of counties in Virginia didn't agree with slavery and so separated from Virginia at the beginning of the Civil War.

WV isn't southern.  Country, maybe. Southern, no.

There's a reason Harper's Ferry is in WEST Virginia.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/22/22 9:33 a.m.
03Panther said:
Mr_Asa said:

The entire point of West Virginia existing is that a bunch of counties in Virginia didn't agree with slavery and so separated from Virginia at the beginning of the Civil War

Granted, whoever wins a conflict, for right or wrong, gets to write the history books. 

W VA did split at the time you describe, but although it is popular to repeat, the why is incorrect. 

Ok, now support your claim

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/22/22 10:23 a.m.

This thread has done better than I hoped. The cockles of my heart are warmed. 

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
4/22/22 10:45 a.m.
03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 12:58 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
03Panther said:
Mr_Asa said:

Ok, now support your claim

My family (who did not have enough money to own any slaves, or enough land to need any) did not win that war. But the family histories do not agree with the school book I had to be taught from growing up.

One could say that the books, even though obviously biased were right, and my family was full of it, but I've seen a lot more discrepancies in the books us southerners were given, than in the family. 
Even into the '60s, southern school books (NOT published in the south) taught different information than school books in the north. 
Fortunately, only one of my grandparents (moms mom) is from  the US, so I was able to learn a lot without the bias. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 1:12 p.m.

Without tying up the "our" kansas thread, we could start one for VA, at the time Jamestown was started, and all the geography that is no longer part of VA; or just on the W. VA split and, well, I'm not allowed to finish that seientice.

Like my wife, being from S. FL, and thinking she was southern. Technically, yea. But when she started traveling, she found out - not really. 
I feel the same way when in Arkansas. Lots of country, but not same as Ol' South. 

Someone mentioned sweet tea: when you ask the wait staff if they have sweet tea, and they reply "no, we have regular tea..." ya know your no longer in the south!

Another: if they think a bagel is a replacement for biscuits...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/22/22 1:58 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

You didn't really answer the question. 

What is your understanding of the reason WV split from VA?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/22/22 2:02 p.m.

It's Arkansas, who cares. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/22/22 2:37 p.m.
Toyman! said:

It's Arkansas, who cares. 

What I want to know is, where's Their-kansas?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/22/22 3:46 p.m.

Just asked one of my best friends about it - he was raised by his Grandparents, who were raised in Arkansas (Grandma) and Alabama (Grandpa). My friend grew up north of Chicago, currently lives in Madison, and spent his summers with his Grandma and Great Grandma in Arkansas, and frequently visited his dad in Georgia and his grandpa's family in Alabama. 

I asked him "Is Arkansas part of the midwest or the South, and when you order tea, do you get sweet tea or hot tea?"

He said "Sweet Tea, which should answer the first question". He also had some stuff about not feeling welcome in certain establishments in both Arkansas and Alabama due to his color... Take that for what you will, hopefully that isn't representative of the south anymore, but it has only been 15 years since he was there.

I'd really like to hear how somebody could defend it being anywhere but the south. FBC, what in the name of Sam Walton prompted this discussion?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sOirP47EdFEg04NAmxGrlo8EVmOeVaEMOxdVw74kREhptMpJrm8l0APEVesuRSj2