1 2
oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/7/11 5:57 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
Salanis wrote: If you look back, you will notice that one of the big things that concerned our founding father's was that an unenlightened, uninformed majority could have the power to infringe on the liberties of a minority. That is one of the big reasons for a representative democracy.
Those founding fathers had no qualms about infringing liberties and freedoms of non-land owning non-white males. Everything I have ever read made it pretty darn clear that things like the electoral college were set up to ensure unenlightened uninformed people did not have a say.

The FF's most certainly had qualms but their objective was to form a union first. The slave-holding colonies would have backed out if they were forced to deal with the issue, hence no USA.

The Electoral College was an integral part of the Constitution. Yes, it is a compromise, but do you really want a poplularity contest used to select a President? It's almost as if the FF's could envision reality tv and its' consequences.

When things need changing, there's always the Amendment process. If it's going to be done, at least do it the right way.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/7/11 7:19 a.m.

Yeah, our founding fathers got a lot of things wrong and were certainly no infallible. I think the best evidence of their wisdom is that they seemed aware that they didn't know or have the best answers everything. Yeah, they probably put the electoral college in place primarily because they thought the majority of people were idiots whose judgement they did not trust. Considering an 8th grade education level was an accomplishment back then, I can understand that.

Point remains. Majority rule is a really easy way of trampling on the rights of the minority. Direct democracy is a good way to get things passed without thought being put into the consequences.

Look to California as a great example of what direct democracy can get you. Our proposition system has caused more harm than good.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/7/11 7:35 a.m.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/7/11 8:38 a.m.

Well there is always "benevolent tyranny". It's nice while it lasts, if you're on the right side, but oh the price at both ends...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
djwbSIKh2oVkPJXFXi5f6slsURaqSK54V0m1I71ia44xpMACF16dZaadYlyvrRGn